cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance coverage on new fiver

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
was picking up our new fifth wheel yesterday and finance guy said I had to have specific coverage for the trailer before I could pull it off the lot. Said my "generic" tow vehicle and such coverage was not adequate. I've always understood this to be the same as when you buy a new/used car, that there's a "grace period" where you've covered for 30 days until you get the detailed policy/insurance card from your carrier. He said this was a fairly new thing specific to RV's.

You'd think they would tell you that ahead of time? Hell no, instead he had a policy I could buy on the spot, then cancel and use my regular insurance the next day. This smells like them trying to get a commission on insurance doesn't it? Or is there something I don't know about in CA?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are financing it with them they may require proof of insurance but if you paid for it call your agent or simply say BITE ME and go to another dealer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
All worked out, 5er is covered and was the minute I connected it to my truck via it's coverage as well as the existing coverage from my previous RV. I've confirmed it with my agent, who is a personal friend for 40+ years.

This was/is a total scam to sell insurance under the disguise of "company policy". You should have heard him when I denied the "extended warranty" of 4k+!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously this is different than a 5th wheel, but we bought a utility trailer and the dealer used the wrong size ball (we brought both sizes with us). A few miles down the road we hit a pothole and the trailer came off (this is on I70 near Wadsworth in Denver if anybody is familiar... 5 lane highway). Thankfully, it didn't hit anybody or anything other than the bumper of our truck, and we were able to pull over safely. But, we hadn't called to put insurance on it yet, we were going to do it when we got home. Our current insurance would not have covered anything. If that trailer had caused damage or injured somebody, we could have been in deep doodoo. I ended up calling while we were sitting there waiting for the dealer to come help us.

So yeah, get your insurance in order, even if it's just a call to your agent to make sure you're OK before you leave the lot. Why risk it?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
And yes, it is the same as driving a car off the dealers lot.

I DID have a fifth wheel and the insurance card that went with it. Just like when I buy a car, show "general" proof of insurance and drive away. Call your agent the next day and give them the info. and it's all done. That is exactly what I planned on doing. I know I'm covered by the tow vehicle for liability, etc.

Then you should be covered to drive off the lot. A call to your insurance agent would be simple and remove any confusion.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
call your agent immediately.

Best advice, states, policies and carriers are different, find out first from your agent or company before is the smartest thing to do and eliminate a huge surprise. 30 years in the insurance biz, it better to be safe than sorry. I could bore every one with some stories, but find out first.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
And yes, it is the same as driving a car off the dealers lot.

I DID have a fifth wheel and the insurance card that went with it. Just like when I buy a car, show "general" proof of insurance and drive away. Call your agent the next day and give them the info. and it's all done. That is exactly what I planned on doing. I know I'm covered by the tow vehicle for liability, etc.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a loan on your RV, then you will have to have insurance. The dealer is correct in not letting you drive off the lot, especially if you have a loan.

And yes, when you purchase a (new to you) trailer, you need to contact your insurance agent and get a policy rider initiated on your current policy before you pull off the lot.

I don't think the dealership was trying to scam you. He was trying to protect you. Otherwise, you could have let the RV sit on his lot another day until you got your own insurance settled.

Sounds like you got it all worked out after all. I don't think he was doing anything to pad his own pocket. And yes, it is the same as driving a car off the dealers lot.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you already own and insure a 5th wheel? If not, there was no policy that could extend automatic coverage for you. The comp and collision coverage will not extend from your truck -- only liability coverages. If you have a loan on that new 5th, I sure wouldn't want to leave without knowing there is comp and collision coverage on it. You need to re-contact your agent to see if there is anything else you need to do for coverage to remain in effect. If you have a binder, that is not the same thing as having a policy that will continue.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I did call my agent and they issued a binder I guess, they seemed satisfied with what they received and I was out the door.

I really think it was a scam, I'm going to push a bit further and see if I can find any real/legal reason.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Call your agent from the dealership and they can email over proof of insurance within the hour. They might still cover liability under your truck insurance but not likely comprehensive on the RV.

Where you are wrong is if you drive off the lot without doing anything, you won't have insurance...who do you think is going to pay for a claim if you never told the insurance company that you have the RV?

If you're driving legally, typically your insurance company would cover you. Insurance covers both your vehicle (regardless of who is driving it with authorization, excepting any specifically excluded drivers if you have any) and also you, whatever vehicle you're legally driving. This generally includes rental cars, etc., at least for liability

That doesn't mean you'd necessarily have collision or comprehensive coverage, doubly or triply so if you don't on your policy to begin with, but you should be covered for liability.

(As always, your agent is a far better guide than DrewE or any other random commenter on the internet, so if they say something else then believe them rather than me!)

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Call your agent from the dealership and they can email over proof of insurance within the hour. They might still cover liability under your truck insurance but not likely comprehensive on the RV.

Where you are wrong is if you drive off the lot without doing anything, you won't have insurance...who do you think is going to pay for a claim if you never told the insurance company that you have the RV?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
BS, someone is fishing for money. Call your agent, they can issue a binder.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's pure BS. I bought our new TT last year and the coverage transferred automatically just as it has for decades. He's trying to score a buck.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
call your agent immediately.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle