cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally pulled the trigger on a 5er

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after 6 years of owning a travel trailer, that we bought used, and battling the issues we have had with that unit, we finally decided today to trade it in and jump into a brand new 2018 Open Range 370RBS fifth wheel. This will be our first 5er, and probably our last. I am hoping it tows easier than the travel trailer. Any tips as I make the change from travel trailer to fifth wheel?
32 REPLIES 32

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that would appear to be the case. We decidded to stick with our TT for now. We really didnโ€™t see many 5ers that offered much more than our TT in terms of amenities or comfort without getting into the much bigger rigs. To own one of those is a bucket list thing now....I fell in love with the 370RBS...if I had the truck, it would be in my drive now. But sadly, I donโ€™t, and I canโ€™t really afford to get back into massive payments on trucks and rvโ€™s right now. Someday....keep wishing....

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a new truck or a different 5ver, either way I know you'll like pulling the 5ver

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Trumpeterb wrote:

All good comments everyone!

The dealer and service tech assured me I can pull it.......

Good comments - with the exception of - two!!..:R

However, a dealer/salesperson/service tech would *NEVER* lie!.:S

~

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pulled my 5th wheel with my 2016 F350 SRW. My 5th wheel has a gvwr very similar to yours. It handled it absolutely beautifully. I think the tow rating was 14000 lbs. As far as I know the only difference between a 1 ton SRW and a 3/4 ton is that the 1 ton srw has an overload spring on the rear axle. If I were you I would hook onto that new trailer with the old truck and enjoy it. You might want to add air bags to your rear suspension.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
When you asked the dealer to put it in writing answered your question for you. If a dealer's lip are moving their lying in most cases and they are going to tell you what they think you want to hear or what is going to make the sale.

The GVWR of the trailer is right at the top of my tow rating and I have a 2017 Ram dually Mega cab diesel with a payload package of over 5400# but I have the 3.42 rear axle and I'm only towing a 32'5" 5er with a GVWR at 12,000#. I don't want to go any bigger than what I have. Past rigs have been 40' and don't want them anymore. Sure I have more truck than I need for my trailer but I like duallies, better over trucked than under.

Don't give up hope as there are smaller 5ers that you can tow. Years ago when our son was young we had a 22' 5er that was a great little rig and we had lots of fun in it. That has been about 40 years ago now.

Just start looking a little smaller and use the good advice that you get here before believing the salesman. Remember the members here have no vested interest in what you buy just trying to keep you and others safe, the salesman has a vested interest as this is his paycheck.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
GVWR of the RV is 16140

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the gvwr of the new 5ver?
B&W Companion

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
Trumpeterb wrote:
I talked to the dealer this morning and expressed my concern. He assured me that I could tow it. So I asked him if his dealership would be willing to sign a document accepting responsibility for any accidents or damage caused by towing an overweight RV. He wouldnโ€™t of course, and then admitted that we were โ€œapproaching the limit,โ€ and suggested looking at a big travel trailer instead.

You will be amazed at the towing difference between you TT and new FW. If you have the right TV setup, the FW you will not even know the FW is behind you. Before giving up on the FW you fell in love with, have you considered looking for a used diesel DRW? I found mine with low miles and less that half the price of a new one. The TV only needs to be new to you. Resale on diesel trucks is pretty strong in most areas. You may not be looking at very expensive upgrade using current truck as trade or selling it privately to make up a down payment. If this is not an option, I would take the other's advice and look for a FW under a weight of 14K. A longer TT would not improve your driving experience IMO. You will have the same white knuckle experiences as you do with current TT.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think you would like the FW towing experience, but unless you see a DRW in your future, I'd be looking at FWs with a GVWR 14K or under.

Jerry

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I stuck with my travel trailer then. 11000ish fully loaded.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, you are confused, by using your GVWR. Towing a FW, the most important numbers are RAWR/tire max rating. Your truck's shipping wt is likely less than 8,000, more like 7,300, looking at the CGVWR of 20K. So if you subtract the truck wt of 7,300 from the 20K, you will have 12,700 towing capacity. That CGVWR is to protect your drive line for warranty purposes.

In any case, even with suspension enhancement, your going to be limited to SRW status, and should not be towing more than 14K. Even that will strain your drive train without moving to lower gearing.

Jerry

Trumpeterb
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the numbers I foundโ€”my truck GVWR is 9600 lbs. The CGVWR, according to he 2012 towing guide, is 20,000 lbs. Even though the towing capacity is 12,700 lbs, I really only have 10,400 Iโ€™m towing capacity remaining according to the GVWR and CGVWR, right? Or am I figuring this all wrong? I donโ€™t know enough about how these numbers work....and I donโ€™t understand how you can get a 12,700 towing capacity rating when the CGVWR minus the GVWR is 10,400...ugh....I am so confused...

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be over your payload but may be able to stay under your axle ratings. A 2500 is capped at 10K payload rating to stay in a certain class of truck. Towing over payload but under axle ratings is probably the #1 most argued about topic in towing forums.

FWIW most 2500s are the exact same truck as the 3500 except for some rear suspension that can easily be made up for. All this being said, that is one big 5th wheel and all loaded up is likely pushing the limits of any SRW truck.

Really dig into the numbers and do some research to figure out what you are comfortable with. You've learned the first and best lesson - don't listen to the salesman.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The goofy thing is that you would be safer and more comfortable towing a 5ver that over loads your 3/4 ton than you would be towing a tag trailer that falls within your truck's ratings.
B&W Companion