cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1989 Class A,,,question on value :)

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we have been looking for a used unit to see IF we will like the RV life..local dealer has a 1989 Winne class A 22k miles very solid and nice condition...
He said they are asking just under 15k....im thinking this is way overpriced even if it is mint...but I really don know...its a gas engine
Is this even worth considering or am I gonna be Eddie from Christmas Vacation 🙂
Or should this thing be junked !
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
31 REPLIES 31

map40
Explorer
Explorer
time_to_go_now wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
How did this go from an 89 Winnie
To one year old rentals ?

They may sell some rentals off every year, and buy more replacements for next season, but not one year old, they would be taking a loss on each unit
Can't stay in business that way

They don't take a loss on each unit. My buddy was the service Manager at El Monte RV. One of the largest rental places here in So CA. They have huge buying power with Fleetwood. They can sell a one year old unit with 40-50,000 miles on it for more than they paid Fleetwood to buy the unit brand new.

That is the business. Buy the unit at a low price. Rent it and make $20-30k on the rental income. Then sell it off 12-15 months later for more than you paid for it. and then buy a new rig for less than you got for the old rig. They will keep the rig longer. But only if it is super clean and low miles.

Oh...and $15k is way too much for that class C.

Good luck.

Yes, the buy in quantities early lots (1 year ahead of model year), so then they sell at original cost or better
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

They may sell some rentals off every year, and buy more replacements for next season, but not one year old, they would be taking a loss on each unit

They don't take a loss on each unit. My buddy was the service Manager at El Monte RV. One of the largest rental places here in So CA. They have huge buying power with Fleetwood. They can sell a one year old unit with 40-50,000 miles on it for more than they paid Fleetwood to buy the unit brand new.

That is the business. Buy the unit at a low price. Rent it and make $20-30k on the rental income. Then sell it off 12-15 months later for more than you paid for it. and then buy a new rig for less than you got for the old rig. They will keep the rig longer. But only if it is super clean and low miles.

Oh...and $15k is way too much for that class C.

Good luck.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Another data point for you. A 1999 V10 with 45K miles Seabreeze with 1 slideout in good condition just sold for 17K (a co-worker)
Alfa SeeYa

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:

I gave a single piece of advice to a fellow RVer so he could compare prices. From that you took off. I'm sorry to see you have nothing better to do then question things beyond your understanding, look at simple advice or basic technology that has been around for decades. Be happy being an ass and enjoy the links that don't exist.

Actually your first post on this thread was a punch my way by quoting me and discounting what I said. Prior to that, you offered nothing, you didn't even post.

Well I did enjoy keeping your heart rate up, and after scraping all the poo off the top I did get to squeeze a little bit of technical backing from you (very little) and I'm still not seeing that link to a $10 sensor (these are more like $1,000 sensors). Whatever you do for a living, I want to reassure you - I don't care. In summary, rentals are "typically" rode hard and put away wet in my opinion and you've offered nothing to change my opinion.

To the OP, I apologize to contributing to this going sideways, but do keep both eyes wide open when looking at rentals, and know now the kind of people you may be dealing with.

You wanted an explanation, I gave it to you. You asked for the technical info, I explained. You asked for links, I gave them to you. Now you don't even believe that? Please don't rent RVs, we can certainly live happily without ever hearing from you. We are simple people that trust others at face value. We give advice on what we know, and don't question what is beyond our grasp.
OP, a 36 ft 2000 class A for 17K with 50K miles and in great working condition is a good data point for your comparison. Wish you luck in your search.
Alfa SeeYa

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:

I gave a single piece of advice to a fellow RVer so he could compare prices. From that you took off. I'm sorry to see you have nothing better to do then question things beyond your understanding, look at simple advice or basic technology that has been around for decades. Be happy being an ass and enjoy the links that don't exist.

Actually your first post on this thread was a punch my way by quoting me and discounting what I said. Prior to that, you offered nothing, you didn't even post.

Well I did enjoy keeping your heart rate up, and after scraping all the poo off the top I did get to squeeze a little bit of technical backing from you (very little) and I'm still not seeing that link to a $10 sensor (these are more like $1,000 sensors). Whatever you do for a living, I want to reassure you - I don't care. In summary, rentals are "typically" rode hard and put away wet in my opinion and you've offered nothing to change my opinion.

To the OP, I apologize to contributing to this going sideways, but do keep both eyes wide open when looking at rentals, and know now the kind of people you may be dealing with.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
It's at a Dealer, of course it's overpriced 🙂

Rentals can be rode hard and put away wet, and even the best maintenance program can't prevent that. Not saying they are all that way, but many are.

I have 7 rentals, some retired rentals, some bought brand new, none of them had any engine/trans problems. I have kept them up to 300K miles. Currently I have units raging from 50K to 170K miles, never an engine/trans problem. Good for you! I already stated "not all are that way, but many are" Perhaps yours are the exception.

The thought that rentals are rode hard and put away wet is a mith from the past. New motorhomes can take the use they give with no problems. Now that is "salesman talk" in full color! 🙂

By the way, we monitor EVERYTHING in the motorhome live, ebyond a little speeding, not much else... "Everything??" Perhaps there is a market for the videos of those live spring break parties 🙂 You know, the kind where 100 people off the beach use it for a bathroom, walking over the vomit, spilled beer, lovers and crushed cigarettes.

As far as your rig goes, yes, way overpriced. I have a 2000 National Dolphin with 2 slideouts, Banks power system, new washer/dryer, everything working, 50K miles, excellent condition, brand new 40 inch and 32 inch smart TVs, batteries 1 year old, 2013 tires, air suspension, 5500 generator, and a lot more. I am thinking to sell it for 17K, and the buyer can rent it before purchase, use it, check it out, and the cost of the rental can be deducted from the purchase price. That will give you an idea on the prices. You might have confused me with someone interested in buying a rental. I think that was the OP. I had one, a "U-Haul" and it was rode hard and put away wet, and I continued that abuse throughout my ownership back in my 20s. It was the party wagon

And just in case, I do know EVERYTHING. Lateral G forces, throttle position, tank levels, genny load/usage, toilet flushes, tank levels, even if the fridge door is left open.
Do you really get your renters to believe all this BS? 🙂 Do you throw "toilet flushes" back at them to keep the deposit?

You would be surprised how many things happen all over the world that people who believe they are smart think are BS. But then again, how would you know, you surely think you are smart enough to know better...
Instead of flapping your jowls like a frustrated plaid suit salesman, throw us a bone. Tell us exactly how you live monitor toilet flushes on your rented RVs. You may make me a "believer" - who knows.

I don't flap my jowls, you are the one with the derogatory ignorant remarks. A simple flow meter on the pipe feeding the toilet will do the job. Why? If it measures a long flush, alarm goes off, alerting the user that the toilet valve is not completely closed, leaking into the black tank. $10 on ebay. You want to monitor remotelly? Get the smart one, $15. It saved my units from flooding several times.
Once your rig is on-line 24/7, everything is possible. Smart timer in the fridge light tells me of an unintentional open fridge. After 15 seconds starts to sound, just like the fridge in your house, alerting the renter. Another $18 well spent.
Now that you have hijacked this thread with your incredible inability to grasp things that are well beyond your comprehension, let me get it back on point. I will simplify so even you can understand:
RV overpriced. Compare price to the one I gave. Draw conclusions. Find another one or pay less.

By the way, how did you get to be a "mile high"? I would say smoking and snorting... Do yourself a favor and let it go. It is sad to see you grab whatever small piece of text to make a case of an argument that is by definition non-existent and of no value to the OP
Hmmm, I'm not finding that $10 flow alarm. Perhaps you could post a link, even for the $15 wifi one. I'll belay any response to your comments to see if you can produce a link, as you have perked my interest in the technical side - the rest of the conversation went to the trash can a few volleys back.

I told you it was sad to see you clinging to a stupid persuit, but here it goes. Maybe you will learn something if you correct your craneal-anal inversion. Here are the links I have handy on my tablet:
https://www.sensirion.com/en/flow-sensors/liquid-flow-meters/slx-standalone-liquid-flow-meters/compact-liquid-flow-sensor-for-industrial-applications/
This is the same sensor I use, but newer. I buy them used and hook them up to a BT adapter connected to an LG tablet that runs the rig.
For your fridge, https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-Delay-Relays/p_804415.h_804416.r_IF1003?mkwid=s4u6UKfnC&crid=38094426869&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpvzZBRCbARIsACe8vyISCpq6zjrF-ZqiarOGAYlfRfqUE1Z9G97jzQG8_V9GesYSqMK1W6MaAtS2EALw_wcB
Set it to 15 seconds, add a BT buzzer also connected to the LG tablet.
By the way, you keep calling me salesman. That I'm not, as I'm yet to sell an RV. All the ones that left the fleet was because the renters came back and offered enough money.
Alfa SeeYa

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
ya, I didn't think you could produce one. Typical salesman, and a nasty one at that. Do people have to call the police to get off your lot?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Rentals can be rode hard and put away wet, and even the best maintenance program can't prevent that. Not saying they are all that way, but many are.

I have 7 rentals, some retired rentals, some bought brand new, none of them had any engine/trans problems. I have kept them up to 300K miles. Currently I have units raging from 50K to 170K miles, never an engine/trans problem. Good for you! I already stated "not all are that way, but many are" Perhaps yours are the exception.

The thought that rentals are rode hard and put away wet is a mith from the past. New motorhomes can take the use they give with no problems. Now that is "salesman talk" in full color! 🙂

By the way, we monitor EVERYTHING in the motorhome live, ebyond a little speeding, not much else... "Everything??" Perhaps there is a market for the videos of those live spring break parties 🙂 You know, the kind where 100 people off the beach use it for a bathroom, walking over the vomit, spilled beer, lovers and crushed cigarettes.

As far as your rig goes, yes, way overpriced. I have a 2000 National Dolphin with 2 slideouts, Banks power system, new washer/dryer, everything working, 50K miles, excellent condition, brand new 40 inch and 32 inch smart TVs, batteries 1 year old, 2013 tires, air suspension, 5500 generator, and a lot more. I am thinking to sell it for 17K, and the buyer can rent it before purchase, use it, check it out, and the cost of the rental can be deducted from the purchase price. That will give you an idea on the prices. You might have confused me with someone interested in buying a rental. I think that was the OP. I had one, a "U-Haul" and it was rode hard and put away wet, and I continued that abuse throughout my ownership back in my 20s. It was the party wagon

And just in case, I do know EVERYTHING. Lateral G forces, throttle position, tank levels, genny load/usage, toilet flushes, tank levels, even if the fridge door is left open.
Do you really get your renters to believe all this BS? 🙂 Do you throw "toilet flushes" back at them to keep the deposit?

You would be surprised how many things happen all over the world that people who believe they are smart think are BS. But then again, how would you know, you surely think you are smart enough to know better...
Instead of flapping your jowls like a frustrated plaid suit salesman, throw us a bone. Tell us exactly how you live monitor toilet flushes on your rented RVs. You may make me a "believer" - who knows.

I don't flap my jowls, you are the one with the derogatory ignorant remarks. A simple flow meter on the pipe feeding the toilet will do the job. Why? If it measures a long flush, alarm goes off, alerting the user that the toilet valve is not completely closed, leaking into the black tank. $10 on ebay. You want to monitor remotelly? Get the smart one, $15. It saved my units from flooding several times.
Once your rig is on-line 24/7, everything is possible. Smart timer in the fridge light tells me of an unintentional open fridge. After 15 seconds starts to sound, just like the fridge in your house, alerting the renter. Another $18 well spent.
Now that you have hijacked this thread with your incredible inability to grasp things that are well beyond your comprehension, let me get it back on point. I will simplify so even you can understand:
RV overpriced. Compare price to the one I gave. Draw conclusions. Find another one or pay less.

By the way, how did you get to be a "mile high"? I would say smoking and snorting... Do yourself a favor and let it go. It is sad to see you grab whatever small piece of text to make a case of an argument that is by definition non-existent and of no value to the OP
Hmmm, I'm not finding that $10 flow alarm. Perhaps you could post a link, even for the $15 wifi one. I'll belay any response to your comments to see if you can produce a link, as you have perked my interest in the technical side - the rest of the conversation went to the trash can a few volleys back.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Alfa SeeYa

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Alfa SeeYa

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

map40
Explorer
Explorer
DRTDEVL wrote:
luberhill wrote:
MrWizard wrote:

Well there are TWO dealers near me that DO sell their ONE year old rentals EVERY year...I know because I have a friend that bought one and I just talked to the one dealer yesterday that said he will have a Sunseeker 1 yr old rental to sell in September...they have been in business 45 yrs....

Ad this went from the 8 to a one yr old because THIS is at the same dealer,,,it was just a question

One year old, as in selling 2017s right now?

I bet they are closer to two years old...

Yes, they are. Big rentals get RVs over 1 year ahead. For example, on March 2018 a big rental company can get a 2019 RV, selling it on 2020 as a 1 year old unit, while was used for 2 years as a rental.
Alfa SeeYa

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
map40 wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Ignorance sometimes is a bliss. In your case, is a way of life.
I was giving a frame of refference, not a sales pitch. An 11 years newer RV, with the possibility of drivetesting it for several days and taking it to your mechanic, with much better equipment only used as a backup rental for a couple of years is a great refference point.
One day, my friend, you will realize that some poeple could know better than you. Or like in this case, DO know better than you.
By the way, save you red bolded pointless comments, they don't help anybody, specially you.
Alfa SeeYa