Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/18 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a know fact, anyone driving faster than me is a maniac, slower than me is a moron! (George Carlin)

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ozzy & Dobby

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

now-2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

angler

WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too am new the Class A arena. Took my first trip to Florida last winter. Semi's take a while to get use to check your mirrors often, but sometimes they will sneak up on you. Something to be said about running 60-65 and let everyone pass you. Stay in the right lane let people merge in front of you. It actually in some ways an easier drive than doing 80 and going in and out of traffic in a car IMHO. 300-400 miles is good amount of miles. Leave at 9:00 get off the road by 3:30. Miss morning traffic and night traffic, but I'm retired and not in a hurry.

2002 Tiffin Allegro Bay 35DB
Workhorse 8.1

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 02:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

23hotrodr wrote:

Floridarosebud- I think the Safe-T-steer you reference and the Bilstein stabilizer are not the same type devices at all. The Bilstein is simply a dampner that helps you control sudden movements. The Safe-T-Steer is most likely a self centering dampner that tries to help you hold the steering in the center "neutral" position along with dampning. It sounds like the Safe-T-Steer is not centered and needs to be adjusted by getting it "centered again on your steering components. Just make very small adjustments until it is centered again. The self centering is much better than the simple dampner.

I have the Safe-T-Plus and it does take a few trial and error adjustments of the attaching bracket on the tie rod to get it centered, but once adjusted, makes a big difference. Good luck-- Mickey

OK, I will look into that. The old Safe-T-steer was popping as you turned the wheels back and forth, so it was removed and trashed. (was very rusty and the end bushings were worn out as well) I'll see how the Bilstein works out and how much it helps. If it still wanders too much then maybe I'll need to buy a new Safe-T-Plus.

Thanks!!

Al

Edit: I forgot to mention I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Bilstein tech-support discussing their stabilizer, and from our discussion I felt like it would do the same thing. I'll report back after it's installed and I see how well it works.

OK - as promised - the report back. The steering stabilizer (dampener) is on. Boy, what a difference. First, as @23hotrodr said, it is NOT a return to center device. It just tightens up the steering. Had it out yesterday and did not have to work the steering wheel near as much. In fact, could have now used just one hand (but didn't). Tracks straighter. Not as much wander. I was able to increase my speed from 60-63mph to 70mph without it being white knuckled. I still was not comfortable with that speed, but it was easier to obtain and maintain.

Now if Hellwig would just ship my anti-sway bar we'd be set. I've been waiting 4 1/2 weeks since I ordered. They say shipping is next week. Glad they are busy, but I was really hoping to have it on before my next outing, which starts July 13 (in 1 week from today). Oh well...We are taking some of the members advice and we've re-routed our trip to take more roads off of the main interstates. Should be fun...

Al

Solo

NE Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/18 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

And just a curious question – what kind of mileage does a DP get in comparison? Thanks!

Al

A lot of variables here of course (speed, weight, engine, terrain, weather) but, I will drive at the same speed as what the semis are doing. I'm as big as they are and do not want to be dodging traffic. If the big rigs are doing the speed limit, then that's where we are comfortable. A DP and then adding a tag is a different driving experience than a Class A gasser. Our 42' tag with 450 HP Cummins ISL, 7mpg at 70 mph.

* This post was edited 07/06/18 07:26am by Solo *

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2005 Jeep TJ Toad with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't put that many miles on our recently acquired Newmar, but so far, I prefer to stick to 60-65 mph and I'm content to stay in the right lane and let others pass on by. We're about to venture out with the tow car attached and I'll be getting a better idea of how that speed range works and the braking response using the Brake Buddy Advantage. In a week or so, the motorhome will be getting new Toyo M154 tires and I'm looking forward to seeing how that impacts ride quality and how it handles at highway speeds although I have no complaints as currently equipped.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scbwr wrote:

We haven't put that many miles on our recently acquired Newmar, but so far, I prefer to stick to 60-65 mph and I'm content to stay in the right lane and let others pass on by.

I'm pretty good about "keep right except to pass" (the DW would probably say anal), but all my close calls have been in the right lane. People merging see a motor home and feel the need to get in front rather than follow. On a busy I-95 in FL, I was dead stopped in the right lane behind a bus which was behind a broken down car. With people swerving at the last minute, I figured it was only a matter of time before we were rear-ended by a truck.

Since I started towing, I now use the center lane when there are more than 2 lanes. I have to grit my teeth when people go by on the right, because I know they're yelling at me that same way I would be yelling [emoticon]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vehicle I'm towing usually is the limiting factor for speed. Towed a Ford Fusion (hybrid) for years, Ford limited it to 70 mph max, so I kept speed between 65 and 70. Now, I have a Ford Taurus, Ford limits it to 65mph max when towing, so I stay between 60 and 65.

When not towing, I'll pretty well keep up with whatever the traffic is doing, although rarely get over 70 as it just uses up so much fuel at that speed, and it doesn't feel as comfortable to drive much faster than that.

Far as mileage goes: I average around 7-8 mpg, depending on several factors. But, that is when towing a car, AND with the generator using some fuel also most the time, to power the air conditioner. Most trips, though, I don't really keep track of fuel mileage, 'cause I know its gonna be bad. When you are moving something this heavy, that is so 'aerodynamically challenged'..... You're going to burn up a lot of fuel, whether its diesel or gas. No way around that, and is just part of 'the price of admission' for traveling like this.

Far as miles per day, driving distance: Maybe its cause I'm younger than most Class A owners (haven't hit 50 yet), but I have no problem driving 450 or 500 miles a day, and frequently do when we take longer trips. I just try to get off the road and get to a campsite before dark is all.

Haven't done any suspension mods to our Motorhome like some have talked about, but seriously considering a trac bar and maybe an upgraded sway bar. Haven't yet after all these years (have owned the MH for 6 years), because always have a hard time justifying spending the $$ for such, for something we only use maybe 5 weeks out of the year. I may well put a trac bar on it soon, though.

Will
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

fyrflie

Martinez, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As MH owners we are inclined to throw thousands of dollars at a problem until we are comfortable with the outcome but one thing that nobody talks about is oversteer by the driver.
If possible, keep one hand on the wheel with your elbow locked. Arm should be straight. Then make adjustments while driving using your shoulder vs. your arm.
This one trick helped me more than any product I ever bought. And I have a substantial amount of experience driving large vehicles.
The next best fix was getting the rig aligned to proper spec.

And anybody who claims their gas mileage to be above 10 mpg as an average in a 30 plus foot coach needs to recheck their math. Just sayin.

Good luck and have fun.

Monkeyman_and_Lady

Severn, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going 70 to 75 MPH since I got more comfortable driving the coach, then one of my Dolly tires gave way. Destroyed the Rim. Thankfully I had a spare.

I'll probably top off at 65 from now on. But on the drive from Florida it sure wanted to go fast.

Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fyrflie wrote:

\
And anybody who claims their gas mileage to be above 10 mpg as an average in a 30 plus foot coach needs to recheck their math. Just sayin.

I had one trip across Texas heading east one year when I was recording an average of 13.8 in a 37'7" Class A gasser towing a 1992 Chevy lumina APV.. But read on... First another comment.

Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:

I was going 70 to 75 MPH since I got more comfortable driving the coach, then one of my Dolly tires gave way. Destroyed the Rim. Thankfully I had a spare.

Even at 45 MPH the odds are the Tire will shread and the rim will be damaged. Thankfully they use cheap rims.

I saw the tire off a Towed (4down) car that blew on it's owner (Tommany Brandt is a Country Gospel singer drives a Prevost Motor home pulling an SUV) It was impressive... he was parked beside me.

Back to the first story.. The Rest of that 13.8
THe road was laser straight and the "Breeze" was blowing straight down teh road. Tumble weeds blowing past were not crossing the lane lines butg continuing straight down the road...at 90-110 MPH.

I think I got a bit of ASSIST on that trip.

A few days later Both Wind and I changed direction.. I was then headed N.E. and the wing blowing in my fact) 6MPG or less.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Couple of Noob Questions on a Class A Gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS