Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/18 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new to the RV world. Bought a 2006 National Sea Breeze LX. We’ve been out 3 times now, and have a 2 ½ week trip coming up in a few weeks. I’ve been posting on a few of the threads here regarding handling of a gasser, and have been slowly getting the ride and handling better and better. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and comments. However, I’m curious about 2 things – first, what is the normal speed you folks drive on the interstates? I was told that most Class A gassers will tell you what speed they want to go, and I’ve found that 63-64 mph is about it before the ride becomes too white knuckled. Slowing down makes the driving less stressful, but then the speed difference of myself and the semi’s increases the amount of push they give me (some of the pushes can be a bit butt-puckering - I have a Hellwig rear bar on the way). So what speed do most of you drive? Next, what kind of mpg do you get? Last trip we got 9.3mpg with a Ford V10, which I thought was pretty good. I kept the speed around 60mph the entire time. And just a curious question – what kind of mileage does a DP get in comparison? Thanks!

Al

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/18 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, the rear track bar will help a lot with the trucks. Second, take a secondary road instead of the Interstate, lot more interesting. Third, if you have a toad generally 65 is the limit. We usually travel around 60-65 and we have some phone apps to warn us when we exceed that speed. Fourth, that is excellent mileage, we generally figure 7-7.5(with a toad, 36')

TheLuvShack

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a V10 in a 31' Class C and get between 7.5-10 mpg. Depends on wind direction, terrain, speed and if I'm towing a car. I like 65 mph. I'm on vacation so I get in the slow lane and let the world pass me. As you get more driving experience, you'll get used to the semi push. You'll naturally react to it over time until you hardly notice it. I have front and rear stabilizer bars and Safe T Plus Steering stabilizer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swphotobug wrote:

First, the rear track bar will help a lot with the trucks. Second, take a secondary road instead of the Interstate, lot more interesting. Third, if you have a toad generally 65 is the limit. We usually travel around 60-65 and we have some phone apps to warn us when we exceed that speed. Fourth, that is excellent mileage, we generally figure 7-7.5(with a toad, 36')

Yeah, Hellwig is running 3-4 weeks out from order, so I don't know if it will be here in time for our upcoming trip. I've got a new Bilstein steering bar going on in a week or two, as the Safe-T one began to bind, giving me a strong pull to the right. New Bilstein shocks as well.

I'm thinking 60mph might be my speed. My #1 rule is to never be in a hurry, so for the destination trips (this one is to Ohio from Florida) I'm thinking of keeping my daily driving to 300 or so miles, so 60mph is 5 hours. Probably 6 hours on the secondary roads. At this point we only have our bikes and will be using Uber at our Ohio destinations as we will be near major cities. I'm sure a toad will be in our future once I retire (2-3 years) and we go out for longer trips.

Glad to hear my mpg is good, although I'm sure it will go down a bit once we get into toad mode. Thanks!!

Al

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TheLuvShack wrote:

I have a V10 in a 31' Class C and get between 7.5-10 mpg. Depends on wind direction, terrain, speed and if I'm towing a car. I like 65 mph. I'm on vacation so I get in the slow lane and let the world pass me. As you get more driving experience, you'll get used to the semi push. You'll naturally react to it over time until you hardly notice it. I have front and rear stabilizer bars and Safe T Plus Steering stabilizer.

Re: Semi push - Yeah, I'm already "looking" for when a semi is in my side mirror. It's when you get a little more push than you're expecting is when that little shot of adrenaline hits you. After about 25 or 30 of those over 4 or 5 hours I'm tired!! Am really looking forward to the rear bar getting here.

Al

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

62 MPH has been my happy zone for both ride quality, time to distance and fuel economy. I will admit I have found the engine speed limiter, several times. Interstate left exits lanes can be a rear pain with an RV and traffic.

The Hellwig bar may have helped a little with rear end push by passing trucks and weather related wind but any assist is secondary to what the bar does, sway control. A rear trac bar should tame the coach, at least it did for me. I've been startled by trucks suddenly appearing at my left elbow.

And your 9.3 MPG, enjoy the number while you can but considering it was a single fill up it's not your average. You'll need several fills to establish a true average. I've accumulated 46,000 miles and filled up 148 times. Tank to tank I've had as high as 9.15 MPG and as low as 4.83 and my average is pretty much between the two numbers at 7.18 MPG. Coach weight plays a part along with traffic, weather. towing and the biggest factor, how heavy is your right foot?

2006 Hurricane 31D

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are not retired yet 300 mpd is fine. We are retired and we travel around 200-250 or in camp by 2 PM. No rush for us. Driving a MH is much more tiring than driving a car. We also get off the road or don't travel in inclement weather.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a V-10 for 13 years in a 36ft Class A and over 120k miles. I found the sweet spot for both comfort and mpg to be 62 mph. I would average 7+ to 9+ mpg at that speed,depending on terrain and wind, any faster and it dropped quickly to the 6+ mpg range.
We now have a 43 ft Class A diesel that weighs 40,000 lbs and I drive about the same speed- 62mph and get 8-9 mpg. Again, if I drive faster, the mpg will drop, but usually only to the low 7 +mpg.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

traded from a 5th wheel with a diesel duelly (8.5mpg) to a 38' gas MH (8.5mpg) first trip was 880 miles trying to keep up with traffic 70-75mph like I did with the trailer. Found it to be work to keep it from swaying and drifting. Second trip was 280 miles and dropped back to 61mph, found it much easier to control and actually enjoyed the drive. Got to adjust attitude along with my driving skills, to much type A, for my class A.

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ozzy & Dobby

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

now-2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 dog nights wrote:

traded from a 5th wheel with a diesel duelly (8.5mpg) to a 38' gas MH (8.5mpg) first trip was 880 miles trying to keep up with traffic 70-75mph like I did with the trailer. Found it to be work to keep it from swaying and drifting. Second trip was 280 miles and dropped back to 61mph, found it much easier to control and actually enjoyed the drive. Got to adjust attitude along with my driving skills, to much type A, for my class A.

Indeed, I'm a type A as well. [emoticon] I'm putting together some "rules" for RVing:

1. You are never in a hurry
2. When you get in a hurry refer back to rule #1
3. The 330 rule - never drive more than 330 miles, and get there by 3:30 in the afternoon (my wife read this rule in one of the mags, but I think it's a good one).

I'm sure there will be more rules as we learn. I will say my wife and I are hooked, so there will be lots of learning!!

It sure is looking like 60-62mph is a good number. When we pull out July 14 for 16 days I'll start with a full tank and end with one so I can see what the mpg is over a long (2000 mile) trip.

Al

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS