cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezer -3 Fridge at 51 what's the problem?

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
We are boondocking in the Yukon and now my refrigerator isn't cooling down. 51 was probably the temperature outside last night, so no reason it shouldn't be colder....Could the thermistor be bad? I do have a replacement believe it or not because it wanted to be able to select my own temperature and bought an aftermarket one and never installed it. I don't really have any other ideas, I thought they ran together, pretty much if one worked, so did the other. Thanks for your help.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
21 REPLIES 21

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it's been a couple days now,,,,,,,,,,

How are the temps in fridge?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Actually if you read a few posts up I replaced the thermistor, which I had bought because it's adjustable but never installed. It's dropped several degrees already and hopefully it'll keep going. It got down to 46 from much higher, not sure the exact temp as the wireless thermometer went out, lol. It went back up as we went shopping and cooked dinner but it's back down to 47 and seems to be slowly dropping. I'm using one of those wired meat thermometer to keep track now without opening it. So crazy I just had one laying around, literally the only spare part and that it seems to have been the problem well know in the morning for sure as there's alot of warm food to cool down.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Get on Amazon and order a Dometic Danfoss portable fridge freezer. I have one and I have to say it was a good investment. If it's not in the camper, it's in the backseat of my wife's van so when she goes shopping on a hot day and buys frozen food, it stays frozen on the way home in as much as the nearest grocery store for us is 15 miles away.

Sounds to me like you have a slug of solidified coolant in your coil. That happens.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
buylow12 wrote:
Never mind, I see they're in Anchorage we'll be there in a few days.

Jealous. We've stayed in Whitehorse, visited a couple museums there. Took Alaska Hwy to Tok driving in and Chicken to Dawson City on Top of the World Hwy and across the river on the free ferry driving out.

Mobile Trailer is up on the north edge of ANC near the railroad yard. I haven't been to Karen's but I think its up that way too.

On that Fridge, be sure the Door Gasket is sealing all the way around. A gasket leak will lose cold air faster than those fins can chill more of it. Condensate drain tube lets a lot of cold air out too. Small, but consider where it is - right under the Fins.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
When the fans failed on my Norcold 4 door the freezer was ok but the fridg started warming up!!
Replaced the fans and all back to normal!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
My fridge does the same thing. Everyone says it indicates a blockage in the coils and the only fix is replacement of the cooling unit.

I have heard that taking the unit out and laying it on its sides for a while can sometimes restore it to working. Others claim the blockages are cystalized and welded in place and it does no good.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind, I see they're in Ankokorage we'll be there in a few days.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, these are places in Whitehorse?
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Well the good news is that seemed to fix it, the temperature is dropping. Thank the lord!

The bad news is I had an electronic cigarette battery explode in my pocket about an hour ago and I have 1st degree burns on a nice part of my thigh. The paramedics took care of it though and my wife is an ICU nurse so I should be fine in a few days with her care. It's been quite the trip........
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If Thermistor is Shorted, the Cooling Unit won't run. If Thermistor's OPEN, the Cooling Unit won't stop cooling. Fellow camper had a bad connection to Thermistor which essentially unplugged it. Fridge compartment became a freezer.
So, unplug Thermistor at the Control Board and see if it goes any colder.
When you're in Anchorage, visit Mobile Trailer Supply. They sell parts, but they also do a lot more. They've provided tips and actually sent a mechanic to the parking area to check a problem on the water heater in our truck camper. Pull up their webpage. They also have a email on the Tech Support. They've bailed me and friends out several times.
Another is Karen's RV Service which is listed by Dometic as Dealer/Service. I've only spoken with them, and there really is a Karen, but they've been helpful to my family and others.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Well I did the "Snip the tip replacement" So pray for me. It's aborigine day up here which is a holiday so I can't even call the shops in town till the morning. If this doesn't fix it I'll probably just show up at one of the shops in the morning and see what happens, if they won't look at it. I'll get it done when I'm in Anchorage. Still got the freezer anyways.

https://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I might just do that.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while, no drop noticeable. What else can I do?
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had to replace our thermistor. Since you have one, why don't you try changing it and see if there is any difference.