Explorer
Explorer
I got requested to repost this after it was accidentally deleted

17 REPLIES 17

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting flow chart.

Crime happens where people congregate. People prey upon other people for whatever reason suits their needs. We, as a "civilized" people, gather information and create statistics about crime levels and where they occur. Doesn't matter what the geographical location is or what state line or border was crossed.
We, the human race are/can be, a violent people.

Be careful out there.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I like the chart, it's funny and anyone who doesn't see that must have their shorts in a knot.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Tim considering you are from Las Vegas and what happened there last year, I would think worrying about Mexico is a little strange. One has to remember that most violence in Mexico is bad guys against bad guys, not bad guys aginst tourists. As far as carraying a gun down there, if you good, you would be far outgunned by any cartel. You best protection is your own motuh & wits, not a firearm.

Livin in fear, ain't livin.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
So many people -Get It Wrong- that I felt I should comment.

Narcos Versus Tourists is about a realistic as Cowboys Versus Aliens...

Physical violence against tourists is even rare outside of tourist areas and almost unheard of in downtown tourist areas. A recent episode with a San Diegan in Ixtapa happened at a known sleazy drug and vice bar at 0400 this is not your average tourist.

But property crimes are heavenly in Mexico. Heavenly means the number and the chances are literally beyond count.

Cops and military patrols go home at sundown. And the police are afraid of the dark and remote places unless they are in convoy. We can all thank drug users for this

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Gentlemen you are not looking at the big picture!

It is unsafe anywhere you happen to live, be it Canada, the united States of America or the United States of Mexico (that is Mexico's official name) or any other country in the world.

Unfortunately the gangs and the drugs are destroying every aspect of society,
when drug users have $200 dollars a day need for drugs, theft goes up first they start with the home and family and then they graduate to bigger heists if they do not overdose, then you have the gangs and they fight for control of the area where they sell and proceed to destroy every one they touch be it near or far.

Statistics and reports of murders do not have innocents and bad guys separate they lump all together in one report, so the death toll is not broken down and most of the time there is a lot of information that is used by the media and sensationalized in order to sell more stories, they are all aiming for the Pulitzer price with one big story and ordinary persons assume the worst from what they read, the internet is full videos and blogs that do not help, they can not get their facts straight and make up a lot of misleading stories as fact when they are completely wrong, how many of you in Canada or the USA know how many are actually murdered in those countries, by gangs or drug dealers alone , not robberies gone bad, or crimes of passion, or domestic disputes gone bad? not many of you, right? are you safe in your city or town, yes as long as you do not go to the seedy side of town, right?

Whether you travel outside of your comfort zone or not, or travel to Mexico or not is your choice, there are those that do like to travel to other countries and we enjoy that, so please do not berate Mexico because you think it is too dangerous, there are a lot of very educated and wealthy people in Mexico that do not like to go to the United States, they think that it is very dangerous, they prefer to go to Europe, dang for that matter even Canada is safer according to them, so you see there is always one in the crowd that believes that every one in the States carries a gun, the OK corral is alive and well in the streets of America, blame that on Hollywood and the American TV, for that matter there are a lot of Europeans that prefer to go to Mexico or Canada instead off the States they are afraid of going to the United States of America.

Tourist are safe in Mexico, there are areas in some towns that make a living by catering to tourism and will help and assist a foreigner in any way they can when the need arises, you are safer in Mexico than your town, if not go to your local police or sheriff and get them to give you some statistics on the events in town, ADVICE take extra underwear you will need it!

Crime is every ware you can find it in any place you look, if you know were and what you are seeing!

Be alert and be safe out there.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Perhaps the most "realistic" gun danger is getting caught in crossfire between sicarios or sicarios and the police
  • Big time live entertainment that appeals to young people is not recommended
  • Nor are discos that cater to youngsters
  • We strictly enforce "family only" birthday parties
  • No more live music on the beach for festivas
  • The kids enjoy a midnight taco in La Mira. I envision a mass GERD event
  • Los Angeles Verdes and bus drivers are accurate assessors about whether a particular secondary highway is "safe"
  • If your new toad makes a teenager's eyes light up, beware it's a warning like a carjacking or theft Geiger Counter.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I no longer have a need to travel to foreign countries. Sure, it's plenty dangerous here in the USA. But, I have no problem finding ways of having a good time, and not be scared doing it. I feel safe enough overnighting in my motorhome at a Walmart parking lot. And, by all means, you should visit and explore Mexico.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
mexicoruss wrote:
timmac wrote:
I will just stay here in the States where I have never had a problem, get into a accident in Mexico and have a serious injury and see what happens, or run into a crooked Mexican cop and see how much you will need to pay to not be arrested..

Funny thing I have a few Mexicans {legal} working for me and they feel safer here in the States than thier home back in Mexico.

Thank you for staying up there.

Your welcome, how many people running for office in Mexico have been killed in the last few years..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/twenty-eight-mexican-police-held-over-political-murder-media/ar...

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
I will just stay here in the States where I have never had a problem, get into a accident in Mexico and have a serious injury and see what happens, or run into a crooked Mexican cop and see how much you will need to pay to not be arrested..

Funny thing I have a few Mexicans {legal} working for me and they feel safer here in the States than thier home back in Mexico.

Thank you for staying up there.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I live in a suburb of Mexico (southern Arizona) and it sure ain't safe here. On the positive side I carry a firearm for protection, can't do that in Mexico.

Are you kidding! I live closer to Nogales and there in little to NO Problems especially compared to the big cities in AZ & USA. Crossings are at a 30 year low and if the Mexican weren't crossing to shop in Tucson and Phoenix the state, Arizona, would be lagging financially worst than it already is. I have off-road in ALL of the area between Tucson and the Border for nearly 20 years and NEVER once have had a problem with anyone, either side of the border. Rode dirt bike & side x side off-road nearly 400 miles in this area this last May. Sad to see so much misinformation! If you feel unsafe here you sure don't want to go East!

rocmoc n rural AZ near the border!
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Talleyho69
We always felt much safer traveling in Mexico than in the US.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the violence perpetrated with guns in Mexico is NARCO VS. NARCO and not that much against random innocent victims, out of 100 murders 90 are committed by narcos against other narcos for control of territory or drug routes, the remaining 10 are your standard murders of passion and robberies gone wrong or carjacking's that the owner has resisted instead of just handing the keys and or purse, you have more innocent persons being gunned down in the US than in Mexico, most of the murdered persons and therefore the statistics are related to persons involved in the drug trafficking, bad guys and innocents are all lumped together at the end in a number, regardless of who they are.

One has to remember that Mexicans are hot headed and have very short fuses, couple that with alcohol and add a gun and you have total chaos, it is bad enough that they have cuchillos (knifes) and really sharp machetes, you do not want them armed with a gun, I can deal with a knife or a machete but not with a gun that easy.

So no, having lax gun laws will not help in Mexico at all, as a matter of fact the police and army conduct random checks that focus on concealed weapons and you can only purchase small 22 caliber guns for home protection at special army stores with a one time permit to transport the weapon to the house, it is nearly impossible for a regular civilian to obtain a concealed and carry permit, unless you know or have someone in the government.

As for the Canadians and gringos travelling in RV'S you are actually safer in Mexico than in the US, the bad guys do not want to interfere with the turista, it brings to much attention to them from the press and from the government agencies, that is the last thing that they want, as for simple robberies well you will also be mugged in Canada and the US as you will in Mexico, that happens all over the world, give the perp an opportunity and you're it.

Some years ago in Texas they allowed the narcos to purchase weapons from arms dealers with out to many restrictions, they wanted to trace where the weapons ended, the last operation was out of Phoenix, Arizona run by the ATF they called it Fast and Furious, it went down the drain as fast as it started, they lost track of all the weapons and some ended in Texas, that is how the narcos got a hold of some pretty powerful sniper rifles and ammo, 2,000 weapons some have been recovered, Mexican Government was not informed, they found out when the news papers ran the story, today most of the illegal weapons enter trough the border with Guatemala, Swiss cheese has les holes than that border, that is how they got hold of RPG's one was used to bring down a police helicopter, some of drug lords have gold platted AK 47 rifles and 45' hand guns and 9mm guns with ivory handles, some are really nice and fancy.

I will repeat as an RVer travelling in Mexico you are safer than in the US, I can not speak of Canada because I do not have info on that, I have only been in Gander at the airport while the aircraft was refueled for the hop to and from Europe.

Some of the foreigners that have been murdered in Mexico at the end of the investigation it has been determined that they were involved with narcos in one way or another, yes there have been others that got killed but they were a crime of opportunity more for robbery than anything else.

So as a turista in Mexico with or with out an RV you have a safe pass card, just do not do anything dumb.

navegator

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Orion wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I live in a suburb of Mexico (southern Arizona) and it sure ain't safe here. On the positive side I carry a firearm for protection, can't do that in Mexico.

True, but on the other hand, everyone else can carry a firearm as well!
A good question would be if Mexico would be safer if it had the same gun laws as the US?

IMO it would be a lot more dangerous for the criminals. But, we'll never know,...IMO.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat