Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2nd trip w/ TT, Jax FL to Bitterroot MT... several questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> 2nd trip w/ TT, Jax FL to Bitterroot MT... several questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
UVATubaMom

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/18 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pulling out Friday afternoon heading for MT, 2576 miles. This will be my 2nd trip, my 1st was 3 months ago Richmond VA to Jax FL. Yes, I realize this is a haul and a big bite to chew, but I am determined to get there. My Great-Uncle is 85 and I want to record his family stories before he is gone, he is the last of his generation.

I am planning to "Walmart" it all the way across as I plan to only stop long enough to eat and sleep. I have a list of items that I need from Walmart so that I can buy a small something at each one that I stop at. [emoticon] I found a website that lists Walmart's that allow stopping and I have created a list to stop at as I get tired. Any other tips?

Big question is what route to take from Omaha NE to Billings MT. Should I drive up to Sioux Falls and across or cut diagonally across NE?

One last question is why my Awning doesn't roll in all the way? It is out about an half inch to an inch at the top. My TT is a 2018 Coachmen Coleman 21 RD.

Thanks
Tuba Mom

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/18 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have traveled through Nebraska several times and have not found diagonal roads to anywhere. You will have to go north and then west or west and then north. Highway 212 goes diagonally across Montana but it will not save your many miles versus taking I90.
Personally though, I prefer the two lane roads instead of the I with its 80 mph speed limit.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just google/Mapquest/etc the shortest route?
Avoid cities during rush hours , no different than driving a car.
You don’t have to limit yourself to Walmarts for overnights. Lots of other places to stop too. Cabelas and Cracker Barrel are a couple. Bet Bass Pro allowsas well. And I’ve used rest stops for the night across I 90 multiple times. Only place I’ve been hassled about overnighting in a rest area was in the Midwest. And even that may have changed now with the new trucker driving laws.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

mat60

maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/18 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was hoping someone would help him with his Awning because Im having a bit of a problem with mine.

2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Keithk3628

Jacksonville Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the awning manual or electric is my first question.

And seeing in your profile the TT is a 2018 might the dealer explain or fix this as it is probably under warranty

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/18 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nebraska highway 2 does something of a NW to SE diagonal and goes through the surprisingly scenic Sand Hill region. However, you won't see a Walmart, but state forests and parks may be an option.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

Nebraska highway 2 does something of a NW to SE diagonal and goes through the surprisingly scenic Sand Hill region. However, you won't see a Walmart, but state forests and parks may be an option.

Edit, I see I'm late to the party, you are probably nearly there by now. Hope this helps someone else who reads it however.

I've driven NE highway 2 from Nebraska City to Alliance. Its a good road and MIGHT shave some time, certainly some miles. Nebraska Nat Forest at Halsey is a good stop as it is about a quarter mile off the highway to the campground, it is cheap, has many sites with power, and the best, cleanest restroom/shower building I've ever run into. $11 a night and worth it to take a long hot shower and get a decent break from driving.

Otherwise, yes, go up to Sioux Falls and head west on I-90

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> 2nd trip w/ TT, Jax FL to Bitterroot MT... several questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS