Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bama Scooter on back of my 5th wheel help deciding

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

My 2017 Grand Design Reflection comes with a factory installed 2 inch receiver. I have health issues that do not allow me to walk long distances. I was considering the Bama Scooter Groundhog 450 and the 5 star hauler ramp at the bottom of the page.

Bama Scooter

The weight of the scooter is 340 pounds and I am not sure how much the ramp weighs although it is aluminum. The weight limit according to the sticker on my 5th wheel is 500 pounds.

My questions:

Has anyone used one of these scooters? Is it a decent scooter? What are the pros and cons?

What about putting this on the back of my 5th wheel? Is this combination safe? Has anyone done something like this and would you do it again? Why or why not?

Can I do anything to make this package more safe and secure?

Are there any viable alternatives? We go to Willowtree a lot and they have a beautiful trail around the lake that we enjoyed walking. You could see all sorts of wildlife. Now I can't make the walk and even going to the pool we have to drive over and park my truck. It would just be nice to use something like this to get around the campgrounds.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
17 REPLIES 17

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
Look into E-Bikes and if u need to haul some, a cargo e-bike is a good bet. or if your on the heavy side like me .... lol Start with a Rad power wagon

I have looked at these and none would work for me as I suffered several small strokes that have left me weakened on my left side and also some balance issues. My days of riding two wheel bikes I'm afraid are over.

I did a better search and have found many electric trikes. I will be going through these as they seem very expensive

Thanks!

Dave

They build trikes also!
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:
Maybe the KD Smartchair?

At $2000 I don't think my budget would handle that. I'm on disability and pension so I really have to watch the money.

Looks like a nice chair though and wouldn't need a cargo carrier as I could just put it in back of my truck.

Dave

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4ord wrote:
I don't need a camera. With the rear living area there is an easy chair up against the back window. I get my wife to ride back there and keep an eye on things.

Hey 4x4ord...does your wife ever complain about it being too hot, too noisey, or too rough back there? I'm wondering if my wife is making these things up, and also using it as an excuse to get in the fridge to eat ice cream???

I wouldn't mind riding back there, if she was willing to double tow.

When this does happen on occasion, it is for a short distance, normally 10-25 miles.

Jerry

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the KD Smartchair?

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
rmalik1 wrote:
Look into E-Bikes and if u need to haul some, a cargo e-bike is a good bet. or if your on the heavy side like me .... lol Start with a Rad power wagon

I have looked at these and none would work for me as I suffered several small strokes that have left me weakened on my left side and also some balance issues. My days of riding two wheel bikes I'm afraid are over.

I did a better search and have found many electric trikes. I will be going through these as they seem very expensive

Thanks!

Dave

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Likely the receiver is not rated for that much weight. But to be sure ask the mfg.

Don I owe you an apology as I re read the label and it is 300 pounds not 500

I'm sorry

Dave

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
Hello,

My 2017 Grand Design Reflection comes with a factory installed 2 inch receiver. I have health issues that do not allow me to walk long distances. I was considering the Bama Scooter Groundhog 450 and the 5 star hauler ramp at the bottom of the page.

Bama Scooter

The weight of the scooter is 340 pounds and I am not sure how much the ramp weighs although it is aluminum. The weight limit according to the sticker on my 5th wheel is 500 pounds.

My questions:

Has anyone used one of these scooters? Is it a decent scooter? What are the pros and cons?

What about putting this on the back of my 5th wheel? Is this combination safe? Has anyone done something like this and would you do it again? Why or why not?

Are there any viable alternatives? We go to Willowtree a lot and they have a beautiful trail around the lake that we enjoyed walking. You could see all sorts of wildlife. Now I can't make the walk and even going to the pool we have to drive over and park my truck. It would just be nice to use something like this to get around the campgrounds.

Thanks!

Dave

Are you sure you read the label correctly? The OEM receivers on the back of the Reflections have always been rated for a max 300 lb. load. To be safe, you'll need to have something fabricated and welded to the frame with more than one attachment point.

Rob

I went back out and re read the label and you are correct it is 300 pounds so this is not going to be an option for me.

Look at plan a B which I'm not sure of yet

Dave

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't need a camera. With the rear living area there is an easy chair up against the back window. I get my wife to ride back there and keep an eye on things.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
I built my own hitch and carrier. It has two 2x4 receivers. The bike, carrier and hitch weigh over 1000 lbs. So far I'm very happy with it.

Wow, better you than me. That looks way too sketchy for me, it looks like it hangs out there quite a ways from the trailer. I didn't see where you mounted a camera to watch the bike.

I'm sure you're happy, but it would scare the heck out of me. One good thing, I'm sure the people following you hang back quite a ways. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgllg wrote:
Hello,

Bama Scooter

My questions:

Thanks!

Dave

Are you sure you read the label correctly? The OEM receivers on the back of the Reflections have always been rated for a max 300 lb. load. To be safe, you'll need to have something fabricated and welded to the frame with more than one attachment point.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Problem with swivel wheels is that some states consider them part of the trailer and some don't, so you're, in effect, towing doubles. May or may not be legal. State x state issue. People from PA will need to chime in on this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's very heavy.
- I would either look at a smaller model of mobility scooter. My mom had one and it only weighed about 100lbs. This was not the light duty one.
- Or consider bumping up to a golf cart for more capability.

Personally, I would prefer a swivel wheel trailer. 500lb hung off the back with just a 2" square tube is a lot of stress and strain. With a swivel wheel trailer, you start with around 50% of the weight off the hitch. The hitch is actually two receivers and there is no torque applied to the hitches so they are under far less strain. (this is not the same as double towing as the trailer is locked in line with the camper and you can turn and back up the same as normal).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Likely the receiver is not rated for that much weight. But to be sure ask the mfg.

As I stated there is a manufacture label right on the back of the RV that's states it is rated at 500 pounds.