cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

refrigerator fan running all the time

harry_and_thea
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Rockwood ultra lite fifth wheel. Frig is a Dometic DM2652. A standard 6 cu ft frig. My owners manual lists it as coming with an optional fan. Mine obviously has the optional fan. When the outside temp gets to about 70F the fan starts to come on intermittently and when it gets over 75 it is on without stopping. The noise is annoying but I can live with it as long as I know that this is normal. We have owned this trailer for a little over 2 years and the frig has functioned fine. Just wondering if this fan being on constantly with warmer weather is normal. Also wonder what would happen to the performance of the frig if that fan ever quit and if there would then be a danger of overheating and possible fire. Would appreciate input especially from some who work in the rv industry. Thanks in advance.
Harry and Thea
2016 F 250 cc short box
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS
6 REPLIES 6

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
There is a snap disc thermostat attached to the upper condenser that from the factory should close about 100 degrees (f). If your ambient is 70 or better, the fan will run all the time, not an issue. What is, is the fact that the manufacturer uses the cheapest sleeve bearing fan(s) available. Go on Flea Bay and buy one or more Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm computer muffin fans and replace that noisy sucker. I replaced my single sleeve bearing noise maker with 2 FDB 120mm fans and the cost was 30 bucks shipped to my door.

Get a 2 wire fan. The 3 wire fans are designed to modulate from a motherboard driver.

The more airflow on the backside, the better cooling inside the fridge.

I cannot even hear them run inside the camper now. In fact, I have to go outside and see if they are running.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Joe417 said, it's not the ambient temperature, it's the temperature of the coils though they can get warmer in hotter weather or if the sun is hitting the refer all day.

I don't think you have anything wrong. I added four 400CFM fans to the top of my refer and changed out the two on the back of the refer to better fans.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there's anything wrong with the thermostat. They are designed to come on at around 100 degrees. Not ambient temperature, the temperature of the coils.

If the fan is too noisy, you can replace it with something quieter, but you will probably have to pull the frige out. Not much to it.
Joe & Evelyn

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you replace both thermal switch and fan. Those original fans don't last long.
We had a dead cooling unit on our 4 door Norcold when we purchased our Discovery.
installed an Amish cooling unit. Four years later still running strong. Our fridge has two fans on the cooling unit. last year the fans started squealing, one of the fans froze up.
When temps started hitting 80 plus the freezer would stay frozen but the lower fridge started rising into the mid 40's!!
NOT GOOD!
Pulled the fridge, replaced the fans and back to normal!
Make SURE the fans blow up!!!
I actually pulled a questionabal fridge to replace the fan on the backside and it was blowing down! you need good upward convection behind those absorption fridges.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fan is temperature controlled so it should run more the higher the ambient temperature. However running full time in 75 deg. ambient seems way too much. You either have a bad thermostat or some kind of obstruction in the stack. If it is still running even when the fridge is not operating (heating) I would lean heavily on the thermostat.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A thermostat turns it on so if it needs to run, it does.
You should be happy! Mine came on during our very first trip and then never again. I think it's goofed up.