cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help me pick a carport

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
ok so ive narrowed it down to 2 carports that fit the bill. Please keep in mind I will be running a/c year round since its insanely hot where I live. Don't worry about county concerns as its going in my back yard where there are no restrictions or buying bigger for future use.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_744057_744057
Pros: it looks good for a good price
Cons: does not cover entire RV. About $900 more

https://www.amazon.com/Carport-Storage-Shelter-Fabric-Galvanized/dp/B01N9XYJ0G/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1529588261&sr=8-13&keywords=rv+carport+storage+shelter+tent

Pros: covers entire RV from sun, provides security as people won't know when rv is in there or Im using it out of town. About $900 cheaper

Cons: Cloth, ugly, May run into issues running the a/c(can someone please advise?)

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
Bump.....does anyone think I'll have an issue running the a/c inside this cover.
Thanks

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the input. I went ahead and chose the fully enclosed cloth one. I got a great deal and honestly don't care if I have to replace every 4-5 years. Lastly do any of you think I will have issues running the a/c in there.
Thanks

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Go with something all metal. Anything vinyl won't last long at all.

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the comments, but I'm more curious which ones you would pick from the two I gave. As I mentioned before to get a nice one installed that is set to our wind rating is about $15,000. You would need engineering for the base and the carport. This means your pouring concrete with rebar. So you can not use an existing driveway or just plop it on the grass. So thats why Im leaning toward a non permanent solution, which bypasses these requirements. I understand they may only last a few years, but at that point I may be in a different RV or move houses etc. Not that Im planning on it, but things happen. Both of these I can have shipped an assembled for under $3000. I can replace quite a few times for the cost of a permanent one without the headache too.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Carolina carport installed about 5 years ago and have been extremely pleased with it.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try these guys, they go to Florida https://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check out
www.newmartbuildersinc.com
They are a regional builder with installers scattered over much of the eastern US. They will custom design and then assemble what you want.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
awesomeman wrote:
rrupert wrote:
Carports

They won't ship to my area......Since everything here has to be 175 mph wind rating...you have two options. Spend the $15,000 building a good permanent one(you run into a lot of issues with lot coverage and zoning) Or you put up a cheap NON PERMANENT(important with zoning and codes) one knowing that you may need to replace every 4 or 5 years.

That makes things a bit more difficult.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
Carports

They won't ship to my area......Since everything here has to be 175 mph wind rating...you have two options. Spend the $15,000 building a good permanent one(you run into a lot of issues with lot coverage and zoning) Or you put up a cheap NON PERMANENT(important with zoning and codes) one knowing that you may need to replace every 4 or 5 years.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Carports
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I'd stay with the all metal unit. How long can the cloth one be expected to survive in the Florida sun? My cloth covers only last 3 years at the most.

Keep in mind those are vinyl panels on the "metal" one.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stay with the all metal unit. How long can the cloth one be expected to survive in the Florida sun? My cloth covers only last 3 years at the most.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE