cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Specific GPS

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the "RV" GPS units, specifically the Garmin 770LMTS. But the reviews I've seen on Amazon are less than stellar. But, none of the other brands have too great reviews neither. My search on here has had mixed results. Anyone have any suggestions or are these a waste of money compared to your everyday GPS unit like I already own ? Features I'd like are the obvious low bridge, weight limits, and steep grades along the trip. The campground / park info would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
13 REPLIES 13

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, I've been all over the US also, and I have come across bridges that I wouldn't want to have tried to go under with a trailer. Luckily I was on a motorcycle when it has happened. I've not come across any while towing, but I know they are out there. Paraphrasing Mulder "The low bridges are out there". ๐Ÿ™‚

I had traveled for years before I found ran into them (not literally).
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

WNJeffers
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Garmin 760RV a few years ago when we went from a TT to a Class A MH. I probably would not do so again.

The very first year we used it, it took us on a long roundabout drive, I assume to stay on US and Interstate highways, rather than use the more direct FL state highway that saves an hour or more. From that point in time, I have also used the TomTom from my truck alongside the Garmin, as well as consulting the FMCA Road Atlas before each dayโ€™s drive.

The things I like best about the Garmin are 1) the larger 7-inch screen, 2) it has Bluetooth for hands-free cell phone usage if I get an incoming call while driving, and 3) I can download GPS coordinates from RV Trip Wizard that leads me precisely to the entrance of each campground. Street addresses are sometimes very unreliable in my experience with GPS.

Around home in the high mountains of WV, all GPSโ€™s can be very unreliable as they donโ€™t seem to understand mountains and may lead one over roads that are impassible to most motor vehicles. Better to use a map and some judgment, or simply ask a local for the best route.

Wayne
Wayne
Hillsboro, WV
1997 Safari Sahara 3540

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
Tom & Carol

az99
Explorer
Explorer
blownstang01 wrote:
Thanks, looks like I'll save my money and just use the "car" one I have.
Smart move. There are too many better options than an overpriced GPS unit that has RV on it. There are 100's of posts of it's inaccuracy on here.

The few low bridges I have seen were were not on the GPS and were well marked far in advance to take an alternate.

Of the new options, I like Waze. It is not RV specific but is great for very up to date road reports. Slow downs, hazards on road,broken down vehicles on shoulder etc. The GPS part of it seems as good as anything else.
Gives the copilot something to do so she can more accurately tell you what you are doing wrong. ๐Ÿ™‚

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
I look at it this way. Anything I can do to simplify all the things I have to do to prepare the rig for a trip is well worth the investment. I like to make everything as easy as possible.

Any task that I need to do, I try to eliminate any hiccups that add time and effort to completion of that task. The GPS is not completely necessary, but it does (usually) simplify the task of navigating complex roads.

Tried Co-Pilot, but found it very buggy. Had Garmin for a long time, but there were issues with it, that added hiccups to the task of planning a trip and altering the route. So I recently got the TomTom Trucker 620. For me, it simplified route planning and route alterations. Very intuitive operation. It is another expense, but like I said, I like to make everything as easy as possible.

Like any change, there was a small learning curve, but once past that hurdle, I am very happy with the gps. I also use a Rand McNally trucker atlas that I use to verify routes are RV friendly.
Tom & Carol

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, looks like I'll save my money and just use the "car" one I have.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
No smart phone? CoPilot has an RV setting.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I've been all over the US also, and I have come across bridges that I wouldn't want to have tried to go under with a trailer. Luckily I was on a motorcycle when it has happened. I've not come across any while towing, but I know they are out there. Paraphrasing Mulder "The low bridges are out there". ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've been all over the US and have yet to come across a bridge too low for passage. I use Google Maps in my phone to plan trips. I also use a hard copy of the Motor Carrier's Atlas (available at truck stops) that shows routes approved for 18 wheelers. Much cheaper way to go than an RV specific GPS.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We are almost 13 feet tall too. We have the Garmin dezl 760LMT as well. It's not fool proof. We usually do our research before going on our trip by using the Rand McNally Truckers Atlas that shows what highways are safe for Tractor Trailer's (Safe for a tractor trailer, Safe for an RV). Then we map our trip online using google maps, and finally we do the trip planner option within the Garmin using the roads Google Maps has made for us. This method hasn't failed us yet. We also just recently bought RV Trip Wizard so we now can also find campgrounds and fueling locations easily.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a normal auto GPS and have several files loaded that alert me to low bridges, and other things of interest. It works pretty well, and I don't have any problems with it not wanting to route me over non-truck roads.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Garmin dezl 760LMT which has the option for RV routing and places to insert length, height, etc.
I have never made a definitive study of whether the RV option will keep me out of trouble for low bridges, etc.
It does seem to route more on major highways rather than taking State roads.
One does have to pay attention, however, with the suggested routing and not blindly follow the GPS route. A map preview of the days travels is a good thing.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Your search on here probably got it mostly covered. We have this discussion more than driving with the propane on.

GPS in heading in tech
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman