cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good hose gone bad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
So I've been using this same 25' hose for many years. It was a high quality hose when I bought it and it's still just as sound as when new.
Here's the weird part, after all these years it suddenly stinks like the inside of an old car that's been sitting in a junkyard for decades. It was fine two weeks ago!
The hose isn't rotted or sticky like some old garden hoses get, it just stinks. After handling it I had to wash my hands and arms twice and change my shirt to get rid of the smell.
I ended up carrying it with a stick like a dead snake and dumping it in the CG dumpster.
Fortunately I had the cheapo Camco hose that came with the trailer. It worked fine but made the water taste like plastic.

Has anyone else ever had a good hose go bad?
15 REPLIES 15

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to rvwaterfilterstore.com buy their white hose at the length and connections you want. Hose will last MANY years and is flexible in even cold weather. I bought 5', 15' and 25' lengths.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good idea to replace any older hose. The plasticizers in most of those hoses are now banned as hazardous materials. Flexible PVC and bpa containing plastics were used in those older hoses and are no longer approved for drinking water.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Green stuff will grow in one of those translucent thin white hoses even if water is always moving. The algae etc latches onto the plastic and the sun and whatever might be in the water feeds it.
A lined hose preferably one with silver in the lining designated for drinking water is perhaps the best equipment...with stainless steel ends or at least solid not plated tin fittings.
Not sure if it is still available but you could buy any length then they shrunk it to minimum fifty feet with ends of course. Wasn't cheap.
Then we had the lined blue hoses, which is what we ended up with , with stainless fittings. The copies we now find are hard to flex and have aluminum ends that are perhaps no better than the plated sheet tins.
A lot of bleach will deteriorate the inside of the hose particularily rubber hoses if you still have one.
People who sit in one spot all season will cover their hoses with either with split pvc pipe sections, which should preferable be darker than that maybe the gray pipe or cover it from the sun someway. Birds will peck holes sometimes in the thin cheap hoses, who may rupture or spit the fittings off too as well as thing sewer hoses.
I really don't know a good way to dry the inside of a hose unless you have plenty of time perhaps a funnel and strong fan. ๐Ÿ™‚
Water sitting in them is breeding ground for algae and other things anywhere.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What type of material and construction? Not that it matters, but what brand/model? A PVC based hose shouldn't go bad because of the material's "inertness" but as mentioned, maybe some kinda bacterial matter or pathogen started to grow inside?

Where and what CG did this happen at? Maybe we should put it on a never go there list? Was it just the hose or did the water source smell off?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have also tried to run bleach through my hose. In addition to being a nuisance I realized that was something I was not likely to do on a regular basis. I do try to run several gallons of water through the hose before using it to fill my tank.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
At prep time for every trip, I sanitize my fresh water tank. I hook up my hoses - it takes two from the hose bib, but before I hook the end to the bib, I pour in a 1/4 cup or so of bleach into the end of the hose. Onto the bib it goes, and I slowly open the valve. The water mixes & pushes the bleach into the tank. It's a pretty strong dose through the hose, but just about the right sanitizing mix after filling the tank.

After running bleachy water through the lines, I let it set while draining the tank. Those lines are flushed after the tank has been filled a second time.

The hoses have lasted for years, but I suspect they, too, will die someday. Might be after I do... then I won't care!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,

You know the way people keep saying that tires go bad sitting still??
Same~Same

The components of of the material were separating. There is nothing that can be done to prevent it and not much can be done.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had hoses go "Bad" but not in that way... The hose I'm using now techinally has gone "Bad" 3 times
First one end failed and was repalced
Then the other
Then when I had it hooked to way too much pressure in SC last spring washing the RV it developed leaks a foot or 3 in from each end so I shortened it and it's still doing the job.

I have a brand new 25' hose in case this short hose is too short.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The inside of the hose virtually never dries. Can you imagine what grows in there and is usually ignored?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks ago the water source probably had microbes that grew/festered while hose was stowed for past 2 weeks.

A good dose of bleach inside the hose would have probably taken care of the issue
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Given the avg age and gender of the members on here, prolly lots of good hoses gone bad....

Ain't that the truth....lol

I've been using the same hose through 3 RV's now. One of those white ones that rolls up in a self store container. Probably don't even sell them anymore and mine don't stink. Least I don't think it does in as much as I haven't sniffed it lately...lol

Oh you didn't have to sniff this one. Just opening the compartment was enough to set you back.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Given the avg age and gender of the members on here, prolly lots of good hoses gone bad....

Ain't that the truth....lol

I've been using the same hose through 3 RV's now. One of those white ones that rolls up in a self store container. Probably don't even sell them anymore and mine don't stink. Least I don't think it does in as much as I haven't sniffed it lately...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:

:h :B

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold