Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best hose to carry for general purpose & flushing tanks

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

My cheap vinyl hose that I used to rinse things off and flush my black tank blew a hole and fittings to fix it probably would cost as much as I paid for it. I need a replacement and would like something light weight and kink free that doesn't take up to much space.

I looked at the pocket hose and most of the comments on here that were negative regarded the plastic fittings on the hose as the problem. The new hoses have brass fittings now so I was wondering if anyone has used them with the brass fittings and how they worked out for you.

If there is another type of hose that works well I'd like to hear about those as well.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
20 REPLIES 20

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
enblethen wrote:
It will not work as a drain hose. It takes pressure to operate.
It is round and does expand under pressure.

I do not have the need to use one for a drain hose as we generally use full hookups or the ability to stop at a dump station. So it sounds like the zero G with brass fittings is the way to go.

Dave

I think you will like the zero G . My 25โ€™ model has alloy ends and I fit it in a plastic container thatโ€™s the size of a small shoe box. Very light and easy to handle. Time will tell If itโ€™s durable.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

I do not have the need to use one for a drain hose as we generally use full hookups or the ability to stop at a dump station. So it sounds like the zero G with brass fittings is the way to go.

Dave

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dpgllg wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
For a QUALITY water hose go to rvwaterfilterstore.com. They sell with nice brass or SS ends and are easily coiled in COLD weather! Also in many lengths.

When it comes time to replace my fresh water hoses I will definitely consider them but they are just to expensive for a general purpose use hose. A 25 foot hose in gray would cost $58.95 plus shipping.

Yes expensive but you will never buy another!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
hyattjlbb wrote:
My issue with the pocket hose wasnโ€™t so much the plastic fitting but more of a pressure issue. About 50% of the campsites I have been to didnโ€™t have enough pressure to keep the hose โ€œexpandedโ€ when using it. It would expand when closed but as soon as I turned it on, the hose tries to compress/coil again.

I wonder if the Zero G hose mentioned here has the same issue. I don't think it is a true pocket hose but more of a flat hose.

Any Zero G hose users care to comment?

Dave

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
For a QUALITY water hose go to rvwaterfilterstore.com. They sell with nice brass or SS ends and are easily coiled in COLD weather! Also in many lengths.

When it comes time to replace my fresh water hoses I will definitely consider them but they are just to expensive for a general purpose use hose. A 25 foot hose in gray would cost $58.95 plus shipping.

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
My issue with the pocket hose wasnโ€™t so much the plastic fitting but more of a pressure issue. About 50% of the campsites I have been to didnโ€™t have enough pressure to keep the hose โ€œexpandedโ€ when using it. It would expand when closed but as soon as I turned it on, the hose tries to compress/coil again.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two hoses. A gray one for flushing the tank and a white one for potable water. Reduces chances of contamination. If not using a pressure regulator or use one at the city water inlet or inside, use a high pressure rated hose (like a Valterra, eg.). We have a "no-kink" white hose that has a big ol' kink in it that won't go away, pffft...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is a simple way to use flush tanks, no extra hose to mess with!

Yes I do agree it is a simple way to flush tanks.
but even with a vacuum breaker it is possible for bacteria from the black tank to find a way into your fresh water system.

To be safe ALWAYS disconnect from the Black tank ALWAYS after flushing

One simple way to do that is with a set of Quick Connects. You may use the same hose (not recommended) but you simply move the hose from one to the other to flush.

Dump the Y

I use a Y, and a short hose with a quick connect DISCONNECTED when not in use.

I understand all of this but when there is pressure on the "Y" before and after flushing. There is a "Snowballs chance in he!!" that would happen.

I flush my tanks for 10 minutes at a time and the black get's it twice.

With your system the water that's left behind the VB is draining back and out your "Y" connection. mine can't drain back because I shut off the valves when flushing is complete. There "COULE" be bacteria in that water.

I like my system better!

The VB's and now PVC fittings are around 3-4' above the tanks.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Friend of mine suggested one of these new Stainless Steel Jacketed hoses. You can step on 'em. Run over 'em and more.. I wound up buying one. Have not used it yet.

Would not recommend for use washing the roof as I dont want to "Drag" the hose across the body of the motor home. but I have a cheap hose for that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is a simple way to use flush tanks, no extra hose to mess with!

Yes I do agree it is a simple way to flush tanks.
but even with a vacuum breaker it is possible for bacteria from the black tank to find a way into your fresh water system.

To be safe ALWAYS disconnect from the Black tank ALWAYS after flushing

One simple way to do that is with a set of Quick Connects. You may use the same hose (not recommended) but you simply move the hose from one to the other to flush.

Dump the Y

I use a Y, and a short hose with a quick connect DISCONNECTED when not in use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Lowes Zero-G

Seems great for flushing tanks, etc, but NG for gravity draining my grey water tank as there would be insufficient pressure to make it expand. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Zero G does not expand like the cheap ASOTV hoses do. These are great hoses, we now have 2 for the RV and one for the house.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Lowes Zero-G

Seems great for flushing tanks, etc, but NG for gravity draining my grey water tank as there would be insufficient pressure to make it expand. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380