cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety wire for jacks?

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone rigged some type of safety wire or something to keep their camper jacks from accidentally dropping down while traveling?
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss
9 REPLIES 9

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I think the friction in the acme screw jacks would hold them up. The ball screw units are so smooth they will spin and drop under their own weight. A single broken roll pin will cause them to drop. Luckily, it happened to me while stationary.https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29012203/
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry I should have included that they are Happijacks. I hadn't considered the possibility that they could drop on their own until I read a post that it happened to someone. All of the posts have been helpful.

Thank you
neok
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I don't quite comprehend the jack leg falling. On my RT jacks, the leg is actuated with a ball screw and the lower leg at the top has a welded in insert that engages the screw so, the only way the leg could drop would be for the insert to fail or the screw failed at the top where the gears are and both would render the leg inoperable anyway. Never had one drop on 3 TC's (first was Atwood's, second was HJ and now RT. I guess anything can happen. Seems odd to me.

There are also hydraulic jacks that do not use the screw system.

The OP was not specific as to type so I assumed it was a ball screw jack.

I've seen pictures of hydraulic units but only pictures. Thought that was something 'old school'.

I believe if I had them (hydraulic jacks), I'd fab up something to keep them up as well. Hydraulics tend to 'bleed off' as a rule.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
My thought is that if this is something that is even marginally common, we would hear about it more often.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
I don't quite comprehend the jack leg falling. On my RT jacks, the leg is actuated with a ball screw and the lower leg at the top has a welded in insert that engages the screw so, the only way the leg could drop would be for the insert to fail or the screw failed at the top where the gears are and both would render the leg inoperable anyway. Never had one drop on 3 TC's (first was Atwood's, second was HJ and now RT. I guess anything can happen. Seems odd to me.

There are also hydraulic jacks that do not use the screw system.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies
neok
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did with some light aircraft wire and a couple clips. Saved me a few times. Thought I had a post about it but cannot find it. Total cost was around $10 if I remember correctly.

This is close to what I did Jack wire
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
NEOK wrote:
Has anyone rigged some type of safety wire or something to keep their camper jacks from accidentally dropping down while traveling?

There is a link in this thread to some (top of page 2).

http://www.rv.net/Forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27092816