Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: massive solar install
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mako,

In your shoes parallel may be the best you can do. That, of course, means sticking with 12 volts. Or sell the panels and start over.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mako Kupo

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Mako,

In your shoes parallel may be the best you can do. That, of course, means sticking with 12 volts. Or sell the panels and start over.

thats okay with me. I bought my panels to fit my roof perfectly, once I have the rest up there ill upload pics. I do have a youtube channel(Rollin Nerdy) if you want to check it out.

what I can do is buy compatible 24v stuff that will also work with a 12v setup, so eventually I can build a 24v system and all ill need is new panels. not a major loss, as least I don't think so. it just means fat cables (which I already have), and it means I get to work with what I am familiar with. I do love learning new things and will eventually switch to 24 or 48v.

so for 12v, do you recommend the things I linked in the OP?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLLSGMY/ref=twister_B00XKDUM9I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I know its an inverter and will invert 12v to 120v, but I can't figure out what else it does. int allows me to plug into shore power and charge my battery bank. if thats the case, I don't need the conventional RV converter setup right? thank you so, so much!

side note: this is a wonderful idea I think. picture you moving into a 20 foot motorhome that already has permanently mounted 850w 12v solar panels all in parallel. you have $8,000 to spend on your power supply. a generator is not an option. knowing what you know, and what you have for panels, what would YOU guys buy? lithium is a must.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I don't recommend AIMS. There is no easy way to use a 24 volt inverter with a 12 volt battery bank.

Since the panels are nominally 12 volt, but different amperages, the battery bank has to follow suit at 12 volts.

It is unlikely that I would have purchased the panels from renogy and unlikely that I would have gone with 12 volt panels at all.

* This post was edited 07/04/18 10:47am by pianotuna *

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mako Kupo wrote:

I know its an inverter and will invert 12v to 120v, but I can't figure out what else it does. int allows me to plug into shore power and charge my battery bank. if thats the case, I don't need the conventional RV converter setup right?
No, the charger in the Aims will not likely work for Li batteries. Li's don't require 3-stage charging, most just do bulk and float.

Those panels you listed must be connected in parallel. In series you'll lose a lot of amperage with those small panels.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave17352 wrote:

I would think they are selling what they think are appropriate

I looked into Battleborn a while ago, they don't make chargers. On their site they sell Progressive Dynamics PD9100L series, namely 30-60-80A.

Manual. No charging profile that I can see, though 3 pages of safety instructions [emoticon].

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS