cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiber glass repair

5thhand
Explorer
Explorer
I put a dent(small hole) underneath near hitch receiver. Just received my first quote for repair ($2400.00). $ 369.00 of this was for the paint. The area to be covered is a square foot. Am I just naive to think this is to high for rural Iowa?
5thhand
12 REPLIES 12

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fiberglass work is very labour intensive but not difficult to do once you get the hang of it. Nice thing is that you can grind/sand down mistakes & do it again. To get the perfect finish the repair work must be perfect & faired out otherwise the paint will amplify the imperfections.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I put a small broom stick size hole in my Lance truck camper while lowering to ground, a little fiberglass kit from Lowes for less than $10 and a spray can of white paint. I could tell where it was repaired but the location wasn't noticeable.

If your location is highly noticeable area you could repair and sand the area then have a paint shop do the paint.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
I received a quote from a body shop of $7,000 to repair a 3' square dent/hole in the side of my fiver. It appears that that body work everywhere has vastly escalated in price. The area was at the point where the aluminum skirt meets the upper fiberglass. So, I repaired the hole in the fiberglass with Bondo brand body filler (thick type epoxy resin/hardener for vertical application). Cut up fiberglass cloth making small pieces; and mixed in to increase strength. Both came from Walmart. Apply in thin layers, allowing to dry in between. Sand and paint. Agree with applying sticker over top if you can't match the color.

Purchased the aluminum skirting, door, and stripping from the fiver manufacturer, and replaced damaged parts. Cost of total repair was less than $500, which also included body work sander, and paint. Found a auto paint store that matched the fiver color with a scanner (took small door there to be scanned). White color match was not perfect but close enough. Passed my wife's inspection. ๐Ÿ™‚

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want to tackle it yourself, find a boat repair shop for a different quote. Saylorville is less than an hour from you, so should be easy to find a boat repair shop close to home.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
I filled a hole I had on mine with fiberglass and put an American flag sticker over it.

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
You can probably buy the material for about $15.00 put some fiber glass cloth on it after you scuff it UP apply small coat of resin over the top of the cloth.let it dry and sand it Down.dont glob the fiberglass resin on because it is harder to get it smooth add extra thin coats if you have to.prime and paint with a $6.00 spray can.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
camp-n-family wrote:
Fill it and put your favorite sticker over it.

Or a reflector!!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Fill it and put your favorite sticker over it.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Working with fiber glass is not that hard. Read about it. Get someone to help you if you can.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing professionally repaired on the front cap or our previous trailer...the hole was the size of a .50 cent piece..with some spider cracking radiating out about 4 - 5 inches....

Cost me $600 for a perfect repair and repaint...couldn't find it after it was fixed...
Maybe you should move out of "rural Iowa." Sounds like an expensive place to live......:)

Anyway good luck with it...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

5thhand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I can't figure out how to attach picture. The whole is the size of a quarter and about 1/4 " deep. They do havre to grind down above as there is some cracking
5thhand

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds high but a picture would help. Get more than one estimate.