cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows to Chromebook Conversion

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My Chromebook outperforms my Windows 10 laptop. Both have similar specs. Is it feasible/practical to make the conversion? I don't think simply changing browsers will accomplish what I want.
17 REPLIES 17

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
My Windows 10 start up screen background is always one of many spectacular landscape photographs I've stored in a folder I installed on the desktop. While using the computer, they change at random every minute and one of them comes up as background whenever I start the computer.

My Windows desktop, I have a simple mind... ๐Ÿ™‚

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
That StartisBack looks like an interesting concept. However I entirely skipped Windows 7 and 8, so maybe don't understand the attractions of their ease of use features.

My Windows 10 start up screen background is always one of many spectacular landscape photographs I've stored in a folder I installed on the desktop. While using the computer, they change at random every minute and one of them comes up as background whenever I start the computer.

Superimposed on the desktop over whatever background photo is current at the moment is my unchanging cluster of customized desktop software or Internet access icons ... with the taskbar icons down below for additional software or apps or services that I've parked there primarily for instant finger tip access to system services and adjustments.

All of the above I've setup using Windows 10 customization capabilities. Other than the slide show background and the modern mobile device type apps that Windows 10 handles - both of which I don't think are possible with XP - my desktop closely resembles my opening XP computer's desktop design that I settled on years ago for my personal ease of use preferences.

I don't believe in using a cloud based device (which is really just my information stored on a server somewhere). Keeping information there presents just another opening for hackers to get at my stuff someway, someday ... plus it makes my Windows 10 laptop too dependent on Internet access ... which we don't always have in RV camping places. For instance I keep stored right in my laptop's SSD drive such things as detailed and current map software of North America almost as good as Google Earth, thousands of personal photographs (backed up elsewhere at home) going back for years, and a large music library. On RV trips I carry along a compact USB DVD player that I can plug into the laptop to play movies evenings - either on the 15 inch laptop screen or on an external screen in the RV - when we're not outside sitting around our propane firepit.

I did have to put in the time to get Windows 10 right where I want it. I guess my point is Windows 10 is ultra-flexible on how one might want to customize it and use as they prefer. There are a lot of capabilities inside Windows 10 that I don't care about ... and they can be gotten completely out of the way as much as I want.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Windows since it came out way, way, way back pre-Win95. My take is that Windows 10 is the best Windows yet and I am not a Microsoft fan and don't use any of their applications except for Windows. Microsoft is migrating from its original PC operating system function to a small part of Microsoft's cloud-based computing world goal. Its reason is simply to stay competitive in the face of Google, etc. If you don't like that, you can always choose another operating system for your PC/laptop.

Since Windows went to the PC/Tablet compromise user interface with Win 8 I have used StartIsBack to get rid of the new user interface. This is simple, easy to do and cheap. I always use a local account and do not use a Microsoft account for user accounts. Other than that, there is very little to do to keep Windows in check contrary to some of the comments on this thread.

As I have mentioned a couple of times before in these threads, I migrated one of my PCs to a Zorin OS Linux based operating system since I didn't need a couple of Windows base apps on it that I use on my other desktop and laptop. It was so easy and functional I may end up doing this for my other Windows systems. I also moved my wife to a Chromebook from a laptop with Windows and it is a much better solution for her.

I don't like Windows for a number of reasons but it is not because Win 10 is a bad platform. It's that my cloud-based PC is Google-based and Windows is becoming increasingly irrelevant to me.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Just went thru Creator Update on two computers. I have most all MS Internet traffic producers turned off to unclog our Mobley and make my wife's PC more like her beloved Win 7. No changes to anything I noticed after the upgrades.

I've been writing commercial software for over 35 years and I always said it's best to leave the QA to users, but I'm pretty MS didn't listen to me and still has actual QA. Although I seriously doubt there are many humans involved, mostly automated just like the rest of big software.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
My computer's screen DOES NOT change with each Window 10 update. I've turned off all invasion of privacy tools in both Windows 10 and Firefox - you don't have to accept that they be there and bothering you.

Regedit comes right up immediately when I type it in the magnifying glass search window.

I set Windows 10 updates to MY schedule ... or not at all if I wish.

My base start screen DOES NOT use any 3rd party software - the choice of it is right there in one of the menus.

I don't pay any attention to the Creator's Version changes - I just keep them off and use none of their features.

For example, my 15+ year old version of Photoshop (CS2) still works just fine under Windows 10.

My start screen looks like and works just like my other computer's start screen.

I've set up Outlook under Windows 10 to look just like Outlook Express did under XP.

With Windows 10 I can have it all - everything XP has/does - plus smart phone type apps, and touch screen if I want it (it can be turned OFF or ON), and rotate screen (it can be turned OFF or ON) if I want to set the laptop on it's side, etc., etc..

Once I turn MS unwantetd stuff OFF, it stays OFF with the next update.

I really don't understand or see the negatives you seem to be experiencing.

Try OS 11.X if you think Windows 10 is "bad". ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My comments below in RED

pnichols wrote:
Gdetrailer,

I don't understand or am so far not concerned with much of the Windows 10 & computer issues you mention above.

I configured my computer's (actually several different computers) desired basic desktop screen around 25 years ago starting with XP. I've maintained and slightly refined it down through the years with XP, Vista, and now Windows 10. My concept was to have the "window into my computer" be the same regardless of computer, and it's operating system, or it's operating system revision. To do this has taken some learning and persistence. I still have a desktop computer at home running XP and it's opening desktop screen look and feel is just about identical to the opening desktop screen's look and feel on my newest Dell SSD Windows 10 laptop that we take on RV trips.

While you can "sort of" make Win10 "LOOK" like XPs interface, you are fooling yourself.

Without third party tools like "Classic Start" (which is no longer being developed due to MS "refreshing" Win10 every 6 months which constantly breaks third party tools) you simply are not able to "bring back" 50% of the look and feel of XP interface..

Not to mention MS has completely removed many of the under the hood tools like "regedit" (registry editor), gpedit (Group Policy editor) in Win10 HOME AND PRO versions, leaving only Win10 "Enterprise" version (corporate IT) to only get those tools.

You ARE at the mercy of MS and their twisted ideas of what you can do, how you will do it and when you can do it.

Each time a new creators version gets down loaded to your PC there will be some of those custom settings you set that one day no longer exist or work and you will have to do all that work again..

MS time line is to refresh your OS twice a year..

The operating system tweaking and adjusting that I do is to remove or disable all bloatware, unwanted applications, and unwanted behaviors. Once this is done, what I've been left with down through the years is a faster responding system with superior graphics and more convenient housekeeping - such as automatic residual software cleanup, automatic memory defragmentation, automatic WEB site filtering, automatic memory protection, automatic email blocking, etc.. I've not experienced any crashes with Windows 10 the couple of years that I've been using it - but I am very careful with what applications and programs that I actively use and leave running in the background.

Sorry, all the removal you have done is nothing more than temporary at best and superficial, plenty of talk on tech forums about MS bloatware that persistently comes back from the dead. Even IT Professionals are often mystified with many of these "unwanted behaviors" as you call it..

MS DOES reinstall unwanted bloatware and Apps all the time, they do that every monthly update and especially so with the Creators updates. Sure, it will let you uninstall them after the fact, but it is the PRINCIPLE involved of sneaking the junk onto your PC, but hey, read the MS license agreement, you did do that, right?

As far as I've experienced up to this point, Windows 10 has been the best operating system for precise user control of all of it's aspects so as to be able to custom configure it.

You have drank too much MS koolaid and are kidding yourself, you have much less "user control" over 90% of the OS, you lost control of how and when you get automatic updates, you can't refuse bad updates, they get installed anyway, it simply will do that when ever and then the next bootup you might find yourself a doorstop. Once that happens you better hope you can access the last system backup to restore. MS fired ALL of their QA staff, so there is NOBODY actually testing these updates, ALL of the "testing" is done via YOU and you are not being paid to do that testing, but hey, you did get the OS for "free", right?

It wasn't "free", you paid for it via giving up all rights to your own data.. Was it worth it?

You completely lost control of ALL of your "privacy", MS is gathering more data about you than you will ever want to know, about the programs you run, how often, how long, what websites you visit and much more that MS has not admitted to. You cannot shut any of that off fully and what minimal control MS has graciously allowed you is nothing more than fluff.. If you really want to put some more data back into your control, you need once again another third party tool like "O&OShutup".

Sadly, your view of being OK with invasion of privacy, loss of REAL control of your PC is a really sad commentary of lack of caring exhibited in many of todays world view. MS has tossed you a couple of bones in exchange for your soul.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer,

I don't understand or am so far not concerned with much of the Windows 10 & computer issues you mention above.

I configured my computer's (actually several different computers) desired basic desktop screen around 25 years ago starting with XP. I've maintained and slightly refined it down through the years with XP, Vista, and now Windows 10. My concept was to have the "window into my computer" be the same regardless of computer, and it's operating system, or it's operating system revision. To do this has taken some learning and persistence. I still have a desktop computer at home running XP and it's opening desktop screen look and feel is just about identical to the opening desktop screen's look and feel on my newest Dell SSD Windows 10 laptop that we take on RV trips.

The operating system tweaking and adjusting that I do is to remove or disable all bloatware, unwanted applications, and unwanted behaviors. Once this is done, what I've been left with down through the years is a faster responding system with superior graphics and more convenient housekeeping - such as automatic residual software cleanup, automatic memory defragmentation, automatic WEB site filtering, automatic memory protection, automatic email blocking, etc.. I've not experienced any crashes with Windows 10 the couple of years that I've been using it - but I am very careful with what applications and programs that I actively use and leave running in the background.

As far as I've experienced up to this point, Windows 10 has been the best operating system for precise user control of all of it's aspects so as to be able to custom configure it.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
My Windows 10 laptop boots up very fast, operates very fast, and performs just the way I want it to ... but it does this because:

1. It has solid state memory.

AND

2. Windows 10 is very adjustable ... and as such I'm able to tweak the daylights out of it so as to keep it fast and configured the way I prefer. One can't just set it and forget it and expect it to deliver the goods on it's own update after update.

I also take care of the DW's Apple iPad ... and IMHO Windows 10 is light years ahead of even the latest Apple 64 bit operating system. That Apple operating system is way over the top exasperating to keep adjusted and performing just the way she prefers.

I've lived with Windows operating systems for around 30 years (starting with a PCjr) and, so far, a solid state memory computer with user-tweaked Windows 10 and a recent Intel processor can finally be what a powerful but easy to use home computer should be.

#1 while SSD drives are "fast" they DO have some rather interesting "characteristics" (some now days would call "features") that can include the drive to totally drop dead with NO WARNING and with no hope of data recovery.

Backup your system and do it OFTEN, you never know when a SSD will become unresponsive so good backups ARE critical. External spinning rust drives and some sort of imaging software can save your bacon.

#2 Only SOME "features" of Win10 are "adjustable", most are not through Win10 interface, that is where "third party Apps" can become handy but for the most part you are stuck with what MS decide they think you need or want.

Many things that used to be "easy" to do, now takes a great deal of work to do, things like making a simple shortcut to the desktop takes a act of god to make..

Try making a shortcut from the "metro" screen to the desktop, I haven't found a way to do that directly.. Instead I have found that it is easier to dig through the hard drive folders and find the exe file then copy it and paste that to the desktop..

But hey, YOUR definition of "better" or "best" OS is vastly different
from my idea of better or best..

I don't like the "metro" screen forced on PC users from Win8 and Win10 not to mention try dealing with Win2012 or higher server.. I don't work alphabetically to find my programs, I put all of my most needed software right on the desktop. Much faster than starting with A and you need Z at the twentieth screen swipe.

Your "tweaks and adjustments" are only good for 6 months at a time, MS totally "refreshes" your OS with their "creators" updates.. Tends to wipe out your settings back to MS OEM and you get to see if you can make it work the way you had it..

Then you also agreed to let MS DUMP new "Apps" on to your PC at every update..

Then there is the funny little quirk of MS deciding if the software you have installed is "legit" which includes third party software that you paid good money for.. Yeah, if they decide it isn't "legit" by their standards, they make it VANISH..

They also can remove their own software, Apps, features at random anytime they decide they will no long "support" it.. Some of that software or Apps you just might be depending on someday may simply disappear into thin air on a simple reboot...

Other than that it is a "OK", not great OS..

For ease of tweaking and adjusting WITHOUT THE NEED FOR THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE you simply could not beat Win98SE/XP, Win7 started the down hill trail of removing user adjustments and "8" finished the dirty deed and "10" is a mere "5" (not "perfect")..

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Windows 10 laptop boots up very fast, operates very fast, and performs just the way I want it to ... but it does this because:

1. It has solid state memory.

AND

2. Windows 10 is very adjustable ... and as such I'm able to tweak the daylights out of it so as to keep it fast and configured the way I prefer. One can't just set it and forget it and expect it to deliver the goods on it's own update after update.

I also take care of the DW's Apple iPad ... and IMHO Windows 10 is light years ahead of even the latest Apple 64 bit operating system. That Apple operating system is way over the top exasperating to keep adjusted and performing just the way she prefers.

I've lived with Windows operating systems for around 30 years (starting with a PCjr) and, so far, a solid state memory computer with user-tweaked Windows 10 and a recent Intel processor can finally be what a powerful but easy to use home computer should be.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The only 'conversion' I can think of is using Chrome on your w10.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was never a mac fan.. Do not like Apple's Bribery and coercion sales policy (Explanation. They gave computers to Schools (Bribery) Free of charge, now Daddy has to buy an APPLE (Coercion) or JR. can't do his homework at home).

I am thinking of trying to install ShackBox on the little laptop in the ham shack. Yes. Linux distro.

But with Windows 10 you got to get into BIOS and do stuff or it won't load the OS.. Major PITA.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy,

Thanks for the info and link on Zorin OS. I'm downloading it now and will install it as a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro & check it out.

Since the IBM PCs came out way back into the 80's, I was a Microsoft fan. Then in 2005, I took a "bite" of the "Apple" and within 3 years, all of the machines in our house were Macs. Now, 13 years later, I swear Apple has been hiring Microsoft programmers with the effect of making OS X as kludgey as Windows. Heck, Windows might even be better, but Windows is only 10% of my overall computer experience now, and that's running as a VM on my Mac, so not sure I can make an accurate comparison.

So, now I'm entertaining new alternatives, and Zorin might but a good option.

Thanks,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
My new laptop running Windows 10 Home with a 500GB solid state drive boots up in 8 seconds. This is a cold boot, no sleep, no hibernate. It boots from sleep in one second.

The key word there may be "new". Mine performed like than when new also. Now it has really slowed down. The Chromebook flashes to life after twelve months of use.

My suspicion is that since the Windows laptop is seldom used, that the first few hours are bogged down while downloading updates.

Thanks to all for their comments.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
From opening box to browsing web in less time than the WIndows Machine needs to POST.
My new laptop running Windows 10 Home with a 500GB solid state drive boots up in 8 seconds. This is a cold boot, no sleep, no hibernate. It boots from sleep in one second.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN