cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard side pop up

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
25+ years ago Palomino made a hard side pop up. The walls folded in when the top was lowered (it used spring not crank and cable to raise the roof).

Does anyone still make anything like that ?
8 REPLIES 8

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at a used Hi-Lo trailer recently. It is an intriguing idea, but they take a lot of time to set up and it is very tedious.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not aware that Palomino made a hard side PUP, the one I've most often seen is the Apache.

Today there are A-Frame pop-ups that have hard sides folding into place, but no extensions beyond the box (e.g. A-Liner and clones from Rockwood/Flagstaff and Jayco/Starcraft).

TrailManor built a foldable travel trailer in which both ends collapsed over the box, no fold up sides, ends overlapped the box and each other; there has been an effort to get back into production, but I've seen no trailers at any dealer in my area.

HiLo built a trailer in which the upper part elevated above the box, no folding except for a tip-out couch space on some models. This brand also failed, but there is a current attempt of revival.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
theres actually an apache for sale near us. I am so tempted every time I see it. don't know why they wont make something like that anymore
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
TrailManor is in production, but few units coming off the line at the moment. The company was sold, and the new owners are taking it slow, to make sure they get the process correct.

There are used TrailManors on the market. A good place to look is the http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/TrailManor Owners' Forum.

I loved both TrailManors I had. However, they are 3-season, not 4, and I wanted a 4-season. Had to go with a conventional trailer to get that. I miss the TrailManor, especially in fuel economy and ease of towing.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Of course there was also the Apache. Still a few hanging around and this one appears at our local State Park frequently.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
There are the A-frame hardsides, like Beer Belly mentioned. Aliner, Chalet, the Rockwood/Flagstaff/Coachmen models, and the Jayco/Starcraft models. There's Hi-Lo and TrailManor, not sure if they're currently in production. Then there's a 'sort of' popup made in Quebec Canada, the Alto by Safari Condo; it is hinged at the front so from there to the back raises up via electric switch. I know of no others in production right now.

About 10 years ago, Fleetwood made the Highlander Tacoma. The side walls hinged at the bottoms and flipped vertical after you raised the roof. These even had an indoor wet bath, I believe.
https://www.uclookup.com/detail/2008-Fleetwood-Highlander-Tacoma-Hard-Side-Pop-up_182008026987.html I recall being interested in them back then.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
A-Liner ?
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There have been lots of odd configurations over the years. I looked at a Hi-Lo trailer recently. they take a lot of time to set up and are not as weather tight as a regular trailer.