cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thought you guys might find this interesting!

Earth_to_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! Thought I’d share something with you all that I saw on our last outing a few weekends ago. My girlfriend and I along with another couple took a trip down to Baltimore together with our camper. The real purpose of the weekend was to go skydiving (I abstained lol) and afterwards we found our way to Patapsco State Park, which really was quite a nice place to stay. After getting our spot set up for the night we walked up to grab some firewood from the campground host and as we got to their spot I found they had quite an interesting set up.

As you can probably see it is an older fiberglass truck camper, I’m assuming two pieces similar to Bigfoot and Northern Lite designs, planted atop a steel trailer with extra storage underneath the cabover. From my conversation with the owners they told me it was a model built by a company called American Road and they were commissioned by Chevrolet to go on their C10 pickups back in the late 70s. The gentleman they bought it from evidently built steel trailers just like the one on which the camper sits, and he would travel to Carlisle PA and various car shows to promote his custom car trailers. Apparently he triple towed truck, trailer/camper, and a stack of trailers behind that! Sorry I don’t have any pictures of the inside, but I found it an interesting set up and story none-the-less.
2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW CC
2018 Arctic Fox 990
11 REPLIES 11

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
How often it rains in Australia?
In Las Vegas we had 2 rains and 3 drizzles last winter.
Looking at the link, I like the hose-able floors in those trailers.
Rotten floor is the biggest issue on US trailers, even on aluminium body Airstreams.

Depends where you are. In Far North Queensland, it is tropical( think Vietnam). Most coastal areas are like Europe. Only the centre of Australia is dry

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm also thinking about doing this. A long trailer to house my 1181 and my 15 foot bayliner. Thinking a while now.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
How often it rains in Australia?
In Las Vegas we had 2 rains and 3 drizzles last winter.
Looking at the link, I like the hose-able floors in those trailers.
Rotten floor is the biggest issue on US trailers, even on aluminium body Airstreams.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Hybrid Caravan Very similar too a Hybrid Caravan.Everytime in rains in Australia , you get another manufacturer appear. Replacing Camper Trailers, as in Roy's signature

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Its not a new idea for sure... I have looked at this photo on google search a few times. Lots of built-in storage space on the trailer...

Roy Ken

Looks like with 7' wide trailer he can use the jacks?
But still, lot of people consider TC as redneck, so this would qualify as Super Redneck?

Earth_to_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
Troutguy wrote:
Actually American Road Campers were available directly at Ford dealerships circa approx. 1975ish’.
I don’t believe that GM ever sold them but as usual I could be wrong.......

Here’s a website with info..
http://www.americanroadcamper.com/

Oh you’re probably right, I thought he said C10 pickups but I am probably wrong. After all this was a few weeks ago now.
2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW CC
2018 Arctic Fox 990

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Actually American Road Campers were available directly at Ford dealerships circa approx. 1975ish’.
I don’t believe that GM ever sold them but as usual I could be wrong.......

Here’s a website with info..
http://www.americanroadcamper.com/

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its not a new idea for sure... I have looked at this photo on google search a few times. Lots of built-in storage space on the trailer...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Won’t win any beauty contests.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I'm seeing more and more of these... and actually, pretty kewl...

I'd consider it if I were starting all over again with a buggy...
nice..

Nice...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

azrving
Explorer
Explorer