cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep “Death Wobble”

fotodog
Explorer
Explorer
I want to share my experience towing a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, as it might help others avoid the problems I have encountered when towing. It’s known as the Jeep Death Wobble, which I’m sure some of you know about since it’s well documented on the internet. It also affects other model Jeeps including Wranglers, and some other vehicles with fixed front axles such as Fords.

I have towed my Cherokee for 3 years with no problems using a Ready Brake hitch, but had my first bad experience a month ago when braking moderately hard for a stop light at about 40 MPH. I suddenly felt the entire coach rocking back and forth. I pulled over, made a full inspection, but couldn’t find anything that looked out of place. I slowly went to my RV mechanic, and after trying to duplicate the problem with multiple test drives with and without the Jeep, we couldn’t find any problems. We both concluded that the surge brake system might have temporarily stuck, since I haven’t driven my RV much over the last year.

2 weeks ago I started a trip to Arizona, and while traveling at 65 MPH hit a bad bump on the freeway. Once again the coach started shaking violently. I had to pull over, and noticed in my rear view camera that the Jeep was swerving back and forth. Once I started up again, everything was normal, and I slowly proceeded to my next stop.

I was on the phone the next morning, and to make a long story short, eventually found out about this condition. For towing, it specifically affects 2014 - 2016 Cherokee’s, but from what I’ve read was corrected on some later 2016 models. Jeep has issued a fix, which is a wiring harness which provides power to the steering system while towing to compensate for the wobble. There is a switch installed inside the center console which much be activated when towing, and a 10 amp inline mini fuse under the hood which also must be installed. Both of these must be deactivated when not towing, in the proper sequence.

I had the harness installed in Arizona, and everything worked well on the return trip. The downside is that your Jeep batttery can be drained after several hours, so I’ll have the wiring installed to provide a charge while towing.

I love this Cherokee otherwise, it’s one of my all time favorite vehicles. Just be aware of this problem if you own one, as the results can be dangerous.
Tim, my wife Li, and Snickers and Ziggy the Wonder Kitties

2008 Tiffen Allegro 30DA, Workhorse W22 Chassis, Allison 6 speed, Chevy 8.1L V8
2015 Jeep Cherokee with Blue Ox baseplate & ReadyBrake system

http://www.timandrews.com/ My photography web site
16 REPLIES 16

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I was behind a coach towing a Cherokee that had just passed me. We hit a construction area that had a rough temporary patched area and the Cherokee started shaking back and forth right in front of me. I can see why it is called the death wobble. The front wheels were violently turning back and forth to the extent that I thought the front tires might roll off the rims. They did not, the coach stopped on the interstate then started again with no problem. Shook so badly I cannot believe something didn’t break, but it didn’t.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
So how much was the harness and also the install?

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I tow it as is. It is a 2016 and actually tows real well behind the MH.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

C_and_D_Tabby
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
I have a Wrangler and a Cherokee, both have no issues as a TOAD. Cherokee is much nicer to tow and it is a 2016 with zero death wobble.

I am not sure why it is important to show you booty and try and explain what "death wobble" is to everyone. The original (if such a thing) is an issue that stemmed from lifting Broncos, Jeeps, and trucks long, long time ago. The large tires provide a large amount of torque on the front suspension with anything that causes a tire to spin funny can create the wobble. The issue on the Cherokee has nothing to with death wobble. It is the lack of steer behind the motorhome and causes a hop as it goes back and forth. Death wobble on the lifted vehicles can actually be controlled with a stabilizer until it is too severe. Tire balance and/or worn components equals death wobble. It is a different think on the Cherokee, but who cares. I am glad Jeep/MOPAR decided to address it.

WW

Did you have the flat tow harness installed on the Cherokee or do you tow it as is?

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Wrangler and a Cherokee, both have no issues as a TOAD. Cherokee is much nicer to tow and it is a 2016 with zero death wobble.

I am not sure why it is important to show you booty and try and explain what "death wobble" is to everyone. The original (if such a thing) is an issue that stemmed from lifting Broncos, Jeeps, and trucks long, long time ago. The large tires provide a large amount of torque on the front suspension with anything that causes a tire to spin funny can create the wobble. The issue on the Cherokee has nothing to with death wobble. It is the lack of steer behind the motorhome and causes a hop as it goes back and forth. Death wobble on the lifted vehicles can actually be controlled with a stabilizer until it is too severe. Tire balance and/or worn components equals death wobble. It is a different think on the Cherokee, but who cares. I am glad Jeep/MOPAR decided to address it.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 Ford F-250 did the death wobble thing once about four or five years ago and never did it again.:?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Death wobble has a couple different ways that it starts. the usual way is from a bad alignment (toe). another way is from loose/worn suspension components. and with the little Cherokee it was inadvertently built in and only shows up when towed behind a MH with the tow bar at an angle, which as I said slightly unloads the front axle which can start the wobble on the right section of roadway.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
The death wobble has been around forever. Back in the 80's Chrysler's own engineers could not figure it out, and they even hired an outside engineering team to come in to assist with mixed results at that time. Something about when the natural frequencies of vibration from the road match the chassis's natural frequency it starts up. I remember it well with my 89 Cherokee.(rest in piece it got totaled).
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yes it is a problem that was addressed. One question, is your tow bar level or at an angle? it needs to be dead level with the Jeeps. otherwise if its at an angle it will slightly unload the front wheels causing the wobble.

Well,
That's not exactly true. We've owned, modified, off roaded, and towed 9 different style/year Jeep Wranglers over a 35+ year period and not one of them has ever had the tow bar "dead level" and, in all that 35+ year period, we've NEVER experienced the death wobble. And, the same goes for many of our Jeepin' buddies. They too have had all kinds of Jeeps and some with level and some without level tow bars and not one of them has ever had the death wobble.

On our trips, we see many, many folks towing Jeeps and a very large percentage of them do not have a dead level tow bar. Some are UP and some are DOWN in angle from the Jeep to the coach. While it is optimum to have dead level one, even the tow bar manufacturers say you can have as much as 2" up or town for towing.

The death wobble has multiple causes. And as the OP has found out, it's not an exact science. It happens then, it doesn't, with seemingly the same type of circumstances.
Scott

I was talking about the newer Cherokee`s. the Wranglers are more forgiving. but with the Cherokee you definitely want the bar level. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term "dead level", but it should be close to level.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Yes it is a problem that was addressed. One question, is your tow bar level or at an angle? it needs to be dead level with the Jeeps. otherwise if its at an angle it will slightly unload the front wheels causing the wobble.

Well,
That's not exactly true. We've owned, modified, off roaded, and towed 9 different style/year Jeep Wranglers over a 35+ year period and not one of them has ever had the tow bar "dead level" and, in all that 35+ year period, we've NEVER experienced the death wobble. And, the same goes for many of our Jeepin' buddies. They too have had all kinds of Jeeps and some with level and some without level tow bars and not one of them has ever had the death wobble.

On our trips, we see many, many folks towing Jeeps and a very large percentage of them do not have a dead level tow bar. Some are UP and some are DOWN in angle from the Jeep to the coach. While it is optimum to have dead level one, even the tow bar manufacturers say you can have as much as 2" up or town for towing.

The death wobble has multiple causes. And as the OP has found out, it's not an exact science. It happens then, it doesn't, with seemingly the same type of circumstances.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
OP, thanks for sharing, I wonder if the Wranglers would also experience this, or do they not have electric PS yet?
Wranglers have their own version of Death Wobble with or without electric PS and since it happens when you are driving it I would expect it can happen towing. (And once it happens to you while you are driving you will know why it's called the Death Wobble 🙂 ).

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
This is old news many items posted on this - the fix is also well known - to not have known this is unreal

This is the first I'd read about death wobble on a toad. I guess at the ripe old age of 37 I'm completely out of touch with all you youngsters and your fancy internet knowledge.

OP, thanks for sharing, I wonder if the Wranglers would also experience this, or do they not have electric PS yet?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rr2254545 wrote:
This is old news many items posted on this - the fix is also well known - to not have known this is unreal

Man I wish I was as smart as you......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
This is old news many items posted on this
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks