cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow Jeep Wrangler or Dolly Tow a Mini?

TxOily
Explorer
Explorer
Rig is a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk with the usual E450 chassis and Ford V10 engine. Hitch is 7500-pounds and 750-pound tongue weight. Relatively new to this RV stuff, but not unfamiliar with towing. Love the rig but could use some added mobility and flexibility.

Considering the purchase of a toad and leaning toward an Acme tow dolly and the small 2-Dr Mini for two of us and the dog. Alternate choice would be the Jeep. Have seen many Jeeps flat towed, so would consider that route.

Would appreciate the combined wisdom of RV-Net members as to their experience and recommendations.
11 REPLIES 11

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Set up my '07 mini to tow and towed it around 200 miles. Towed great but supplemental braking only worked on 1(low) and as soon as it started rolling interior lights would come on and miles would run. I thought I wanted a tow rig but at my age 45, I realized it was more hassle than I needed as we mostly just do quick trips. Good luck with your setup whichever you decide.
P.S. do not buy a '07-'10 mini N14 engine has flaws. N18 fixed issues I think. Do your research.
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

TxOily
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good advice....

Price is a driving factor as we don't need all the rugged capability of the Jeep. Spent a good bit of my career bouncing about oilfield lease roads in a 4WD vehicle (and some in a 2WD Crown Vic), so no real desire to do that. Reason for the Mini is price (roughly half the Jeep) and flexibility; it's easy to maneuver and park. It's also a better choice of vehicle when not towing.

Watched a few videos of Mini owners that tow; it's what gave me the idea it could be done. Also watched a few on tow dollies... thanks You Tube.

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a video made by a couple who actually tow a Mini 4-down. They like their Mini a lot but they mention one disadvantage.....if you're a tall guy. Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFp8lOLUKBw

Safe travels............... ed s
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Can you drive a Standard? Most still 4 down towable. We have Hyundai Elantra 2800 lbs, 35+mpg and is comfortable a roomy for 2. Dont see many being towed, kia is the other sister to the hyundai.

Guy we bought the MH from flat towed a mini cooper. Told us they were not capable
of being towed that way. I guess it was a standard not sure? If you need bigger old hondas can be towed with auto trans accord, CRV etc but these are all early to mid 2000's. jeeps are relatively expensive as everyone wants new car prices it seems. my 94 ranger is flat towable with the manal trans

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbigham wrote:
Jeep. More options, can load with more stuff, take to beach, snow. 4 wheels down means 4 wheels braking. Jeep dealers (and parts) more common than mini. Suspension better on rough roads, campgrounds. Work out what you want to see and do when you get there, and choose vehicle with most options.

Everything he said ^^^^^ Towing my Jeep has zero effect on my fuel mileage or handling. Once set up properly, don't go cheap with magnetic lights and no braking system, it is easy to hook and unhook and so worth having with you. So many beautiful roads off the beaten path in National Campgrounds etc that a mini just couldn't go.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jeep. More options, can load with more stuff, take to beach, snow. 4 wheels down means 4 wheels braking. Jeep dealers (and parts) more common than mini. Suspension better on rough roads, campgrounds. Work out what you want to see and do when you get there, and choose vehicle with most options.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I think the mini is four wheels up, no dolly towing. Please confirm with the manual.

I agree that you may not even need it, especially if you travel to metro areas when car sharing is easily available.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What do you wan to use the vehicle for predominantly?

For exploring off-road or far back-road places, the Jeep is clearly better. For quick trips into town or down the highway to some destination, the Mini would be more comfortable and economical.

Flat towing is generally more convenient than using a dolly. A dolly does allow for a broader range of vehicles: any front wheel drive vehicle can be safely towed with a dolly (provided, of course, it physically fits on it).

If it were me, I would first try without any toad and see how it goes before spending the money to buy a vehicle and appurtenances. Perhaps you've already done that and concluded that it's worth your time and money and effort; and if so, that's great. I might also think about some other vehicle possibilities: a Honda Fit, for one example, with a manual transmission can be flat towed--and the 2013 and older models with an automatic can also be flat towed, but not the newer ones with the CVT--and is a very practical little car, and surprisingly roomy inside.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for the Jeep.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Wrangler is 4x4. To tow an AWD or 4x4 is All or Nothing. Either four-down "flat" with Tow Bar if OK by manufacturer, which Wrangler is, or four-up on a Trailer. If you wanted to use a Dolly for some reason, you'd have to drive the front up onto the Dolly, then slide under and disconnect the Rear Drive Shaft. Not what you want to do RVing... If you had a dolly and needed to transport a Wrangler someplace one time, dolly and pull drive shaft would make sense.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Personally, I prefer towing 4 wheels down. Quicker to hook and unhook and no need for another piece of equipment that may be a hindrance in some campgrounds or RV parks. I towed 2 different Saturns.