Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 880
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 2,424
MEASUREMENTS
Height 11' 2''
Length 37' 3''
My wdh is a blue ox swaypro 2 1200lb bars
TV 2005 Silverado 2500hd duramax CC 4x4
w/ Toyo open country rt 295/55r20 10 ply with 65psi

The issue I have isn't sway it's porpoising when I encounter multiple dips and or humps I get alot of bouncing. I have tweaked weight front to back and back to front with minimal noticeable difference, any input on this to improve my tow is greatly appreciated.
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL
18 REPLIES 18

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I’m going to agree with gritdog that it’s the weight distribution of the trailer. Even with proper tongue weight if you have a lot of weight forward and aft instead of centralized this is what you get. I did 20k towing miles with a 06 2500 Silverado and factory hitch wth 1200lbs of tongue weight without porpoising and bounce. Most of that was with a standard round bar WD and no sway control.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
And here is my actual post on another thread about the hitch and my weights..

I dont run on link 8.. too hard..

I still run on 9 and am about 140 lbs lite on the front of the truck.

It works, tows true and straight. no sway. Sumos work well for the sag.. I left them in..

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/wd-dilemma-cat-scale-weights-140426.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
D-C-Johnson wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
37' and 7256 lbs is not much weight for that long of a TT. I'm guessing the OP's getting some flex at the tongue. This is what happens when you combine Ultra Lite and ultra long.

I hope that isn't going to be a just deal with it issue goducks10. I am going to start with changing rear shocks on the truck and move some weight forward, I hope that fixes most of it, also probably going to replace the factory hitch with a class V, looking at https://www.realtruck.com/curt-class-v-trailer-hitch/15300.html?utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_source=... more for a comfort after reading up on the factory hitch issue even tho mine looks good with no signs of the issue.

Yup thats the hitch I got. Why did I overkill so much for my 1500 silverado? Because it was cheaper then the lower grade model.

I did the shocks first. The porpoising improved but not all. When I changed the hitch it all went away.

Im on 9th link myself. I have head tilted as far back as it can go with all 7 or 8 washers in there. 740 tongue weight.

Its hard to get all the weight restored to front of truck on the GM's with the torsion bar front suspension. So dont try to over chain the wd bars.

Scale it when done. get 3 passes as outlined here.

The only goal with wd hitch is to get the front close to truck alone weights..

http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is almost identical to yours. You’ll probably never get all of the porpoising out of it but you can eliminate most of it. First, get top notch shocks. Big difference. I added an inexpensive gizmo called StalbleLoad. It fits on the spring pack to engage the overload spring. It can be disengaged when not towing and is pretty effective.
And the last that really gets poo pooed on this forum is a Gen-Y hitch. It comes on it’s own stinger and your wdh head bolts right to it. What it does is isolate the trailer from the tv. It’s a rubber torsion device that gives instead of transferring the bounce to the truck. I don’t know how to explain the physics but I do know it works. A bit pricey at 5 bills and kinda heavy but soooo worth it. Not only has most of the porpoisin gone away, but on small to moderate size road bumps I don’t feel anything after the truck goes over the bump. I can also tell a difference in the trailer. Things are not jostled around so much. The company claims it’s also easier on the tranny because it doesn’t jerk it back and forth so much. Check it out, it’s worth a google search.

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
37' and 7256 lbs is not much weight for that long of a TT. I'm guessing the OP's getting some flex at the tongue. This is what happens when you combine Ultra Lite and ultra long.

I hope that isn't going to be a just deal with it issue goducks10. I am going to start with changing rear shocks on the truck and move some weight forward, I hope that fixes most of it, also probably going to replace the factory hitch with a class V, looking at https://www.realtruck.com/curt-class-v-trailer-hitch/15300.html?utm_campaign=product_ads&utm_source=... more for a comfort after reading up on the factory hitch issue even tho mine looks good with no signs of the issue.
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably hitch flex. I assume you have the factory GM hitch receiver? It is not stiff enough to properly transfer the loads from a good WD hitch, so as if flexes, you feel it as bouncing.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
D-C-Johnson wrote:
I don't know exacts, but loaded weight should be roughly between 9000-9500lbs and my tongue weight around 1000lbs. The TT does not have shocks just leaf springs. I am running my WDH(blue ox swaypro2) on the 9th link as my dealer said that was recommended and the truck only sags at most one inch and the TT runs level. I didn't have this issue with my previous TT which was 32ft and 7000lbs loaded with at most 900lbs tongue weight.

1. You should get some actual scale weights. They might surprise you.

2. The number of chain links varies with every truck / trailer combo. There is no standard number of links. I installed my BlueOx Swaypro 1500, and from what I remember of the installation manual, it said start with link 7, then adjust up or down as necessary. Link 9 sounds a bit weak on weight distribution. Without accurate weights or using fender well measurements, your just guessing on WDH adjustments. Note: Tongue weight is not a constant number. It goes up and down during every trip. Adjust your WDH to support your highest tongue weight.

3. Is your bouncy ride with or without water on board? I noticed in the specs, your grey water capacity is 78 gallons. That suggests more than one grey tank. Mine does, and my on board water levels can change my tongue weight by as much as 250 lbs. My fresh tank is behind the axles and takes weight off the tongue, my black and grey tanks are directly above the axles and have little to no effect on tongue weight, and my galley tank is way up front, where it adds a lot of tongue weight. My loaded weight is 7400 lbs and my tongue weight can be anywhere between 975 and 1225 lbs.

Your bouncy ride could be caused by a combination of several things. Springs, hitch adjustment (ball height, chain links), shocks, tire inflation, trailer loading, bad roads, etc.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If you scale at 9200lbs then your tongue weight should be 1200lbs. If your at 1000lbs then that’s too low. You want 12% of the trailers loaded for travel weight!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is the new trailer @ss heavy? That leverage will make 'er porpoise like a dolphin.

Long trailer for a "older" srw HD? Umm, no, not really. Capability from the GMT800s to current is not that different. Power, yes, ability to handle a load, not alot.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
If original **** GM factory shocks are still on the truck your riding around on springs with no dampening what so ever. As mentioned shocks on your truck are likey your issue.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know exacts, but loaded weight should be roughly between 9000-9500lbs and my tongue weight around 1000lbs. The TT does not have shocks just leaf springs. I am running my WDH(blue ox swaypro2) on the 9th link as my dealer said that was recommended and the truck only sags at most one inch and the TT runs level. I didn't have this issue with my previous TT which was 32ft and 7000lbs loaded with at most 900lbs tongue weight.
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with most if not all of the above, but, does the trailer have shock absorbers? If not....that could magnify the situation!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
What is your loaded for a trip weight? what is your loaded tongue weight? without that you and us are just guessing. its very possible your light on the tongue and with the WD pulled up it is exaggerating the porposing.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!