cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route from NJ to Kittery Maine??

cappiellom
Explorer
Explorer
My family is taking a trip to Maine with our 29ft Gulfstream Conquest. I guess I have two questions:

First how to I get around the NO LP gas rule on the NJ Turnpike but still avoid the NJ Parkway and its low clearances.

Secondly, should I try to take the GW bridge or go further north to the Tappanzee?

We are planning on leaving in the middle of the night. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
The Nj Turnpike has a rule stating “no carrying gas in extra containers, but they mean gasoline, not propane in a 20 pound cylinder.
It’s the tunnels from nj to ny that prohibit propane, as well as the tunnel in Maryland near Baltimore.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of a propane restriction for RVs on the NJ TPK. I've traveled it numerous times with the rv.

Not sure where you are so...

I'd take the NJ TPK to 287 North. At Mahwah take 87 North (NYS Thruway) to:
Option 1: Newburg - pick up 84 into Connecticut to I-95, Mass Pike. If you go this way fuel up just before hitting the Mass Pike. Its way cheaper, and there happens to be a Cracker Barrel at the exit. FWIW we always seem to hit lots of traffic around Hartford, CT.
Option 2: Take 87 all the way up and pick up 95 (Mass Pike) from there. Yes, its longer then 84. Perhaps the time is the same but the stress and aggravation sure isn't.

Take the Mass Pike to 495, avoid Boston. You'll pick 95 backup north of Boston. There is a Cabellas with great overnight parking just off 495 if your looking for a overnight. They also have a dump station ($) if you need it and a grocery store in the same parking lot.

And FYI - The TapanZee Bridge is no more. Its been replaced by the Mario Cuomo Bridge. No change to the route but you might notice the name discrepancy.

My suggestions are based on numerous trips from northern NJ to Maine over the years. Might not always be the fastest route, but it gets us there safely and not feeling stressed out. Or with the warned about broken axels from the miserable excuse for some roads around NYC. Happy Trails!
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
I think we are up to x4 on clouddriver's directions - we go from FL to ME twice a year - you could not pay me to use GW
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on what clouddriver said, have been going to maine for over 40 yrs(multiple times per year)and this is the route we use 90 % of the time.

I also use the turnpike with my 4th wheel all the time with no issues... I have never heard of that rule for the NJ Pike.... NOW, the Pa pike has the rule posted for the tunnel on the Northern section...

Sometimes the rule pertains to BULK and excludes RV’s.....

AND - I second CloudDriver’s way of going to Kittery...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use this site to avoid the nasty stuff .
Road conditions TRAFFIC / Construction

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the NJ Turnpike many times heading south of exit 7A and have never been questioned at a toll booth about carrying propane. I couldn't find anything online about a propane restriction on the Turnpike either.

We also have used the entire length of the GSP with no issues regarding propane or bridge height. There are several arched bridges between exits 135 and about 150 that have clearances below 13'-6" at the road shoulder. These are well signed and if you are worried about being too tall just drive one lane over from either the right and left in that section.

No way would we take the GW bridge. We always take the Tappan Zee.

Here's the route we use to get to Maine:

GSP to NY Turnpike over the Tappan Zee to I684 to I84 to I90 to I290 to I495 to I95.

Enjoy your trip, we plan to head to Maine again in September.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure there's still a no LP rule on the NJ turnpike? I see lots of mentions of it on RV forums but searching the turnpike authorities site and the NJ Administrative code doesn't bring up anything relevant searching for propane, open cylinder, or open highway. In fact the most recent thing I can find related to the turnpike is a 2015 rule telling the turnpike authority to install battery charging, LPG and Propane filling facilities to encourage alternative fuel vehicle use.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid 95 N @ GW bridge thru the Bronx, its a parking lot unless you attempt it 2AM but you'll still have potholes to break your axles and hitch.
Make it easy on yourself :
North 287 over the Tappan Zee east to rt 684 north to rt 84 east across CT. Time it to avoid cities in Conn. like Hartford CT. at rush hour .

Conn. Ex 10 on rt 84 is good 24hr. place to stop. You can tow a medium size TT or 30 ft MH around the rear of the Mobil station to gas/diesel up at the side pumps or just use the far end island out in front. Blue Colony Diner next door is good with drive around parking in the rear. They let rv's park back there. You also have exit 27 for a T&A truck stop which you might find easier.

I would avoid Boston , look at rt 190 rt 290 or better yet rt 495 might be a good bypass to get you across to rt 95 east of Boston on up to Maine.