cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just LoL'd a little...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gettin the camper and boat ready to head out in the am, I was detailing the truck out. Wiping down the door jambs and I came across the dreaded yellow sticker:E

All this talk on here and I never actually looked at it. My half ton work truck has more payload I think. The ole Mega cab has a whopping payload rating of 1647 lbs!!

What should I do??? Camper is weighing in around a svelte 4klbs and the boat is prolly close to 7klbs with a tongue weight of ?? More than 2 healthy men could think about lifting. Guessing close to 20k gcvw heading out with full tanks and lots of non empty beers in the fridge and 2 wakeboards and 2 surf boards in the overhead.

It's ok though. I saw the tire loading sticker and it said 45psi light load for the back for the old 265 17s. I'm at a solid 80 psi, so should be fine!
Cheers all.
See a black Dodge with a black boat behind it and a big white whale in the bed around Pend Oreille, just Honk!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ True enough, rear tire blow out is probably the largest concern, but like you, after seeing years of truck abuse over 100s or 1000s of trucks, IMO it’s not super probable.
Tires I got are pretty stout.
Boat itself isn’t 7klbs. It’s a 20’ boat. Never scaled it, but lists 3575 lb dry weight without tower and other stuff.
Tower adds at least 500lbs bare. Another 1000lbs in speakers, batteries, amps, accessories. 400lbs fuel. Couple hundred in sundries. Plus a 1500lb trailer. It’s between 6 and 7klbs.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on boat trailers having less tongue weight than other trailers.
I figure out the boat aerodynamics prevents the trailer from fishtailing, you'd have with square trailer.
I would love to see a picture of 7k lb boat behind TC.
The heaviest boat I had was 25' cabin cruiser, 102" wide, with toilet and water tanks. That boat was less than 3600 lb, or about 5k wet on the trailer.
I overloaded my SRW trucks with construction materials almost every day, but having tall TC on overloaded singles - I could not shake the vision what might happen after tire blow-up and bought dually within few weeks.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I never worry about tire loading, one can get tires with adequate load capacity. What always concerns me is, are the rims capable of carrying the weight. DOT requirements are that each rim must be stamped with it's maximum weight rating. What I go by. Some rims are stamped with the maximum capacity in simple to read numbers, some are encoded with factory gibberish, but all are stamped one way or another.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jplante4 wrote:
In general, tongue weight is 15% of the trailer load. You can change that by shifting the boat forward or aft. An aft center of gravity is less stable, so don't go nuts.

For sure, not enough tongue weight is worse than too much.
Mine isn’t adjustable, boats locked in to one spot but it tows great. V drive so a lot of weight aft and trailer axles are pretty far aft so no tail wagging.
Gonna guess it’s 10% plus tongue weight

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
It was a mid 90s SRW. Probably just had an air bag go down. The right side was at least 6 inches lower.

Oh snap!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
In general, tongue weight is 15% of the trailer load. You can change that by shifting the boat forward or aft. An aft center of gravity is less stable, so don't go nuts.

Tongue weights for boat trailers is much different than than an rv. Most of the boat weight sits directly over the trailer axles so the normal range is only between 5-7 percent tongue weight. The higher end for single axle, lower end for tandem.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It was a mid 90s SRW. Probably just had an air bag go down. The right side was at least 6 inches lower.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
From where I'm standin, that looks pretty good?
I don't got a soggy butt truck but it takes 60psi in the bags and some wedges in the springs to keep it healthy looking!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you are fine. I saw his going down the road near Cle Elum last weekend. For those keeping score, it looked even worse from a distance. In this picture it looks almost level.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member