cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B engines

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm considering a Class B van - been camping in a 4x4 with Truck Camper for over twenty years, but am looking for something small size, but without the 'climbing in the back' all the time.

Two Q's - what I'm seeing is a V6, which seems under-powered for the mountains?

And, would not consider RWD, but might FWD because I can find only one 4x4 (Revel) and it's pretty up $$$

So, how does FWD handle on these "B" vehicles -- looking at any model at this point, but the Winnebago Travato looks similar to what we'd like far as size and floorplan

Thx Bill & Genie
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
9 REPLIES 9

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Mercedes does make a 4wd van but it has a diesel motor and very few are imported.
Advanced RV Sprinter

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Myself, I prefer gas engines -- but was wondering about the power for a large, heavy van and a V-6. I'm generally a GM guy, and had a Safari with the V-6 3.6 AWD, and it was bulletproof for 190,000 miles, then gave it to my teen son who drove it for a few years. But was curious about up-hill power because we drive the Rockies a lot. Altho we did two a dirt bike trailer with it for a lot of miles too, with no issues.

I don't see any AWD options except the REVEL 4x4 ... although that looks like a great Van, except the price tag.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My older B has the Dodge 360 engine rear wheel drive & has taken me up & down some steep 2 tracks that I look back on now and wonder why I did that. I get 14-15 mpg. I also tow my boat with it. Each have their own preferences; mine - I do not want a diesel. Isn't diesel 75 cents a gallon more than gas?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Not that it matters too much - but what kind of mileage does it get??

Do you have gas or diesel? Or is that even an option?
A pretty solid 18 mpg @ 65-70 mph on our MB diesel Sprinter.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Yeah I saw it ... we're just doing homework at the moment, but nice to know these can get a 30% knockdown ...

Just for a laugh - I just shake my head at the list of vehicles today. I priced out a new Sierra, a pickup, no less, for the price of a small house in some areas of USA --

Those prices could very much go up with all the Tariff shenanigans going on

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not that it matters too much - but what kind of mileage does it get??

Do you have gas or diesel? Or is that even an option?
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Travato on the Dodge chassis. Have been all over the mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia w/o a problem. It has plenty of power for our needs.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah I saw it ... we're just doing homework at the moment, but nice to know these can get a 30% knockdown ...

Just for a laugh - I just shake my head at the list of vehicles today. I priced out a new Sierra, a pickup, no less, for the price of a small house in some areas of USA --
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
The Winnebago line on the MB chassis has plenty of power and it has has the tap and shift transmission that gives nice control. I sent you a PM with my (positive) experience on pricing from your local dealer.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36