Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Replacing Battery Interconnect Solinoid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Replacing Battery Interconnect Solinoid

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, if you got 12 VDC between the two small terminals with the dash switch ON, then the solenoid is bad.

If you do not have 12 VDC between the two small terminals, disconnect the one that should have 12 VDC positive from the dash switch and use a small jumper wire (small gauge is fine) from either large lug that is over 12 VDC to the small positive terminal. You should hear the solenoid click and read the same voltage on both large terminals.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

camperguy99

Loveland CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that's good advice. But my Trombetta would click and slam the contacts shut but they were so gunked up with black plastic that it was still an open circuit. Filing the contacts made the connection good but I destroyed the housing getting to the contacts! Hello new White Rodgers 15V solenoid. Works great!

subtroll

Hayes, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is our 15th season with this rig and AC shore and Generator have always charged both batteries. I'm using a maintainer now until I replace the solenoid.

2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

211kevinrichard

Leonard

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electrical Equipment Industry and Used Electrical Supplies
Yagi is a world-class used electrical equipment and electrical supplier across Texas. We offer to to repurpose program for your used electrical equipment.

Electrical Equipment Industry and Used Electrical Supplies

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

subtroll wrote:

My 2004 National Tropi-cal electric systems appear to be working property except both Chassis and Coach batteries remain isolated from each other. AC sources(shore and generator) charge coach batteries fine but do not charge chassis batteries. Engine alternator charges my new chassis batteries fine.

Have located the Battery Interconnect Solenoid (out of the way behind a circuit board) and measure chassis battery voltage on one side and coach battery voltage on opposite side (~1 VDC difference). Measured 12 VDC on one control terminal indicating solenoid is energized but not connecting batteries. (I assume solenoid is normally open and closed when energized.) Believe that also confirms that whatever relay actuates the relay is OK.

Looks like replacement will require both sets of batteries and AC power to be disconnected and I don't know what solenoid to order. Looks to be similar to Battery disconnect relay in another compartment. Think I'll wait until my road trips are complete this year before replacing it.

Any suggestions?

You might first test it further by actuating your dash switch. If nothing happens, have someone hold it in, while you check for voltage on the coil terminals.
Also there should be voltage on the coil terminals, when one of the battery banks reach full charge.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

phays

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have an insulated coil solenoid since you have two small terminals. The Cole Hersee would be a great replacement. However you might consider the 24213. It has silver alloy contacts not copper as the earlier one referenced.

I purchased one from from Cole Hersee 24213 Solenoid

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Replacing Battery Interconnect Solinoid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS