Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: School me on 5th wheel hitches please
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> School me on 5th wheel hitches please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
rmalik1

Pittsburgh,Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/18 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&W is my choice. In a oil field/fracking campground at the moment so everyone here is FT.
90 percent have B&W

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

exit 295

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Original poster here. Thank you all again for all of your information and suggestions. We were looking at a Grand Design 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel trailer yesterday. It was an early in the model year build and did not have the hitch that can be adjusted to make it a pivoting type like I had seen on other Grand Design models. I pointed this out to the sales guy and he brought over his "hitch expert" and we discussed possibly using an Anderson hitch with this particular trailer. He went into his sales pitch saying that they sell Anderson hitches but that if it were used with this trailer that it would void the trailer warranty. He said that the Anderson hitch has caused cracking in the front frame and cap of several trailers.
So, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this or is the salesman just trying to steer me towards another brand (more profit).
Personally, with what I have heard from you all is that I will stick with a conventional hitch when the time comes to buy and I am leaning towards a B&W Patriot.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a B&W Patriot, it's a solid hitch and you can't go wrong choosing it.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/18 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

exit 295 wrote:

Original poster here. Thank you all again for all of your information and suggestions. We were looking at a Grand Design 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel trailer yesterday. It was an early in the model year build and did not have the hitch that can be adjusted to make it a pivoting type like I had seen on other Grand Design models. I pointed this out to the sales guy and he brought over his "hitch expert" and we discussed possibly using an Anderson hitch with this particular trailer. He went into his sales pitch saying that they sell Anderson hitches but that if it were used with this trailer that it would void the trailer warranty. He said that the Anderson hitch has caused cracking in the front frame and cap of several trailers.
So, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this or is the salesman just trying to steer me towards another brand (more profit).
Personally, with what I have heard from you all is that I will stick with a conventional hitch when the time comes to buy and I am leaning towards a B&W Patriot.

You’re dealing with idiots. By virtue of design, the AUH doesn’t change the application of forces vs. a conventional hitch. They are probably painting with a broad brush, confusing it with the more common gooseneck adaptor. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I would ask the dealer why they sell a hitch that (supposedly) causes this damage.

Now, this is not to comment on the warranty matter. There very well could be some merit to that, but the suggestion of damage is ludicrous.

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a air hitch by trailersaver the BD3 model and its been great for me. I dont think I could ever go back to a standard hitch again.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

exit 295 wrote:

You have to be =very= careful with which B&W you go with, as any pivoting pin box that requires a wedge may NOT be compatible with some B&W hitches. There are warning stickers on their hitches about using them. Now, if you have OEM hitch prep, and a NON-sliding Companion then, yes, you can use a pivoting pin box. NO sliders are compatible nor are ANY single-point mount Companions. A non-sliding Patriot, on rails, IS compatible.

This info is fresh from a chat with B&W CS about 5 minutes ago.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

exit 295

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you laknox and everyone else for all of your comments and recommendations. This forum is great and I hope to have a new 5th wheel trailer soon. Looks like what we want will have to be ordered which should give me ample time to get a hitch installed. Now just have to find a way to pay for it all! [emoticon]

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

I have a air hitch by trailersaver the BD3 model and its been great for me. I dont think I could ever go back to a standard hitch again.

Amen.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

rickeoni

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

austinjenna wrote:

Amen.

+3

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still liking our air hitch since 2001.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> School me on 5th wheel hitches please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS