Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Florida to Upstate NY (Saratoga Springs)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Florida to Upstate NY (Saratoga Springs)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
AlwaysDreaming

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2017 22 Ft. Class C Ford E-350 Super Duty Triton V10 flat towing Ford Fiesta (2600 lbs). About 10 MPG in Florida (flat elevation)

I-95 to I-87 Eastern Seaboard Route is flat elevation but crowded and requires correct timing, especially if boon docking "overnight".
1300 miles / 10 MPG = 130 Gal X $2.80 = $364 ($728 round trip)

I-95 to I-77 to I-81 to I-88 to I-87 is the road less traveled, no timing required, easy boon docking "overnight". Less than 1 hr extra time difference one way. However, hilly (Mountainous?) terrain, Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia, Endless Mountains in PA, Catskills in NY.

Anybody have experience on these routes and how MPG is affected?
For Example, If I lose 3 MPG going through the mountain valleys:
1300 miles / 7 MPG = 186 Gal X $2.80 = $521 ($1042 round trip)

That is a savings of $314 staying on the crowded seaboard.

Am I thinking straight? Even at a $200 savings I would be inclined to save the money

Thanks

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO the big killer is the fact you're trying to push a large garden shed down the highway, the parasitic losses due to wind resistance is the big killer.

Don't forget also, for every hill you have to climb, there's a downhill you get to coast too. It's only the difference in fuel to climb minus the fuel saved coasting down that hill that you have to account for. I'd be surprised if you'd notice much of a difference in mileage once you're towing a car already.

I do the reverse of that route, Toronto to Florida, on a pretty regular basis. For the few times I need a car at the other end I just rent. I get a brand new car delivered to me for a few days for about the increased fuel cost just to hit the border!! ;-p

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't expect a 30% decrease in average fuel mileage, assuming your speed is about the same in either case. Don't forget to factor in tolls as well: none on the I-81 route, some on the other route depending on exactly how you go. (The little bit of NY thruway on I-90 between I-88 and I-87 is free if you go between those two exits specifically.)

Personally, especially with a motorhome, I'd take the I-81 route pretty much every time--and indeed I have done so in a car several times as my dear mother now lives in Florida.

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the I 77 route the hiss are not that bad until you reach the NC Virginia border. Once there you have one long pull to the top. Then various size hills.

On the 95 route hills will start on PA border but not as steep.

You might get a better response if you ask the MOD to move this to roads and routes.

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus three cocker spaniels

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd choice, nicer drive.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

2nd choice, nicer drive.
X2. Much nicer, less stressful, I suspect "safer" boondocking. I would vote to arrive with your sanity intact and take 81. Unless we are stopping to see East coast friends that is how we do our annual run down and back anymore.

But, if saving a couple hundred $$$ matters, I would expect you will do that shooting straight up 95.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Don't forget also, for every hill you have to climb, there's a downhill you get to coast too. It's only the difference in fuel to climb minus the fuel saved coasting down that hill that you have to account for.

You spend more time pulling uphill than you spend coasting downhill, so it's not a wash.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-95 = Traffic, construction, stop and go, not very scenic ...

I-81 = Much less traffic, scenic - no construction

We did this route from MA to FL for years and years - the first few, I-95, but then I-81, and after a few times "testing each", made the I-81 route the forever choice ...

For us, even if the savings are true, and personally, I doubt it but never actually cost-tested it, the drive up I-95 became something to dread ... and tolls eat some of the savings as well.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Don't forget also, for every hill you have to climb, there's a downhill you get to coast too. It's only the difference in fuel to climb minus the fuel saved coasting down that hill that you have to account for.

You spend more time pulling uphill than you spend coasting downhill, so it's not a wash.

Which is exactly why I DIDN’T say it was.

If you go (for ease of discussing) 5 miles of uphills at 5 mpg (1 gallon burned), and 5 miles of downhills at 15 mpg (0.33 gallon burned), you have burned 1.33 gallons to go 10 miles.

You have then averaged ~7.5 mpg over those 10 miles.

* This post was edited 06/25/18 06:16pm by JaxDad *

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Surprisingly, the difference in elevation between the I-95/I-26 split in SC and our upstate NY cottage is exactly the same no matter which route we take! The ups and downs must even out either way somewhere along the way to end up at the same elevation... [emoticon]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Florida to Upstate NY (Saratoga Springs)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS