cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repairing Hydroflame furnace FA-7615

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
Hooked up a Hydroflame FA 7615 furnace to electric and gas and the blower works ok however it won't ignite. Tried several times as sometimes furnaces take a few tries before they will ignite the burner. However I'm not hearing and clicking from the igniter.

I need to pull it out in order inspect the entire furnace however whoever built the camper decided the furnace needs to stay mounted where it's at as they didn't leave any room to pull it out. The only way to remove it would be to cut it out either from the side or front.

Perhaps older B-Vans were made like this, without accessible furnaces? It's installed in a 88 Okanagan.

I did find a repair manual. Appears it needs a cleaning and various parts inspected and tested.

Has quite a few parts to look at. Perhaps the problem is only with the sail or limit switch or perhaps the burner requires cleaning. However I would like to become more familiar with how it operates by first removing it from it's installed location.

What I'll probably need to to is rebuild the cabinet it's installed in so can be easily pulled out and accessible. The only area it's currently accessible is from the opening for the front vent, which the furnace is too large to fit through.

I have worked a little with RV furnaces in the past i.e. to clean burners and replace blower motors and have a larger furnace in another RV I'm going to be working on but first need to pull this one to get a better view of it as it's takes up approx. 2 - 2.5 feet in a narrow space underneath the sink and control center with little and no access. There is some access in the front for the control board, igniter and gas valve.

I did find a parts schematic with parts list and also a service manual.

Parts list with schematic
7 REPLIES 7

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
I've been busy working on other vehicles and haven't gotten around to testing furnace, without it being installed in the B van.

I'll need to look it over to determine what's needed to operate the furnace when not installed in the camper van.

If weather permits I'll try tomorrow. I think I have the correct fittings and hose to connect to a a lpg tank with regulator.

I need to look it over again to remember how the furnace connects electrically to operate.

I can't remember if it needs spark from DC to start?

I seem to remember some sort of circuit that connects to the thermostat.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
79bethany: your problem could be the high temperature limit switch.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

79bethany
Explorer
Explorer
Have you got it fixed yet? I too have same furnace in an old pop up. It works but burner shuts off after about 5 minutes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Try these people for your parts.
Laurelhurst Distributors

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
Took the FA-7615 a part and cleaned up all the dirt and dust using a pressure washer. There's still some rust and corrosion in a few areas that perhaps needs to be wire brushed. However then entire furnace appears to be in good shape and the burner appears to have had very little use.

All the wiring and component pretty much stayed connected so I won't need to figure out what wires go where and to what components.

However there are a couple of things I need to address before reassembly

1. combustion hose ~1.25" x ~12" that goes between the burner and electric fan.

2. gasket material for the igniter and burner. Appears to be made from sort of fireproof fiber insulation with foil backing.

I would like to replace both as there is some damage to the combustion hose where it made connections and the wire inside the hose is rusted. I would also like to replace the gasket material around the igniter and burner.

I've been looking around but haven't been able find hose or gasket material. I'm certain it's out there but perhaps not all that easily found.

Andonso
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks,

After enlarging an access opening I was able to get my hand and arm in around the other side of the furnace and remove a square bit screw, they only used two hold down screws the other one needed to be chiseled out.

Finally was able to pull the furnace after sawing out a piece of wood from the bottom of the front opening.

Sort of crusty from sitting unused for many years. Haven't yet decided the best method to clean it up before trying to diagnose the problem with no heat output.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is a manual from one of RV.net contributors. He has other manuals on his website" BryantRV.comFA manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow