Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 14' narrow track bouncing when empty. porpoising
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 14' narrow track bouncing when empty. porpoising

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to own a tow dolly. When the dolly had a car on it, I kept 65 PSI in the tires. If towing the dolly empty for any reason, I had 10 PSI in the tires, for exactly that reason.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

I used to own a tow dolly. When the dolly had a car on it, I kept 65 PSI in the tires. If towing the dolly empty for any reason, I had 10 PSI in the tires, for exactly that reason.

^This.
That trailer is designed to gross 7klbs, so it will ride like a buckboard at empty weight and full tires. You're talking about even heavier wheels for what reason? Sounds counterintuitive unless you're planning on running max capacity all the time, but then who cares how it pulls lightly loaded?

Either way, the pic looks like the other 1,000,000 little cargo trailers running around. Nothing special that would make this one tow any differnet. Your perceived possible issue is not really in issue IMO. If that's too heavy of a trailer for what you'll be doing, get a single axle. I'd buy it if you feel it's a deal.

On that note though, $3grand for an almost 20 year old, off brand, run of the mill plain Jane little tandem cargo trailer doesn't seem like a screaming deal. Sounds like market price or better if its in great shape. It's easy to put $500-1000 into it if it needs tires, brake work, bearings etc. as well.

Before you buy it, check out MTI trailers and King Trailer in Wausau WI. They had far and away the best deal on quality (IMO) cargo trailers last year when I needed one in the Midwest.
I was right at $3k, no tax, since I'm a WA resident and happened to be in WI when I needed it, for a 6x14 v nose single axle.
Their website is down, just checked, but they have several in Craigslist. Call them. They wil order/spec and have the exact size and config you want in like 2weeks. They buy a TON of MTI trailers. I'd guess under $4k for a brand new trailer if you want a narrow short tandem like your picture.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

The pic looks like the other 1,000,000 little cargo trailers running around. $3grand for an almost 20 year old, off brand, run of the mill plain Jane little tandem cargo trailer doesn't seem like a screaming deal.
Thanks Grit dog..
If you can find me a "plain Jane" narrow track trailer with round roof within 100 miles of me, I'm all for it! In the year that Iv been searching, Ive only found a few out of the hundreds on CL. Ive only found two companies located much further away who offer narrow track axle packages, but neither of them offer rounded roofs. My featherlite with supposed "one piece roof" leaked like a sieve and was a never ending battle. I haven't contacted MTI trailers.. But I'm willing to bet, they don't offer the narrow track feature or round one piece roofs either.
Grit dog wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

^This.
You're talking about even heavier wheels for what reason? Sounds counter intuitive unless you're planning on running max capacity all the time, but then who cares how it pulls lightly loaded?

I care because inevitably, you have to tow empty. And when the owner brings up bouncing, Red Flag, and makes you wonder.. 15' trailer tires are junk.. enough said
Grit dog wrote:

They buy a TON of MTI trailers. I'd guess under $4k for a brand new trailer if you want a narrow short tandem like your picture.

If I found a company who would build me a narrow track trailer (7' wide but with wheels under and in wheel wells instead of on the outside in fenders) with round roof (Builders construct them differently with more seams these days) and 16" radials "I imagine" it would cost allot more than the $4k I plan on spending on the kiefer built. But like I said.. "I imagine".
The only thing the kiefer doesn't have that I want is a ramp door.

* This post was last edited 07/01/18 10:06am by rerod *   View edit history

1995 E350 6bt/nv4500, 2006 Featherlite 24' surv toyhauler, 2007 DRZ400s well farkled, 1985 Vmax stock, 1985 Vmax custom

DRTDEVL

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends upon how narrow you want the track. LOL. I'm not within 100 miles, but I know where 3 5x14 Haulmark trailers reside, and always for sale for the right price.

As for your concern, this is how torsion axle trailers behave when empty. There is not enough weight to flex the bushings, so they bounce down the road on any slight imperfection. As stated earlier, you can always lower the tire pressure when empty in order to provide some cushioning. I wouldn't go to 10 as the tow dolly puller, but dropping from 65 to 35 wouldn't hurt anything, just remember to fill them back to the max rating before loading.

Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rerod, sorry, wasn't sure what you meant by narrow track. But yeah those are generally referred to as "inline" trailers vs deckover when the wheels are under them.
They are also widely available, round roof or not, although, your preference, flat multi piece roofs don't generally leak either. At least not the large number of personal and work trailers I've had over the years.
Was just providing options as the deal on those trailers and that dealer were a "can't be beat " type of deal when I searched extensively last year. Enough that I bought the trailer, had it deilvered (for a fee) and sold it when I was done with it for almost a grand more than I paid for it.
Regarding 15" tires, I'm curios to understand why they are so terrible. Same deal, 12-14-15-16" trailer tires. Have had lots of them and they are all good for their intended purpose. If you want to have 2x the capacity you need, it doesn't mean that the intended ones s uck.

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need to apologize Grit dog. But when I do a search for "inline trailer", I'm not seeing what I'm looking for. A 7' wide enclosed trailer with wheels under instead of on the sides.

The only two companies who Iv found to offer a narrow track trailer are diamondcargo and a dealer called cargotrailernj.com. Maybe I havent seached hard enough but I wouldnt call them "widely available".

Who else makes them?

Thanks

narrow track 1

narrow track 2

But as you can see the fenders stick out at least 4" more than the kiefer I'm considering.

* This post was edited 07/01/18 01:48pm by rerod *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I stand corrected. Round roof, inline axles cargo trailer probably isn't that common. Most 7 wide trailers with narrow track or inline axles are snowmobile or motorcycle trailers with a vee nose.
I didn't really hone in on the specifics you require. So maybe it is a deal if you need exactly that style of trailer.
May still be worth a call to King Trailers in Wausau. Think it was Jeremy that I dealt with.
Suffice it to say I rarely buy brand new high $ items like trailers. But the price was the same as used ones in that area and way less than other new brands/dealers. They do have narrow tracks and they do have round roofs. Maybe could order one for a decent price.

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Topic kind of changed, but I found another narrow track..

Pace narrow track

As far as the tires.. I plan on dragging this trailer to remote locations fully loaded where I could easily run over a boulder or drop into a rut that puts most of the weight on one axle. Iv read enough bad reports from 15" bias ply trailer tires to feel they are my achilles tendon. Plus, I'd like the wheels of the truck and trailer interchangeable.. Lug spacing, yes

Thanks for the tip and I will give King Trailers in Wausau a call soon.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As was said above, bounce and porpoising are two different things.

You said you have bounce so lets look at that.

Dolly's bounce when there is no load on them because they have no suspension and the tires act as such.

Small trailers do have suspension but they do the same thing as a tow dolly when there is no load in them because of high spring rates.

Two things you can do.

#1. Lower the air pressure on you tires so it will cushion the ride and act as a suspension component.

#2. Get some shocks on the trailer so the shocks will control the rebound. You will have to pick the correct ones. Ones with too much compression and you will be right back to bouncing all over the place again.

Good luck and happy travels.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rerod

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

May still be worth a call to King Trailers in Wausau.

I talked to Bud at King Trailers who quoted me $5k for a 7x16 narrow track with flat roof. They offer round roofs but where they place the seams these days, it isnt worth it imo.
And $600 extra for 16" radials and 5200# axles. The 16" wheels don't sound as attractive now because Bud said the offset of the rim would be different than my trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 14' narrow track bouncing when empty. porpoising
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS