cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well.

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy All,

I got tired of the Smart Car, taking up half the garage in my toy hauler, so I built a new truck that could haul the Smart Car, behind the sleeper. I thought my Freightliner was a good tow rig, this Pete, is wonderful.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob
2001 Peterbilt 379, towing 2014 Voltage 3818 Toy Hauler.
View my photo web page here, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/
71 REPLIES 71

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Mr. Cob wrote:
blofgren wrote:
That's a great looking truck; I love the older Pete's too.

What engine and transmission does it have?
The engine is a 6NZ C-15 550 horse power with 1850 lb pounds of torque, the transmission is an Eaton-Fuller 18 speed Auto-Shift, 3.55 axle ratio. It has what it needs to get the job done and then some, darn thing is going to get me into serious trouble one of these days with the law as I run up the mountain.:B

Dave

You say you like to row the gears and you got an Auto-Shift? I'm just yanking your chain a little, sounds like a great choice. I have some time in a 10 speed AutoShift and I'm amazed by the little tricks it employs to complete shifts that I wouldn't dare try in a full manual.
I do like having control, the Auto-Shift allows control when you want it and allows you to just kick back and let the Elves work when your feeling lazy the best of both worlds. The 18 speed has been a real pleasure to drive in the mountains so much better then the 10 speed that is in my Freightliner. We left the mountains of Colorado yesterday and are now cruising the flat lands of the midwest BORING but it is what it is.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Mr. Cob wrote:
blofgren wrote:
That's a great looking truck; I love the older Pete's too.

What engine and transmission does it have?
The engine is a 6NZ C-15 550 horse power with 1850 lb pounds of torque, the transmission is an Eaton-Fuller 18 speed Auto-Shift, 3.55 axle ratio. It has what it needs to get the job done and then some, darn thing is going to get me into serious trouble one of these days with the law as I run up the mountain.:B

Dave

You say you like to row the gears and you got an Auto-Shift? I'm just yanking your chain a little, sounds like a great choice. I have some time in a 10 speed AutoShift and I'm amazed by the little tricks it employs to complete shifts that I wouldn't dare try in a full manual.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr. Cob wrote:
73guna wrote:
We're you rolling through Nebraska today, I-80 eastbound?
Saw a rig/setup similar to yours east of Kearney Ne. around noon o'clock.
yes that was me, We are now at a rest stop having lunch before turning off the freeway and heading to Mark Twain Cave.

Dave

Stay out of caves!!! Just saying, having spend a year in Thailand 1966-67. You have covered some ground since I saw your rig at Frontier Village. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
yes that was me, We are now at a rest stop having lunch before turning off the freeway and heading to Mark Twain Cave.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

BStiers
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool setup, I would have enjoyed helping you build it. I would be scared putting the car on the deck. With my luck I would drive off the other side.

Cool project.

twichers
Explorer
Explorer
Went to your website detailing the build....love that deck.

Great setup.. thanks for sharing....

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr. Cob wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I enjoy driving my Pete but for loads under 30k I prefer a 1 ton.
From what you wrote, I am assuming your one ton will stop 30,000 pounds as quickly and as controllable as an HDT. Must be some sort of special edition one ton.

I am NOT giving you a hard time but braking ability and safety is one of the main reason that folks who use an HDT to tow large RV trailers do so. I had a 14,000 pound toy hauler push my 8,000 pound one ton through an intersection when attempting a panic stop, I don't even want to think about how bad the wreak would have been had I been towing 30,000 pounds that day.

Dave

A class 8 highway tractor is going to be able to stop a 20 or 30 thousand pound trailer in a reasonable distance even if the trailer brakes fail so if safety is a big concern a class 8 is probably the way to go. Or, if you want a little car to bomb around with once you arrive at your destination, Mr Cob's Pete is hard to beat. I'm just saying I enjoy driving my little pickup more than the Pete when the loads are lighter. I appreciate that the Ford is quieter and I find it a little more relaxing. I think the electric over hydraulic disc brakes on my 5ver could be set up to pull back on the truck in a panic situation. So, as long as things are working properly the new 1 tons are capable of handling some pretty heavy RVs.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
cummins who said anything about mileage?
you are correct however they get shameful mileage compared to a econ car -aero dynamics are not good.I dont see any reason for their existence whatso ever, but I own one and its fun and the only car that fits behind the sleeper.
License? more straw men? My truck and car will be 10's if not 100's of thousands cheaper in my lifespan of RV'ing . Licence/plates insurance even resale figured in.Remember up here in Canada your truck would cost me 100,000$ and $13,000 in taxes so horses for courses.
Downsides? just ask I got some you dont even know I bet.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, I just saw the Pete, Smartcart and toy hauler at Frontier Village.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I had a brand new Searay Sundancer 270/290, 11,500 with trailer, push our 76 3/4 T Chevy 4x4 into an intersection and the guy in the concrete truck saw what was happening and he not pull out in front of me. One of the EZ Loader brakes had not been put together corectly, and all the fluid was lost.

So your case for a 'big' truck is valid.

Not so sure about that as you were clearly overloaded for that truck. What would have happened if you were towing that same boat now with your 15 RAM?

More braking is always better than not enough but what is enough???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"From what you wrote, I am assuming your one ton will stop 30,000 pounds as quickly and as controllable as an HDT."

Above is the big lie about towing. The truck stops the truck and the RV stops the RV. The tractor with a 80k combined load sure won't stop the load any better if the trailer brakes are not working just like a DRW won't stop the combined 30K load either without trailer brakes.

It's a nice combo as I have mentioned but my DRW would have ZERO issues towing the op's RV fully loaded RV and be within specs. I also have no issue daily driving my DRW.

Not stirring the pot just posting the other side of the equation.

Hone Eagle sorry I dropped 50 points with you. Sure if I get hit on my MC I would not fare well but I feel i have a better chance of getting out of the way if need be. Another reason I am not a SmartCar fan is they really don't get that great of mileage for the weight. I license ONE tow vehicle and insure ONE.

OP it really is a nice setup just not everyones cup of tea. Other side needs to be discussed so people can be informed of the good bad and ugly of all options.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a brand new Searay Sundancer 270/290, 11,500 with trailer, push our 76 3/4 T Chevy 4x4 into an intersection and the guy in the concrete truck saw what was happening and he not pull out in front of me. One of the EZ Loader brakes had not been put together corectly, and all the fluid was lost.

So your case for a 'big' truck is valid.

Mr__Cob
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I enjoy driving my Pete but for loads under 30k I prefer a 1 ton.
From what you wrote, I am assuming your one ton will stop 30,000 pounds as quickly and as controllable as an HDT. Must be some sort of special edition one ton.

I am NOT giving you a hard time but braking ability and safety is one of the main reason that folks who use an HDT to tow large RV trailers do so. I had a 14,000 pound toy hauler push my 8,000 pound one ton through an intersection when attempting a panic stop, I don't even want to think about how bad the wreak would have been had I been towing 30,000 pounds that day.

Dave
Dave, aka, Mr. Cob