cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Primary Care Physician

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I (both under 65) will begin our full time adventure in 2019. Currently plan on setting up our domicle in Florida. Hopefully a FL PPO Managed Care plan/s will still be available next yr. My question is will we be able to keep our current Primary Care Physician or will we have to find one in Florida? Would like to keep our current one in Western NY if possible.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring
8 REPLIES 8

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
My partner is not yet 65, so she has a PPO/EPO with Florida Blue (Blue Cross/Blue Shield), not cheap and her policy is one of the lower levels and still runs $750/month. We are Florida Residents, didn't want to pay anymore money to NYS, but still have a Primary Care here locally (We're 50 miles South of Rochester) where we spend part of the Summer.

Thanks for the post! We currently live in Fairport, NY and at this point, looks like we will set up our full timing domicle in Florida next year. Good to know your Primary Care here in NY is in network with Florida Blue. Looks like we can/might possibly keep our Rochester based Primary Care Dr! We're both under 65 and I'm thinking PPO/EPO Blue Cross/Blue Shield for us too.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
My partner is not yet 65, so she has a PPO/EPO with Florida Blue (Blue Cross/Blue Shield), not cheap and her policy is one of the lower levels and still runs $750/month. We are Florida Residents, didn't want to pay anymore money to NYS, but still have a Primary Care here locally (We're 50 miles South of Rochester) where we spend part of the Summer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience BCBS EPO in Florida doesn't have any sort of primary physician requirement. I've had primary physicians in Georgia, Texas and now back to Florida. The physician just needs to be in the network.
-jbh-

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a PPO (I think FL has a Blue Cross EPO) and your current primary physician in in the network, you should be able to still use them. If not, you will have to find a new one. It is difficult to find health care that travels.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to me the short answer is No. Managed Care usually means highly controlled network of providers.

You can still use your favorite Dr. but you will pay all the costs. I do that now with my PCP who like most offers a self pay discount.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Think you should ask your new provider.

Don't have a new provider yet and per my post, we won't till next year. Obviously will ask when the time comes.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Think you should ask your new provider.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Sewsyq
Explorer
Explorer
DH & I did exactly what you are doing now back in 2016.We had put aside quite a bit of money to self-insure until we turn 62 when we would be eligible for insurance through his pension plan. Things didnโ€™t turn out as we planned. We did self insure for the first year using the Marketplace and getting a subsidy, however, when the time came for us to renew our coverage, The prices had gone up significantly and the coverage went down even worse. I donโ€™t think you will find a true PPO insurance, and thatโ€™s not just in Florida, Florida actually has pretty decent insurance options. The bottom line for us was my husband got a job with Disney which was on his bucket list and so he went from part-time to full-time and now we reside in our RV full-time in Florida for at least the next few years to get us through till we can pick up other coverage.
As for a primary care physician, we had to chooses new doctors in FL.
SewsyQ