cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Never thought we'd ever consider a 5er... but!!!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Click here.

Keystone Alpine, 3700 FL

In the process of discovery right now.

Wife and I went to our local dealership (Modern Trailer, in Anderson, Indiana), which is only about 6 miles from our house to get a propane tank fill up about a month ago. While there we decided to do some window shopping! WRONG MOVE!

We looked inside the Alpine 3801 FK (Front Kitchen) Click here. and fell instantly in love. We then steped into the 3700FL and about keeled over. Both of these 5ers are fabulous. But we REALLY like that front living room.

I know, these babies are over 40 feet long. Their initial list price is $89,000. Talked to the dealer a little at that first initial visit and he said they could do much better on price. We took the information and been watching, dreaming, talking, and internet searching for the 3700FL.

Well, I went back yesterday for some Dicor Sealant for some touch up work on my Outback and of course, had to stop in and see the FL model. It was gone! Sold.

I talked to the dealer and found out they let it go for $69,000, whoever bought it, financed it it for $42,000 and did a trade in. So, there's hope here.

Dealer also said it would be about 3 weeks before they get another one on their lot, and if we wait till August, they are running a Keystone Days special, where Keystone will throw in a 5er hitch for no extra charge. (Of course, I'll need to do homework on this first).

So, I have an oil change planned for tomorrow on my 3500 duly diesel tomorrow. While there, I'm taking the stats from this FL model and going to talk to my mechanic about my truck and what I can expect.

Meanwhile, we fell in love! We're looking at selling out everything within the next 3 year, I'm retiring, and we're going full timing. So, we're in the planning stages now.

I never thought I'd ever even consider a 5er, and one like is, well.... it's now consumed me and it's all I can think about. My wife is ready to trade right now! I'm being a bit more cautious. I want my ducks in order first. (finances, tow vehicle, and future plans).

I feel pretty certain, the combined length of my current truck and trailer (59.5 feet) won't be any longer than the combined length of the 40 footer 5er with truck, considering the hitch is forward in the bed of the truck. So, I'm pretty certain, overall length will be close. Still, doing the math and exploration stages now. Anyway, will need to wait till August anyway. August would be a great time frame for a purchase.

Thoughts anyone?

I know, with slides in, the floor plan looks like the kitchen access is restricted. I'd like to see the actual camper with all the slides in before making any permanent decisions. That's the only draw back I see so far.
40 REPLIES 40

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
We like access to the fridge , bathroom and bedroom with slides in. Second I don't like front living room and not for appearances that is great. Most time is spent in living room and bed. Front living room puts your head even while sitting 3 feet closer to the ceiling and the noise of the AC while trying to talk or listen to TV than a rear living room.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the original post was on 6/21/2018 and I've posted many times since then on these forums. I was going back re-reading some of my old posts and came across this one.

If you haven't followed along, we did get a new Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel in early October. And yes, we ended up getting it from Walnut Ridge RV near New Castle Indiana.

Anyone interested, here's a link to the floor plan: click here.

Yes, it does have a back door on the opposite side, making access to the bathroom and kitchen very easy. But the kitchen slide does separate them when it's retracted. We've had a few trips with it already, including a week long trip to Louisiana. Got most of the bugs worked out and hitching and towing is comfortable now.

We just had one of those large swinging door handles installed on the back door, and we've got on order an awning and LED light strip for the back door too. That back door on the opposite side get a lot of attention.

And yes, the wife is very, very happy with is model. So my life is good now too.

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
If the wife is looking you'll be in a new 5ver by Fall!!! We purchased both out TT and 5ver from Walnutridgerv.com in New Castle Indiana. The people there are great and we make the drive there from Indy for all our Fifth Wheel needs.. Love pulling the 5ver over the TT.

Good Luck!!!!!
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's NOT over yet. Wife just sent me an email at work and said, "I LIKE this one". Oh no! You know the drill .... happy wife, happy life! ๐Ÿ˜„

https://lakeshore-rv.com/montana-high-country-rv/montana-high-country-380th/l-26955/

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Well, welcome to the Dark Side. Is about what I was going to post.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Update for anyone interested:

Not going forward with the Alpine. Going to stick with my current travel trailer a bit longer.

Good plan! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
U may want to to check out prices at Holman Motors in Cincinnati, they wholesale trailers. I learned this a few years ago when we first decided moving from campers/vacationer's to fulltiming. Holman will sell about 1/3 off. Also near that area is Jeff Couch's RV Nation which sell wholesale but stock different 5'vers than Holmans and of course bothe are online.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the update. I can relate to alot of what you stated. I hit the big 62 today. I can retire now from Ford with a full pension due to my age and years of service(24). So if they tick me off, I can tell them to kiss off!!!! Great feeling. But I figure I will be there another 4 years for alot of the same reasons you state. I think you made the right move. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you on your decision. Thanks for the update.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:

Not going forward with the Alpine. Going to stick with my current travel trailer a bit longer.

Snip...

Well, there goes my astute observation that I posted way back on page one! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see you have reached a good decision that works BEST for you, main thing is that you still enjoy what you have and use it. Good luck in the future
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
I was where you are about 5 years ago. It was the best decision we ever made to wait until the time was right for us. I applaud you for your wisdom and being able to resist temptation until it is the right move for you. I hope to see you someday around a campfire in the Hoosier state.

Good Luck and keep camping!
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
All's well that ends well.
We are in about the same situation. The Montana HC looks like **** from sitting outside. It's a debate I have with myself about getting a used high end 5th with full body paint, or waiting 2-3 years for my son to build on his acreage, and I build a RV shed on his place. Then I could get whatever and keep it covered.
Just kicking the can down the road for right now.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

The Alpine DID get me thinking, and it did make me appreciate 5er's now. It did make me think through the advantages of a 5er over a TT and what is really different. I'm not so hard-nosed against 5er now. Actually, they are pretty cool.

About loosing the shell on my truck. I was prepaired for that anyway. My shell is being to age pretty good. Aluminum welds are beginning to fail and I'm using pop rivets to hold things together with it now. It's aging and been well, well used. Been considering a new one for a couple years now, but keep nursing the old one along. So, loosing the shell for a 5er is not traumatic.

We did look at several front living room 5er models, from Mobile Suites to Alpine to Montana to Cougar's. We ran into the same problem with ALL of them that truly is a deal breaker for us.... with slides IN, things are blocked. And with slides in, you can't access the front to the back. Something is always blocking passage. Not good. This became very, very discouraging and the true reality check. We use our current camper too much with slides in. We would absolutely miss this feature. This rulled on this specific model types,and they all fell into this same category.

Second reality check was the price. Our current camper has a loan, very affordable, and doesn't crimp our current life style at all. But adding another $300-$600 a month in loan payments is something we simply cannot do at the moment. In 3 years, when I'm ready to retire, we'll have the John Deere completely paid for a couple years then. The car and truck will be paid in full. The camper will have a few more years to go on a loan, but will be about 50/50 and should be over the hurdle of being upside down. Being upside down doesn't bother us. But 3 more years would put us in a better advantage.

Then, in 3 years, with everything paid, then sell it all -John Deere, Car, and house, eliminating house mortgage, utility bills, property tax, and house insurance-, selling the house, and using the equity and the trade in for Outback TT, we'll be able to buy straight out a new camper and be completely debt free.

However, if we add another 10 year RV loan now, three years from now will not be possible. We've done the math.

So, our strategy is the do all we can to upkeep and maintain the current travel trailer. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a great trailer and we love it. We love the floor plan, we live how functional it is, we love the windows everywhere, rear living room with opposing slides and it tows manganficent.

Either way, we need to maintain the pick-up truck. Its a diesel with 47,000 miles and most of that was towing the trailer. Being a duly, I now need 6 new tires and due for an oil change. So, we are biting the bullet and getting the new tires now and oil change at the tune of $2500 -six tires - Michilans. Keeping the truck in tip-top-shape is our #1 priority now as it will be our primary vehicle some day.

So, we have no regrets at our decision. It WAS fun pipe dreaming for a while. It was a lot of fun thinking about all the possibilities with a new 5er. But really, in 3 years, when its really time... then it will all fall in place.

Meanwhile, we still sleep in our Outback every night! Going out again to a private campground next week-end. So, it's getting well used!