cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to go

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to go south for a couple of months this winter and looking for a destination. Places I really don't want to go are Florida Texas, and Arizona, just personal preferences. Looking along the Gulf Coast and would consider the Florida panhandle. Thoughts and suggestions, we are new to extended stay camping, travel with a 31' 5th wheel. Thank you
16 REPLIES 16

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of areas farther South that aren't super busy. We're in Sebring and yes it a busy area, but you can find CGs a little farther South where you'll have to drive 25 miles to get a loaf of bread.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
legsnred wrote:
What are you looking for in your trip south? Warm weather or just warmer than the snowy north. You have to decide how warm you want to be and go to your ideal temp. The warmer you want the more crowd that will be there.

Well said. Iโ€™m particularly fond of fall weather at home in PA. What I find during the winter along the I-10 corridor from East TX to AL is pretty close. If I wanted summer-like temperatures Iโ€™d definitely head farther south.
Larry

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
pcaffrey wrote:
Looking to go south for a couple of months this winter and looking for a destination. Places I really don't want to go are Florida Texas, and Arizona, just personal preferences. Looking along the Gulf Coast and would consider the Florida panhandle. Thoughts and suggestions, we are new to extended stay camping, travel with a 31' 5th wheel. Thank you

Don't know about your "personal preferences" but they cover a lot of ground. Elevation, isolation, things to do, medical, entertainment. . .there are too many variables to make a helpful response to the question.
Could you narrow it to a few specifics?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

legsnred
Explorer
Explorer
What are you looking for in your trip south? Warm weather or just warmer than the snowy north. You have to decide how warm you want to be and go to your ideal temp. The warmer you want the more crowd that will be there.
:,)2003 F-350 4X4 PSD 2006 Everest 344J

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
When I asked the same question of the old timers fifteen years ago, I was told, "You might as well stay in Illinois if you are not going to South Florida, South Texas, or South Arizona.". I agree. Two more days driving will really improve your Winter weather prospects.

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
All good info from everyone here and I especially like the idea of exploring various areas to find what we like. Thank you

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Skipping my stops in states youโ€™re not interested in, I usually spend a couple months at Buccaneer State Park in Waveland, MS and a couple at Magnolia Branch Wildlife Reserve in Atmore, AL. You wonโ€™t encounter any blizzards but occasional chilly weather and even a below freezing night or two is likely.
Larry

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
pcaffrey wrote:
I could be wrong but I don't understand how I would be limiting myself, looking at maps it appears the Gulf Coast extends from Florida to Texas. Quite a distance. The three locations I mentioned it seems that everyone heads to those areas which seems to cause a lot of congestion and from reading on this and other sites a camp site would be hard to come by. Texas would be a possibility.

I don't know what you mean by congestion and sites hard to come by in the major three states for winter. It just depends on what kind of park you're looking for. There are always openings in the 'not so popular' parks. The southern part of Florida is the warmest and will be more crowded. South Texas can be done as can the Tucson, Phoenix, Yuma areas of Arizona, including the outskirts. Every park doesn't fill and you don't have to make reservations years in advance.

If this is your first time wintering then I'd recommend picking a few places and different areas in each state - even using state parks for a week or two or Corp of Engineer parks so you can get a feel for the different areas of each state. Plopping yourself down for a couple months in a place you've never been isn't the way to go. You could be very disappointed in the park or the area but then you're stuck.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The areas you mentioned - the coastline can get cold during the winter. Spent 3 winters and part of a 4th on the coast in MS. Not near of bad as up north and usually no snow, but had an ice storm at the MS coast one of the winters we were there. Or, it can be mild and nice. You never know.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not sure where you want to go exactly but I would suggest you book now. Most RV parks are already booked up January thru March of 2019.
We booked ours the beginning of May and were lucky to get one of the last 2 sites open.
2010 Suncruiser

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Our first winter of retirement, two years ago, we explored. We stayed anywhere to a week or two at any given area. Robertsdale, AL, Pass Christian, MS, Lafayette, LA, Willis, TX, Rockport, TX, Edinburg, TX, Mathis, TX and Glen Rose, TX. Of those locations, we chose to go back to Rockport, TX last winter. Unfortunately, that area was ground zero for hurricane Harvey, but as luck would have it, the park we had reservations with, had things cleaned up and ready for our arrival. We stayed four months, Dec-Mar and we are going back this winter. My only suggestion, decide what type of activities interest you and choose accordingly and the sooner the better, check availability for the dates you are looking for. Have fun.

pcaffrey
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong but I don't understand how I would be limiting myself, looking at maps it appears the Gulf Coast extends from Florida to Texas. Quite a distance. The three locations I mentioned it seems that everyone heads to those areas which seems to cause a lot of congestion and from reading on this and other sites a camp site would be hard to come by. Texas would be a possibility.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
You pretty much eliminated the 3 warmest locations. If you don't mind an occasional frost or frozen waterline there are options. The states you eliminated are large and have many options. What is it you don't like about them that we can help you avoid.
pawatt

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We're at Ho Hum in Carrabelle FL right now. Depending on what you like to do, this would be a nice place to winter. It's a no frills park right on the water, so fishing & relaxing are the order of the day...no activities. The area is a fishing area and not like central FL where we're from. Small towns/villages with major shopping 50 minutes to an hr. away.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking