cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking from electric trailer brakes while parked; Normal?

sportbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I asked a few RV shop techs about this they all never heard of it. I'm a new RV & truck owner and have a 2006 Forest River travel trailer with electromagnetic brakes, 2018 Ram 1500 with integrated brake controller and when I plug in the 7pin connector I hear a faint rhythmic tic/toc clicking from the brakes, while parked. About twice per second and it never stops unless I unplug or apply the manual override on the dash. I saw an article about an aftermarket brake controller on etrailer where the expert said it is normal for that controller to send a signal to the brakes constantly, resulting in that sound. Wondering if it is normal for the oem brake controller? Seems odd that no RV experts have heard of it. Brakes and electric are working normally otherwise. Also, I have disassembled and inspected during bearing repack and found nothing noticeably wrong or worn.

Thanks!
Bob
5 REPLIES 5

sportbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies! The ramforum.com also had replies that varied from electrical problem to normal pulse from controller checking the trailer is hooked up. I'll go with the latter and also double check my grounds are good.

Thanks again!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
bobndot wrote:
Some controllers do send a signal to see if the trailer is connected and that is normal for those brands.
Unplug it when parked , I always do, mainly because my TT will also drain my truck battery if connected while parked. Its never an issue for a few hours but if I park overnight or longer, I unplug it .

This is what it's doing. I would unplug when parked.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some controllers do send a signal to see if the trailer is connected and that is normal for those brands.
Unplug it when parked , I always do, mainly because my TT will also drain my truck battery if connected while parked. Its never an issue for a few hours but if I park overnight or longer, I unplug it .

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
do they all click, or just one? I had a similar noise from one brake on my trailer, I thought it might be from the long downhill into the campground might have heated up the brakes. When I drove the trailer a foot forward to get on the leveling blocks it quit.
I do remember something about the controller sending a signal searching for brakes

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of that happening

Sounds like some sort of phantom electrical from the controller

If you haven't already put a meter on the contacts to see if there's voltage present at the 7 pin connector when parked.