cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem?

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
I park my camper, 3700 pounds in my driveway which has a slight incline, about 10 degrees. I can pull it out with my truck but not if my truck is loaded. The trailer drags on the ground when I reach the highest point where the street levels off. So I have to pull the trailer out, park it on the street then fill my truck and then go back to pulling the trailer.

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem, or will the wheel break?

Thank you
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Airbags do sound like the easy up easy down solution in your case, but think about airing them back up when you get back home and are backing in.
Long enough air hose from your compressor, or pirchase a decent 12V compressor, air tank, or integrated airbag system with compressor.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Weight Distribution Hitch. Transfers some of the weight that is resting on the tow vehicle's rear axle to the tow vehicle's front axle (to maintain steering) and to the trailer's axle(s). May, or may not, include sway control built in.

Thanks for the definition and yes, I have a wdh.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weight Distribution Hitch. Transfers some of the weight that is resting on the tow vehicle's rear axle to the tow vehicle's front axle (to maintain steering) and to the trailer's axle(s). May, or may not, include sway control built in.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
bartlettj wrote:
Are you using a wdh? It sounds like you need one.

What is a wdh?

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
Are you using a wdh? It sounds like you need one.

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
BTW, how much c rap are you putting in the back of the truck after you have the camper loaded?

My wife does like the comforts of home, but itโ€™s my scuba diving equipment that takes up all the weight. Just the scuba cylinders when full of air add up to almost 200 pounds. Not to mention the tandem kayak on the cap.

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Using a ball with a 5 inch riser worked but in the end I found it stressful to change the ball in the middle of the street. As for the boards, I have an angle to take into account; Iโ€™m not good enough to backup directly on the boards in these conditions. So the best solution is to have Air bags installed on my truck and this will solve the problem.

Thank you all for your great advice.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'll say not enough info to advise. I understand basically what is happening, but the why could be many reasons.
If everything is fine and to your liking when loaded up and headed down the road and the problem really is just a really bad dip or break over angle in your driveway that is worse than to be expected anywhere else, then some boards, airbags, higher hitch, etc should be the answer.

BTW, how much c rap are you putting in the back of the truck after you have the camper loaded?
Are you one of those, Traeger, 4 bikes, load of firewood, 5k generator, pop up tent, swingset for the kids, 200qt cooler with 3 racks of 'Stones on ice and a dog crate for your wolfhound kind of guy?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d just use a couple 2x6โ€™s under the truck tires to give you the clearance you need, cut to length you need the extra height. Stack a couple if 1 not enough.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You won't bend the frame on the trailer. You'll just bend the jack and break the caster wheel, almost immediately.

Trailer jacks are really only meant to hold the trailer tongue up. They are not designed for side loads imposed on them by pushing the trailer around, let alone being towed with the weight of the truck also on the jack.

Commercially available trailer jack casters are just cheap plastic wheels with stamped steel frames. No bearings. They won't roll unless the trailer is EXTREMELY light on the tongue.

Speaking from experience here. The only trailer I was able to use a caster on effectively is my single-axle 6x10, and then only when it's empty.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
komodo wrote:
I park my camper, 3700 pounds in my driveway which has a slight incline, about 10 degrees. I can pull it out with my truck but not if my truck is loaded. The trailer drags on the ground when I reach the highest point where the street levels off. So I have to pull the trailer out, park it on the street then fill my truck and then go back to pulling the trailer.

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem, or will the wheel break?

Thank you

IMO that is an excellent way to ruin your trailer's frame by potentially bending it. Trailers are not designed to be supported by only the ball and the opposite very end of the trailer which is exactly what a solid wheel can have the potential to do. The typical "skids" will bend/crush and I believe are there to give you a "warning" thru noise/drag that things aren't right.

As recommended already use boards/blocks something to use the wheels to raise the offending end side to clear whatever you are having problems getting over.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When towing, the trailer very much needs to be level. The ball height is set by that criterion. Tow the trailer to a level parking lot and measure the distance from the asphalt to the bottom of the trailer frame at the rear of the trailer and the tongue. The measurements should be the same.

If it needs to be higher to get out of your driveway, airbags are the best solution to that. It will get very old very quickly having to fully hitch up with one draw bar to tow out of the driveway, then fully unhitch to swap out to a different, lower, draw bar for towing.

Good luck, and let us know what works.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If loading the truck causes you to drag, I'm assuming the hitch is bottoming out.

First question: are you overloaded? I don't see where you listed what you are towing with.

If you are overloaded, time for a new truck as this is only one symptom.
If you aren't overloaded, airbags would be a simple fix or depending on what is hitting, get a ball that sits a few inches higher...odds are you are too low and out of level driving down the road.

Iโ€™m driving a Ford F-150 and I did bring the ball down to match my old vehicle. Maybe thatโ€™s the problem but when I drive away my trailer and truck lineup very straight, horizontal that is.

The air bags have been suggested to me before. I will need to see the cost of having them installed.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If loading the truck causes you to drag, I'm assuming the hitch is bottoming out.

First question: are you overloaded? I don't see where you listed what you are towing with.

If you are overloaded, time for a new truck as this is only one symptom.
If you aren't overloaded, airbags would be a simple fix or depending on what is hitting, get a ball that sits a few inches higher...odds are you are too low and out of level driving down the road.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV