cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

is there a caravan to mazatlan in jan.

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
thinking about mazatlan next winter. Is there a group that heads there from the USA.
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hijole senor I hope you and yours are OK! When I am a passenger these days I emphasize NO TENGO PRISA! (I do not have hurry).

Please heal quickly and be blessed with a smile.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, sorry to take so long to respond. I was in a serious accident and just getting things together. There are caravans in January & november, including ones to Mazatlan with stay over options. I will PM you

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The airport in Tijuana has a bridge from the Mexican terminal to the USA terminal, you do not clear customs or immigration in Mexico but on the US side, I believe that these are international flights to Europe, I am not sure since we only fly by Aeronaves from TJ to Mรฉxico City, we call it the 3 peanut bucket seat (as in pail), most uncomfortable three hours.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the camper on a one ton four wheel utility bed truck...

Downtown Hermosillo. 5PM solid jammed traffic.

Two motorcycle cops saw the camper sticking way up across several lanes of traffic.

Oh boy an infraccion for sure!

As a pair....Squawk! Red lights. They squawked from lane to lane. I relaxed. Now in my lane several vehicles back more squawking from their siren. Then they were alongside. Red lights off -- squawkers silent. They looked at me at they went by. I did not look at them. They had been convinced the pickup was a dually.

I knew then that their vehicles pesados bypass was strictly enforced. That was almost 30 years ago.

I use 57-D now. Back then there were zero signs along the truck route in Hermosillo.

For commuting, it's tough to beat Tijuana to Zihuatanejo via Volaris. That's a tomorrow thing -- three hours later I am at the centro camionera in Tijuana. It's always a hoot climbing the stairway.

Talleyho69
The Hermosillo bypass is NOT far away! Fausto said it was scheduled to be open in June of this year, but it wasn't. It was very close to being complete, at least at the two ends where it meets the old road. It will be a gift.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
As a bit of reassurance the only issue a person may have would be getting through Hermosillo if entering at Nogales, and I don't think anyone would try to make it to Mazatlan in one day from Texas.

When a person wishes to buddy-up a lack of details may clam some people up.

"A couple aged 60 and their dog wish to go to Mazatlan in late December. We have xxxx Ford diesel and a xxxx fifth wheel. Can we enter at xxxx and take the Copper Canyon toll road. We are flexible about dates and travel habits"

Talleyho69
You can also post here asking for a travel partner.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
There is an RV park in Nogales and I imagine in any other Texas border city. If you check around when staying there even if takes a few days you can find someone to pal with on your way south. The big sticklers are...

• If they make a green light and you don't what happens?
  • If you or they have a flat or a breakdown what then
  • How experienced is the "experienced" pal?
  • Do they speak Spanish?
  • I always had a few folks ask me to herd them to Totonaka RV park in San Carlos
  • A shrimp dinner would serve as a tip
  • Leaders must back off speed which really crimps their style in some cases.

Talleyho69
Great idea, and hopefully interested parties will do that!

D_D_Wanderers
Explorer
Explorer
If you want more information, PM me.
D & D
Cummins pushin Newmar

Talleyho69
It would be helpful to name names so an informed decision could be made as to whom to travel with.

D_D_Wanderers
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful about choosing a caravan to Mexico. We used one last year from Mexico. It turned out to be a gong show!! We where a little suspicious when the pre departure communication was so confusing, contradictory and at times not even pertaining to our tour. The first wagon masters where not properly vetted. They where fired. The replacement was inexperienced, but did the best he could. Some of the venues we paid for and where supposed to visit, where not prebooked, so we where turned away. I could go on. If it had not been for the cooperation and good will of the rest of the group, it would have been a real disaster. These shoddy tour companies give Tourism Mexico a black eye that it certainly does not need or deserve.
D & D
Cummins pushin Newmar

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Check with tequila, send him a mesage click on his name and you will see on the drop down in blue letters the words send private message, he will reply and or tell you of a caravan wagon master.

navegator

Talleyho69
There is bound to be, and someone, hopefully one of our respected leaders of caravans will respond to you soon!