cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon and Utah 2019

MoRookie
Explorer
Explorer
Just starting to make plans for next summer. We are a family of 4- 2 kids ages 13 and 16 traveling from Missouri to Grand Canyon. We have a two full weeks just want to throw out what I have so far see if anyone thinks I need to make a few changes. Leave Friday night at Midnight stop at Petrified Forest for the first night. Then on to trailer village Grand Canyon for three nights. Leave on July 3rd head to Lake Powell for two nights to catch the fireworks on the 4th staying in Wahweap campground. Then on to Zion for 3 nights hopefully staying in Watchman campground.. Then on to Bryce staying at Rubys Inn RV Park for 2 nights. Then on to Moab for 3 nights staying maybe at Moab Valley Rv looking for recommendations for Moab. Wanting to visit Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse. Anyone with any changes or recommendations and things to do would be great.
42 REPLIES 42

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
rangerjean wrote:
Thank you. As far as I have planned...and that could change with new advice...we will leave from Phoenix and drive to Grand Canyon for a couple days. Next stop will be Zion for the next two days and then Bryce just as a stop on the way to Canyonlands..probably 2-3 days there then ready to head back to Phoenix. This is our first longer trip in our tt. We are planning to leave the first of May and would also appreciate any help on good which roads, hikes, and camping places. I will make a reservation at Watchman but wonder if I need prior reservations at parks or campgrounds. Thank you so much

If you're staying at Trailer Village at the Grand Canyon you'll definitely need reservations there.

At the Grand Canyon, take at least a partial hike down the Bright Angel Trail. We went down to the 3 mile rest stop, which is a 2000' descent. It was 2 hours down and 4 hours back, but we took our time. Amazing memories. Hiking the rim trail was really nice. While not challenging, it was a lot nicer than taking a bus to the various stops. After hiking on the Bright Angel Trail we had a really nice late lunch/early dinner at the Bright Angel Restaurant in the Lodge. While not as fancy as the Arizona Room, we liked the informal atmosphere better and had a nice seat at the window where you could see the canyon.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. As far as I have planned...and that could change with new advice...we will leave from Phoenix and drive to Grand Canyon for a couple days. Next stop will be Zion for the next two days and then Bryce just as a stop on the way to Canyonlands..probably 2-3 days there then ready to head back to Phoenix. This is our first longer trip in our tt. We are planning to leave the first of May and would also appreciate any help on good which roads, hikes, and camping places. I will make a reservation at Watchman but wonder if I need prior reservations at parks or campgrounds. Thank you so much

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have know two guys that were packers in the Canyon for the NPS. One of them was helicoptered out 3 times in bad wrecks. It is not recommended that people bring their horses from home to travel there. Horses and mules have to get used to the trail gradually just like people.

There are many famous stories about the rings, the tunnel at the bottom and then stepping out into the sunshine to be faced with a swinging suspension bridge. Mules do much better than horses.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rangerjean wrote:
After tips, comments and a little discussion with DH it looks like for the time we have my original plan from Phoenix through Utah 5 and home is too much trip. Now We are planning a couple days at GC the a couple at Zion. I think we can just do a short visit to Bryce on the way to Capitol Reef (suggestions for where to stay here??).

DH would like to head back from there and return on a different route including Mesa Verde and Durango. I would love recommendations for the return route and best campgrounds. We do not require fancy places with full hookups.

How are you coming out - maybe just the names of the towns from home out - then if possible I'll add an interesting route home.

Would not want to back tack on the route you came out on, at least not in Colorado.

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
After tips, comments and a little discussion with DH it looks like for the time we have my original plan from Phoenix through Utah 5 and home is too much trip. Now We are planning a couple days at GC the a couple at Zion. I think we can just do a short visit to Bryce on the way to Capitol Reef (suggestions for where to stay here??).

DH would like to head back from there and return on a different route including Mesa Verde and Durango. I would love recommendations for the return route and best campgrounds. We do not require fancy places with full hookups.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Pacing: Those that claim it is ambitious are correct, however, we do what we have to do. If that's the time you have and you understand that you will be pushing hard, it will not be a problem.

Temperature: Plan your days well and be willing to get up at sunrise. We were always one of the first people on the trail, and hiked Zion, Arches, GC and others without the heat being a problem. Mid-day, plan to seek refuge and then get out for a few more hours late in the day. If managed closely, you can work with the heat.

Personally, Zion is our favorite NP and I would rob a day from Grand Canyon to add one to Zion. Make sure to get into Watchman when you can!

A trip similar to this changed our family forever. The National Parks are an amazing gift. I hope your family has an experience beyond a vacation!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ridng a mule into the Grand Canyon can be a transformative experience for many people. All conversation stops in the first 1/4 mile when people realize they are in the land of the vertical and their lives are being trusted to a mule they just met. There is a reason mules are used instead of horses.

It takes at least 3 1/2 to 4 hours going downhill to reach the river at Phantom Ranch. The normal trip on Bright Angel Trail, will have people spending the night there and returning the next day which takes longer than the trip in. There is a strict weight limit for the trip which used to be 190 pounds with all your clothing. The faint of heart should not apply.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
MoRookie wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has done the 3 hour mule ride down the
Grand Canyon. Wondering if it is worth the money. Would love to do the overnight trip just can't afford it..

Are you visiting the South Rim or North Rim?

The South Rim only offers a 3-hr. trip along the top Rim.

https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/plan/mule-rides/

The North Rim offers (2) 3-hr trips; one is along the top Rim and the other goes down into the canyon to Supai Tunnel.

https://www.grandcanyonforever.com/mule-rides

We haven't done any of them but friends have down to the bottom and they said it was very difficult because you're at an angle and also the mules walk along the edge of the trail and you're not allowed to try to move them over. We've hiked down the Bright Angel Trail which was also very difficult.

I'd highly recommend that you definitely walk down at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so. You get an altogether different perspective from below the Rim.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MoRookie
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone has done the 3 hour mule ride down the
Grand Canyon. Wondering if it is worth the money. Would love to do the overnight trip just can't afford it..

MoRookie
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got evething booked except Zion because you can only book it six months out trying for Watchman campground. We have Holbrook Koa then Trailer Village Grand Canyon them onto Lake Powell Waheap campground next will be Zion when available then I have Rubyโ€™s booked for Bryce then onto Moab Canyonlands campground.

MoRookie
Explorer
Explorer
We were planning on staying in Holbrook at the KOA to see the Petrified forest.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. They are all going into my list book for our trip next year.

We visited the GC years ago in late Nov and it was amazing! No crowds and because we arrived so late the day before, our first view of the canyon was at sunrise. A sight I will never forget!
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you 2gypsies for that information I will make every effort to miss that crowd.

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Canyon is a one day or two day event. unless you are brave and hike down...as you walk the rim you will see the same view over and over again.

just my thoughts.
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab