cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

reupholster or buy new captain chairs is the question

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
ok guy please give me your advice on this i have a 2008 class a four winds hurricane and the captain chairs need to be replaced or reupholster. which would you do???

pete
18 REPLIES 18

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
just got the chairs back and they looked great. way cheaper to reupholster 375 a chair. thanks for all the feedback

pete

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I re-upholstered both captain's chairs, the recliner, and the sofa in our 2012 Georgetown about a year ago. It came with very cheap 'fake' leather. Both captains chairs, recliner, and the sofa started peeling and looked horrible after just 2 years. Looks much better now, and is much better material (leather).

I seem to recall it costing around $400 a chair, another $450 for the sofa, and a few hundred more for the recliner. Was expensive, but still a good bit cheaper than replacing them. And, as already said, with this approach we could chose the material, and now everything has muuuuuuch nicer material and will last a long time.

Re-upholstering is definitely the way to go, unless the chairs are really, really old and/or have other issues besides just the material. Trick is finding a good upholstery shop that will do a good job for you and knows what they are doing.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dons2346 wrote:
I was looking to have my seats reupholstered. When the guy found out that the seat belt came through the back of the chair, I was told it was cheaper to buy new chairs. Not believing one, I went to two more shops and was told the same thing

My seats had the integral seat belts and the upholsterer had no problem with them other than it took a little longer. The integral seat belts run through the upper part of the seat but they are ultimately fastened to the lower seat frame/base. It just had to be disconnected, recovered, and put back together just like the original manufacturer built them.
I would guess that you ran in to some upholsters that didn't want to learn something new.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking to have my seats reupholstered. When the guy found out that the seat belt came through the back of the chair, I was told it was cheaper to buy new chairs. Not believing one, I went to two more shops and was told the same thing

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
The pleather comes in several qualities. What goes in most of the coaches is a "lesser" quality. . . it's whatever the manufacturer requests. When we had ours reupholstered, we chose a higher quality product.

And the cost was basically the cost of ONE new chair. We had both redone. And buying new doesn't guarantee you will get a better quality fabric.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can get real leather instead of that cheap faux stuff that comes with new ones.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
i just hired a guy who will do it for 375 a chair. hope all turns out good

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
With an upholsterer you can get REAL leather and the foam cushioning of your choice.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI, I had my dinette reupholstered last year. It was originally fabric and I was going to get it done in ultra leather. The shop told me that ultra leather is a very nice, soft leather like material, BUT it does not last. I ended up getting another vinyl product for about 1/3 the price that they said would lake much longer.

I think ultra leather is hit and miss. I had an 07' diesel pusher and the captains chairs material was flaking but my current 03' they are holding up fine.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, a reupholster job will cost as much or more than new chairs. Do you research, check new vs reupholster, and go from there.
2014 American Eagle

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We had our captain's chairs reupholstered a couple years ago by a woman in Shipshewana, Indiana. We purchased a better quality fabric that the original and the total cost was about the cost of one new chair.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 Hurricane in the driveway. Replace the seats unless you can find a reupholster who will recover for the same or less cost of replacing. I replaced considering what I wanted in the way of a finished product would have cost more. Basically the only thing that would have been reused from the originals would have been the frames.

The seats are a Flexsteel production overrun for the 2016 Jayco Seneca models. Was a bit more than I had hoped to spend but much more comfortable than the original and look better also. Replaced the loveseat at the same time.

Sold the originals on Craig's List in a day to a gentleman who was reworking a early 1990's coach. No takers on the love seat.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
I had my Flexsteel seats reupholstered last year, The upholsterer did them in the original Ultra leather, They turned out better than when they were new. Put additional foam where it was required.

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure to replace the butt cushions!
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's