Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
komodo

Lasalle

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I park my camper, 3700 pounds in my driveway which has a slight incline, about 10 degrees. I can pull it out with my truck but not if my truck is loaded. The trailer drags on the ground when I reach the highest point where the street levels off. So I have to pull the trailer out, park it on the street then fill my truck and then go back to pulling the trailer.

Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem, or will the wheel break?

Thank you

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is dragging? Is it the tail of the trailer? Is it the hitch?

Either way, I think adding a wheel is going to make the problem worse. The problem is that the wheel, itself, lowers the contact point at least another 2 inches, increasing the pressure on the system.

If the problem is that the contact point is in a depression, you can lay a pair of long boards across the depression to make it more level while pulling out. If the problem is that the contact point is a high point, you are pretty much stuck with what you are doing now.

Another route may be to add air bags to the truck that you can inflate/deflate from the driver's seat. Inflate them when pulling out to raise the rear of the truck, then deflate them when out of the driveway for normal towing.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried laying boards in gutter area to 'level out' the dip/transition between street and driveway

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While maybe not any more convenient than loading your truck in the street, you could use a ball with a riser just to get it out to the street, then swap stingers for the trip.

komodo

Lasalle

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

While maybe not any more convenient than loading your truck in the street, you could use a ball with a riser just to get it out to the street, then swap stingers for the trip.

That is a great idea, Thanks

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags. Air them up and drive out, then dump the most of the air out to bring the truck back to level.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

komodo

Lasalle

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

What is dragging? Is it the tail of the trailer? Is it the hitch?

It’s the hitch so I think I will try the draw bar as suggested by wnjj and let all know how it went.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If loading the truck causes you to drag, I'm assuming the hitch is bottoming out.

First question: are you overloaded? I don't see where you listed what you are towing with.

If you are overloaded, time for a new truck as this is only one symptom.
If you aren't overloaded, airbags would be a simple fix or depending on what is hitting, get a ball that sits a few inches higher...odds are you are too low and out of level driving down the road.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

komodo

Lasalle

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If loading the truck causes you to drag, I'm assuming the hitch is bottoming out.

First question: are you overloaded? I don't see where you listed what you are towing with.

If you are overloaded, time for a new truck as this is only one symptom.
If you aren't overloaded, airbags would be a simple fix or depending on what is hitting, get a ball that sits a few inches higher...odds are you are too low and out of level driving down the road.

I’m driving a Ford F-150 and I did bring the ball down to match my old vehicle. Maybe that’s the problem but when I drive away my trailer and truck lineup very straight, horizontal that is.

The air bags have been suggested to me before. I will need to see the cost of having them installed.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When towing, the trailer very much needs to be level. The ball height is set by that criterion. Tow the trailer to a level parking lot and measure the distance from the asphalt to the bottom of the trailer frame at the rear of the trailer and the tongue. The measurements should be the same.

If it needs to be higher to get out of your driveway, airbags are the best solution to that. It will get very old very quickly having to fully hitch up with one draw bar to tow out of the driveway, then fully unhitch to swap out to a different, lower, draw bar for towing.

Good luck, and let us know what works.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Could I use a jack caster wheel to solve this problem?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS