cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Worst US/Canadian border crossing

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Post your worst border crossing experiences. Just looking for tips etc for a smooth crossing
Proud father of a US Marine
54 REPLIES 54

shaz60
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing from Quebec into Vermont in our old minivan we weren't even questioned but they had a dog out sniffing the entire exterior. At the time our two sons were teenagers and sometimes used the van. I remember saying to my husband, "If that dog finds so much as a seed, someone is dead!" Luckily for the boys we were waved through.

Also remember as a kid coming into US through Detroit. It was my parents and us 5 kids in a big old station wagon. This was before seat belts in the back. My father put the seats down and told us all to lay down and pretend we were sleeping.
Me - lifelong camper
DH - camper by marriage
7 kids, 5 grandkids, 2 camping dogs
2010 Jayco 23J

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several years ago I was coming back across the Thousands islands Bridge after one of our many fishing trips into Canada, at the time I lived in NY -- this was in a car. We no food/fish/drinks with us, but when entering the US, wildlife officers basically went through the entire car and truck. Found nothing as there was nothing to find. Left all my stuff ,fishing gear,camping gear ,etc strewn about the ground. While they were tearing apart my car, I got to witness some other US officials literally tearing apart a motorhome trying to reenter the US. That was the last time I ventured into Canada- just not worth the hassle.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well that is the number 1 worst posting to date.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a story in the news yesterday about a 19 yo girl visiting her mother in Surrey BC (south of Vancouver). She went for a jog along the beach near the Peace Arch crossing and unknowingly crossed the border. She stated she did not see any signs. US border patrol officers apprehended her and put her in a detention facility in Tacoma for 2 weeks while she got "processed"! Story.

I would say that was not a good border crossing and one she'll never forget. This is getting to be a crazy world we live in...

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Not crossing the border, but used to go through a US highway checkpoint going to and from work everyday...most of the time in a commuter van with other employees. Only bad experience was one lady driving who tried to get smart with them when asked if she was a US citizen. All of us got to sit in the desert heat and wait as a result of that even though they knew us and saw us at the checkpoint every day. Take home lesson there was to just answer the questions asked in a straightforward manner.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:
So here's a question for you. Each year, we take my RV on a trip to South Dakota to go pheasant hunting. Usually 1 or 2 other guys drive with me. We take all the guns and gear for many others who fly to Sioux Falls with only carryon bags.

This year, those of us driving are thinking about going to Canada first to hunt waterfowl before back to SD. I know we can't take their guns but can we take others' gear (clothes, boots, etc.)?

By the way, our shotguns will be locked in gun cases and stowed in the locked crossover storage on our Class C. Paperwork will be completed and presented at the border.

Thanks

You should be good to go. The Canadians don't give a hoot how you dress. As long as you do the paper work on the guns and are legal there.
Know the hunting regulations, and Have a great trip,
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
cross21114 wrote:
So here's a question for you.

This year, those of us driving are thinking about going to Canada first to hunt waterfowl before back to SD. I know we can't take their guns but can we take others' gear (clothes, boots, etc.)?

Technically speaking, no. Even clothes are โ€˜personal possessionsโ€™ are only legally imported as such by the owner.

However, I suppose itโ€™s hard to tell whoโ€™s clothes is whoโ€™s. As long as it truly is โ€˜luggageโ€™ and itโ€™s going back across the border, no harm, no foul IMHO.

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
Don't really have a bad story, but a funny one. My considerably better half accompanied me on a business trip about 20 years ago. We flew in a small six-seater aircraft from Canada to a small US airport -- they had one custom's agent on hand, for 'puddle jumper' flights arriving from Canada.

We were last in line; when we got to the officer, he looked at our passports and asked a few basic questions. Then he asked, what was the purpose of the visit? I answered truthfully that it was going to be about half business and half pleasure.

Keeping a straight face, he looked me up and down and said, "My guess is, you'd be the business...". And then looking at my wife, said, "... and you'd be the pleasure...." and then laughed loudly at his own joke. Twenty years later, we still laugh about it from time to time...

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
So here's a question for you. Each year, we take my RV on a trip to South Dakota to go pheasant hunting. Usually 1 or 2 other guys drive with me. We take all the guns and gear for many others who fly to Sioux Falls with only carryon bags.

By the way, our shotguns will be locked in gun cases and stowed in the locked crossover storage on our Class C. Paperwork will be completed and presented at the border.

Thanks
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Want to get really hasseled? buy some thing on Craig's list, and tell them about it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
2 very different stories from me. Both returning to Canada at Oroville/Osoyoos.

First time was with a 8 month old trailer (so looked brand new). CDN Dollar was much better then so I was bringing back about $1600 of stuff I knew I would have to pay something on so had all the receipts and a list made. Plus (and this was our mistake) we had stopped at Wal Mart for beer and wine on the way down (2 weeks earlier) and just didn't drink much so were bringing back 2/3rds of it. Over limit on the liquor. So pulled aside and asked for keys etc. They went through the truck and trailer from front to rear bumper. Opened everything including looking under the hood of the truck. 45 mins later they came back, said thanks for being honest and sent us on our way without any fees or anything.

Last year, similar trip but the CDN dollar was not so good so I didn't spend much. Maybe $200 of stuff at most. Again, had all the receipts and we drank every last drop of liquor, so had none on board. 2 questions and waived through in under a minute.

I've had bad experiences at airports, but that's another set of stories.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
Coming back into Detroit a few years ago the US customs guy asks where I'm going. "Detroit" is the answer. From his booth he asks if I have any guns. "No" I say. He reaches under his desk and lifts up 2 handguns to hand to me saying, "You'll need these then".

Just a little levity here.
Probably more truth to that then humor.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Coming back into Detroit a few years ago the US customs guy asks where I'm going. "Detroit" is the answer. From his booth he asks if I have any guns. "No" I say. He reaches under his desk and lifts up 2 handguns to hand to me saying, "You'll need these then".

Just a little levity here.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago the wife and I were taking separate vehicles to Lakeport State Park in MI. I towed the trailer earlier in the day and she came from work with our adopted Chinese daughter, (The wife and I are unmistakably Caucasian), then aged about 7.

There's a tricky bit on I-94 close to the Blue Water Bridge that crosses to Canada where, (if you are busy dealing with a 7 year old in the back seat), you can find yourself on the bridge with no way to turn about and heading directly to Canada... Which the wife managed to accomplish.

Nonsensically, there is nowhere you can turn around when you get to Canada if you have made a mistake so you are forced to interact with the immigration chaps there. So my wife finds herself with no documentation for her or our daughter and, possibly worse yet, no proof that the small Chinese girl lashed into a childseat in the back of the truck is legally adopted.

There was much "umming" and "aahing" and about half an hour later my wife was handed a "Refused Entry" form all dutifully filled out and was directed to turn around and go back from whence she came.

If they would just put a little turn around area before you get to immigration that allows you to cross back it would save those who make a mistake and their immigration chaps a lot of time and effort.