cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Custer State Park to watch the Buffalo Roundup

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about making a trip to watch the Buffalo roundup... I've wanted to do this for the past 15 or 20 years. We always take an Anniversary trip every year in September, and we're not getting any younger... so we will try to cross this off our bucket list!

I think we will stop at the Amana Colonies, and any other stops we can think of... Any recommendations of campgrounds or stops would be appreciated. I have about 1,250 miles each way, but I want to hold our time to 8 to 10 days... I still work. LOL
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member
10 REPLIES 10

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
yes, get reservations as soon as you can. LOTS of people attend the roundup. get there a couple days ahead so you can take in the arts and crafts fair and also take advantage of the close out sales in all the park's gift shops.
you don't have to get to the roundup overlook site until about 9 or 10am but no later than that. there is a pancake breakfast at the site.
if you are short, take a small step ladder with you to stand on so you can see over the heads of all the folks who are in front of you, ha ha. and take binoculars if you have a pair.

Thanks! We have reservations at Rafter J, I just made them last evening. HaHa I am not short, so I should be OK, however my wife may need that ladder ๐Ÿ™‚ Good idea about the binoculars, we will bring a couple pair with us. Re will be arriving 9/25 and the roundup is the 28th... Thanks for all of the information!

RVman / John
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
yes, get reservations as soon as you can. LOTS of people attend the roundup. get there a couple days ahead so you can take in the arts and crafts fair and also take advantage of the close out sales in all the park's gift shops.
you don't have to get to the roundup overlook site until about 9 or 10am but no later than that. there is a pancake breakfast at the site.
if you are short, take a small step ladder with you to stand on so you can see over the heads of all the folks who are in front of you, ha ha. and take binoculars if you have a pair.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all of the information... It sounds like I had better try to get reservations...

I used to Pheasant Hunt every year in Cosgrove, Iowa. On that hunting trip we always took time to go to the Amanas for the Family Style food... so I thought since we would be driving by, I should treat my wife to some great food...

Again, Thanks for all of the help!

RVman / John
RVman3252

Good Sam Life Member

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
This event really draws crowds so you may have trouble getting an RV site in/near Custer this late. If so, try a little further away as in Hill City area or Keystone.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
It's a fairly easy two day trip at least from Dayton. You may want to take a southern route and a northern route since there are things to see on both. We have stayed at the Lewis and Clark Park which is big and seems to always have sites. We like the Corn Palace kind of a tourist place but one of a kind. Also Wall Drug the real tourist place. So much to see and do in the Black Hills would need more time to see everything. We generally stay at Ellsworth AFB but a lot of people like the Rafter J. Enjoy your trip.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We were there a few years back. It was a good show. There is camping in Custer State park, but it was way full before we even thought about it. We ended up staying at a local commercial FHU with most of the amenities closed but we were charged for them anyway. But Hay (pun intended) make it while you can.
In the park, they had shuttles from the parking to the viewing areas, but be real ready to wait or walk.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We did the Buffalo Roundup a couple years back. What a sight to see, you have to get there very early in the morning. I think the time was 5a.m. or close to it. To me it was well worth it. Everyone should see it at least once. We stayed at Fort WeLikIt in custer. Very nice clean park close to everything you will need.

As for Amana the only spot is the Amana RV park (am there now)
the Iowa Good Sam has their rally there every year. FHU all sites are back to back camping, but there are more than enough sites to make it a good stay. Check out the meat market and the brewery.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The Amana Colonies RV Park is a good campground. Close to Amana so make sure you hit the meat market and pick up some smoked pork chops which are great. The sausages are good too.

The buffalo round up is kind of a joke. Big tourist trap stuff. They position the buffalo over the hill and then shoo them past you. It doesn't pay to be an old buffalo in the park as you are headed for the buffalo burger plant.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very very few state parks in South Dakota have water at sites.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Stockade Lake South a couple of years back. The sites are a little smaller than some of the others because I think it is one of the older campgrounds, but we were quite happy.

They have a good shower/bathrooms but no H20 at sites. Not a problem to haul a few gallons to your site or fill your tanks before you get settled.

Overall, we had a awesome time and would stay at that campground again.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation