cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen WDH

Wildride64
Explorer
Explorer
I have a FR Wildwood Heritage Glen 299RE TT and I tow it with a 2018 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax CC. My question is, do any of you use the Andersen WDH? I read posts talking about the Hensley, Blue Ox, etc.. But I don't see many posts about the Andersen hitch.

Thank you,
Randy
14 REPLIES 14

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Andersen. I have used the spring bar type WDH as well on previous trailers. I did a lot of reading before I went with Andersen. Great anti-sway and weight distribution. Quiet and not porpoising/bouncing.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great. I did notice that once I loaded our trailer I had to add another one or two twists to the nuts. It's a great hith
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Wildride64
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I have an update, I picked up my TT this past Saturday, my DW and I started from scratch setting up our Andersen WDH. We leveled the trailer, took our measurements, set the hitch height, (the instructions say to set the ball a little higher than the coupler, but I had set it to where it was just about even because if I had used the next higher set of bolt holes it would have been 3" higher than the coupler), I adjusted the tension so the nose of the trailer was level and my TV front measurement was within a 1/2" of normal ride height. We drove the hour home and I must say that it performed very well, no sway, no porpoising and handled the big bumps very well. I can't wait to see how it performs on our 350 mile trip this weekend.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Andersen WDH and I have negative comments. I also have positive comments. I love how light it is and my DW is willing and able to fully set it up if asked. I also like how quiet it is and that I don't have to do anything different when backing my trailer.

For me it definitely does not put much weight back onto my front wheels. I also had to chase wiggle issues that the OP isn't likely to have with a 3/4 ton truck. In reading other Andersen threads earlier this year it seemed like all the 100% happy users were in 3/4 ton trucks. For reference my TT is a bit over 6,000 lbs loaded to travel.

I corrected my wiggles by switching from passenger tires to LT tires, and I also bought a bracket to take some slop out of my hitch-to-receiver connection.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Been using mine for over 4 years. It's been great, no plans on changing.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Andersen Hitches
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love mine. But, I only have 700 pounds of hitch weight or less and I am towing a 3500 pound 22 foot TT with a half ton. I did have to learn to turn the chains down tight enough though. That helped me a lot

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely love mine. I have also heard that when approaching 800# tongue weight, it doesnโ€™t work as well.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Wildride64
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your replies, I really appreciate them.

Randy

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I can tell, the only negative comments about the Andersen are from those who have never used one and don't understand how it works. It is so much easier than any other WDH. I would never use another kind. I love it. And when you get on those concrete roads that have separations that bounce you around...the Andersen beats any hitch out there.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Search here and on irv2.com and forestriverforums.com and find multiple threads. Have one would not go back.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen will work great in your application. GM says that a WD hitch is not "Required" for your trailer. The Andersen is quiet, clean, lightweight. It will help with "porpoising" on rough roads. Lots of information available with a search. Most people who have one, like them. Several members who don't like what they don't have, don't like them.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The main attraction of the Andersen No-Sway hitch is it's exceptionally light weight. If head weight doesn't bother you though a Blue Ox Sway Pro or Equal-i-zer would work quite well with your combination. A Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P are entirely different animals, in an entirely different price range - i.e. several times more than a Sway Pro or EQ. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

APT
Explorer
Explorer
From ths posts on this forum, it seems the Anderson does not work well approaching 800+ pounds of loaded TW. I expect your TT will have more than that, however, you probably do not need 100% front axle restoration either.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)