Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Cob wrote:

In Washington for example, there are 6 requirements to convert a semi into a motor home but you only have to do 4 of the 6 requirements.
There is no need for DOT numbers as it is NOT a commercial truck,
WA seems to struggle with the DOT thing on big trucks. I recently tried renewing my M2-106 online and it said I need a DOT number. I had to call and remind them it's not commercial.

In '13 when I first got it I spent one hour in the licensing office trying to convince them it was not a commercial vehicle. Apparently they had just 'upgraded' their computer system and it was not cooperating. After all, "nobody" would ever buy one of these trucks for personal use.

* This post was edited 06/30/18 07:10pm by 2oldman *

Mr. Cob

Granite Falls, WA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Mr. Cob wrote:

In Washington for example, there are 6 requirements to convert a semi into a motor home but you only have to do 4 of the 6 requirements.
There is no need for DOT numbers as it is NOT a commercial truck,
WA seems to struggle with the DOT thing on big trucks. I recently tried renewing my M2-106 online and it said I need a DOT number. I had to call and remind them it's not commercial.

In '13 when I first got it I spent one hour in the licensing office trying to convince them it was not a commercial vehicle. Apparently they had just 'upgraded' their computer system and it was not cooperating. After all, "nobody" would ever buy one of these trucks for personal use.
In Washington, most folks who work at the DMV or at the local licensing place don't have a clue as to how to deal with such things. You have to know the law, bring in a copy of the RCW and if need be force them to do their job which in most cases means they have to actually do a bit of research and then do the right thing. Once you have it properly titled and registered its not a problem.

Dave

Dave, aka, Mr. Cob
2001 Peterbilt 379, towing 2014 Voltage 3818 Toy Hauler.
View my photo web page here, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, can Momma drive it to relieve you?

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice setup but WHY. How do you park all three rigs on one campsight?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mr. Cob

Granite Falls, WA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Now, can Momma drive it to relieve you?
My wife is a good driver but she has NO experience with such a rig and in my opinion would be a danger to herself and everyone else on the road. As one who rowed gears for a living long ago I just love driving big iron always have always will.

Dave

Mr. Cob

Granite Falls, WA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nice setup but WHY. How do you park all three rigs on one campsight?
I do NOT want to be that guy holding up traffic when climbing the grade, I DO want to be that guy who has a tow vehicle that is capable of controlling my trailer and STOPPING it in a safe manner if a panic situation should occur. I do a lot of boon docking, I don't stay in many of the older parks they were built before folks drive the large RV's they do nowadays. That said its easier to maneuver and back the trailer with this truck then it was the Dodge one ton I had years ago.

Dave

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool rig and all, but it won't fit in the State Parks I go to.. Heck, my little 22' TT and my little F150 barely fit in the back in or pull thru sites..

Where do you go with that rig?

Not trying to be a smart ass.. Just wondering?

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

Mr. Cob

Granite Falls, WA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Cool rig and all, but it won't fit in the State Parks I go to.. Heck, my little 22' TT and my little F150 barely fit in the back in or pull thru sites..

Where do you go with that rig?

Not trying to be a smart ass.. Just wondering?

Mitch
I do a lot of boon docking, most modern camp grounds have sites that can handle a rig this size and more sites are being built all the time.

Dave

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. That makes sense.. Just wish everyone would go to those new sites! ha, ha.. I'm finding it harder and harder to get into my old stomping grounds these days.. Have to reserve a full 9 months ahead of time, just to get a site.

Still too many rigs for the sites available it seems.

Mitch

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting and nice rig. Is there a concern with the 5ver frame being fatigued while attached to a truck with a very stiff suspension?

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Finished my new tow vehicle, it works very well.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS