cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equalizing pressure on camper jacks

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
I have Happijac electric jacks on my NL 9'6" QSE.

Question... when I raise the camper off my truck bed, how might I ensure each leg is carrying its fair share of the camper weight?

On several occasions, I've raised the camper only to find one leg *off the ground*. With only 3 legs bearing all the weight, even temporarily, I worry about tweaking the camper body.

To date, I've lowered each leg until it just hits the ground (touch down), and the motor starts to groan from the load. At that point it would seem each leg is carrying roughly-equal weight. The problem happens when I run all 4 motors simultaneously there-after, and the motors don't necessarily run at exactly the same speed over a 12-18" lift. I haven't yet looked at the leg rulers at touch down, and then ensured an equal distance lift per leg.

--SiletzSpey
4 REPLIES 4

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
You aren't going to 'tweak' the camper unless the frame is rotten and then you have other issues. I run mine down until they contact the ground and then switch to the hand crank for a better 'feel' of how much pressure is on each leg / foot.

I never 'camp' with the legs retracted, they always go down. I spent 30 years driving over the road and sleeping in a rocking sleeper on a big truck. I like solid now.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps common, but you sure can't tell it on mine. All my legs stay firmly planted and none are off the ground for sure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What he said^
Mine does the same thing. Lifts a back leg a little every time.
Nothing to worry about IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It's not going to happen. The fronts carry more than the back, and one of the backs will always come off the ground leaving three to carry the load. I actually bend one back leg and the camper was just fine on three legs until I bought and installed a replacement.

When I was unloading off the truck as soon as I saw one off the ground I would stop the four and just run the one until it was solidly down again. It's a process, and after a while it just becomes automatic to re-adjust occasionally.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel