Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Winnobago horror in the hiding spots . wires.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Winnobago horror in the hiding spots . wires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Itasca55

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/18 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have any 90s winnobago you really need to take the time and look in cabinet behind the power125v and 12v contol panel
I was looking at wiring for furnace and spotted 2 125v wires pinched super tight against the steel of control panel back and the 1/2 plywood that holds the furnance. I was horrified. I need to un screw the main panel to slide it out a bit and check wires and make clearance for the 2 wires . Huge job . It's all original in there straight from the factory in 1992. Has others spotted stuff like this ? I have pictures of it there in there dam tight to point the 1/2 plywoods flexing . How I know it's original is neather the control panel or furnance wasnever beenremoved. It's a model 27RC rear bath. It's hard to see I stuck cellphone cam up there and snapped picture to make it out.

Itasca55

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an RV, things like that are normal. Tanks falling out on the highway or even while people are sleeping, water lines blowing apart, wire connections falling apart and on and on are all normal.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do much reading on the forum, you will realize quality is not Job #1 in the RV industry.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/18 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seeing as it's been that way for 26 years now, I'm thinking it probably looks worse than it is.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heard weird sparking/shorting noises over my head in an over dinette cabinet where my electric CB panel was in my '94 Bounder one day in 2014. After the smoke cleared, I discovered that the idiots at the factory must have run out of the correct sized wire nuts when they wired it all up and they decided it would be ok to use a handful of wire nuts that were too small. Two of them had eventually bounced off the twisted wires over the years and a 'hot' wire had eventually shorted to the metal case. Causing an arc fed fire...whoa. Lucky I was right there at the time and have some electrical skills so after several hours of repair work and wire dressing, all was well. Better than new actually.

In my current '02 Journey, was under the dash yesterday and boy, what a freakin' wiring mess. Not looking forward to having to 'dress' the wiring under there. Probably won't ever get to it.

So far though, all the AC wiring I've inspected in this rig has looked pretty nice. Competently done.

Thanks for the warning though. Never hurts to inspect.

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

TNGW1500SE

Oliver Springs TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's not a trailer/RV out there that I'd consider "built well" unless you get up above a half million. The manufactures all skimp on quality and throw them together. They want less weight so everyone can tow it and lower costs to increase profits. You end up buying a Styrofoam cooler on wheels with a few sticks here and there supporting it in the showroom. Watch this video and keep in mind this is what the manufacturer posts on YouTube to show people how they build RV's. I think they must add amphetamines to the employees coffee or beat them.

Jayco Build

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TNGW1500SE wrote:

There's not a trailer/RV out there that I'd consider "built well" unless you get up above a half million. The manufactures all skimp on quality and throw them together. They want less weight so everyone can tow it and lower costs to increase profits. You end up buying a Styrofoam cooler on wheels with a few sticks here and there supporting it in the showroom. Watch this video and keep in mind this is what the manufacturer posts on YouTube to show people how they build RV's. I think they must add amphetamines to the employees coffee or beat them.

Jayco Build

So your advise is, unless you have 1/2 million to spend, find something else to do other than RVing?

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately this sort nonsense is very common in the RV business. This is true even in new RVs. It’s sad. I have spent so much time and money correcting the factory mistakes including spending hours underneath the rigs I have owned over the years. This includes incorrect wire sizes, faulty plumbing, poorly designed and installed cabinets, water leaks improperly sealed storage bays, stuff improperly secured, wiring and ducting way too long and or undersized for the location and application and on and on. This isn’t to count the amount of construction debris in cabinets, behind walls, under slides etc. The RV manufacturers seem to focus only on what can be immediately seen rather than doing a quality job.

* This post was edited 06/29/18 10:34am by msturtz *

FMCA member

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hint that might help. Any wire you disconnect, tape some string or something on it before you cut or disconnect it. When re-wiring a breaklight I cut the wire and spring tension in the wire re-coiled the wire back inside in between closet and outer skin. I tried everything I could think of to fish the wire out. I had to disassemble my closet and drawers below closet just to get the wire back. Five min job ended up taking 3 days.

* This post was edited 06/29/18 11:45am by path1 *

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, the good ol days when only wiring was an issue, then the industry moved on to Schwintek and Lippert and................

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Winnobago horror in the hiding spots . wires.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS