Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: GOOD SAM TRIP PLANNER
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> GOOD SAM TRIP PLANNER

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good HOT evening.
Are Rand McNally and the GS Trip Planner still available?
If so, which model Rand McNally gps?
Is anyone using this setup?
What are your pros and cons?
I like the idea of being able to create a trip, fine tune the route you want to take, pick cg's, attraction, etc.
And then exporting to the gps, and make printed copy.
Does the gps have free lifetime updates?
Can the trip planner export the trip to another brand of gps, such as the Garmin?
I am sure after I post this, I will think of other things that I should have asked. LOL
Thank you for you replies.

Bill
WØWJU
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
2015 Thor Motorcoach Chateau 31W
Toad: 2008 Chevy HHR

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the RVND 7 it comes with lifetime maps. It will suggest 2 routes, using the parameters you have plugged into the settings. If you want to pick your own routes you can use the GoodSam trip planner and move your routes around with your mouse. It will create a waypoint. Then you can upload the route to the GPS.

Using the Good Sam trip planner when planning trips. This gives me ideas of the routes. On long trips I figure out how many miles I want to go and see what campgrounds are around there. So far it has worked great for us.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2015 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
B&W companion slider.
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5, thanks for the reply.
You answered the questions I had.

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to be of assistance.

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5 I did think of another question. Have you used the attractions feature? What do you think of it?

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No we have not. We usually know what we want to see in an area we are in.

We do use Points of interest some. Especially if we are on the road and need to find something before we actually get to our destination. Or even if we are out sightseeing and we have time or we change plans and do not have address.

Happy trails.

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Toolguy5

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toolguy5 wrote:

On long trips I figure out how many miles I want to go and see what campgrounds are around there. So far it has worked great for us.

The last time I looked at the Trip Planner it did not do this - I had to physically measure out the distance myself, unlike Microsoft Streets&Trips, where I tell it when I want to stop driving, and it assigns a stop point which then lets me search for campgrounds within a specified distance from that stop point. Does the Trip Planner now assign stop points along the long routes, or is it still manual?

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

Toolguy5 wrote:

On long trips I figure out how many miles I want to go and see what campgrounds are around there. So far it has worked great for us.

The last time I looked at the Trip Planner it did not do this - I had to physically measure out the distance myself, unlike Microsoft Streets&Trips, where I tell it when I want to stop driving, and it assigns a stop point which then lets me search for campgrounds within a specified distance from that stop point. Does the Trip Planner now assign stop points along the long routes, or is it still manual?

The way I do it is have it show where campgrounds are at. Then guess and click on them to see distance. I have to add to trip then if I don't like it remove.

LeeOdell

ELKHORN

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the planner recently for a 3000+ mile trip we plan to take to the Canadian Rockies this fall. While it has some features that other planners do not have I do have some suggestions that would make it much more useful. (I hope Good Sam Club and Rand McNally are listening):

1. Provide an option for setting a daily limit in miles and or hours, that will help in figuring out where to stop for the night when traveling to a specific destination. So far, I have used Google maps for this and have to guess where to end a day's trip and then go looking for campgrounds.
2. Provide the ability to show circles around a selected point indicating some number of miles, such as 50, 100, 250 and 500, even 'as the crow flies' would be helpful.
3. Allow export of the route to a standard GPS file rather than only allow connection to Rand McN. devices. I know you want to sell more of your devices but I've already got a few hundred invested in another brand. When it comes time to replace it I doubt I'll even look at Rand McNally because of this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> GOOD SAM TRIP PLANNER
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS