cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

40 to Grand Lake Co.

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
How is the highway 40 from I-70 to Grand Lake. Mountain passes and curves?
9 REPLIES 9

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just came from Grand Lake , towing with a duramax the climb going & coming no problem, jus take your time the road over the pass is in great shape, we stayed at the winding river Resort, it is not a resort , but a nice campground. While you are there be sure to eat at Fat Cat Cafe Awesome Breakfast Buffet.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
You undoubtedly have camping reservations in Grand Lake. But, if not, take a look at the US 40 section of my blog HERE for camping and sightseeing suggestions for that area. Incidentally, our favorite CG with electric hookups near Grand Lake is the USFS Stillwater Campground on US 34.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for help. Have been over Monarch pass with no problems. Just checking on 40 highway.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
SDM wrote:

Mountain Pass? Check
Curves? Check

It is not overly difficult however. It's 3 lanes all the way -- 2 lanes climbing on both sides. Four switchbacks on your way up, a parking area at the top of the pass where one can park and hike even higher and have some fantastic photo ops.

Of note on the downhill side north of the pass, there's a couple of switchbacks and then a fairly long downhill that's not so curvy. Don't be fooled by that! Toward the bottom there's a couple more switchbacks and they sort of sneak up on you if you're not paying attention. Past those last couple of switchbacks and then it really is rather smooth sailing in to Winter Park.

And a Duramax should be fine at 11,3. I was up over 12K with mine a few weeks back and it hardly noticed the elevation change. Sure as heck was a lot better than doing the same thing with a gasser Tahoe!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:

Beautiful drive and Great Road.

Has Curves and Berthoud Pass is a real one.

Options are to do Trail Ridge through RMNP - on RT 34 - Narrow Curvy and again Beautiful Drive if you go early you will miss most of the traffic, and if you go late Good Luck:)

One more option is the I-70 to Silverthorne, using Eisenhower tunnel, then taking RT 9 North to Kremmling then on up to Grand Lake.

Again Beautiful - easy - as you did the Mountains on I-70 - is the route recommended to those who prefer the easy route to drive and need/want to avoid the Passes.

So there you go, three options, all, because they are in Colorado, are just Beautiful Drives, so take your Pick or drive all three, which would be my Recommendation, then let us know what you thought about each.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It is a nice drive. We go that way frequently towing a 5er and boat tandem.

If you are going east on a Sunday afternoon, be prepared for a lot of traffic.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Wait, isn't a DuraMAX a turbocharged diesel? If so, it will suffer no power loss going over 10,000 feet.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a US highway so semi's use it BUT Berthound pass is 11,300' so your DuraMAX is going to be maxed out...doable but slow going as you will probably start losing power once you get above 10,000'. Lots of switchbacks but most of it is 3 lanes...2 on the uphill. Well worth doing as we LOVE Grand Lake over TT (tourist trap) Estes Park.
Manually select a gear that keeps your rpms up and will keep it from up-shifting when you go into a curve. Same thing going down and there are pullouts if you have traffic behind you.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes from 5th wheel forum.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine