Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Mechanical issues with V-10
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Mechanical issues with V-10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Brownleaf

Durham

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2004 24 ft. BT Cruiser with 45k miles and a V-10 engine. It runs rough with vibration. At this point until I drive it more cannot be more specific. I am wondering if owners with similar V-10's had some common issues. I am hoping it is not transmission as that seemed to be around $9000. Wait to hear, Doug

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has it spit out a spark plug?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has 66k on it and it runs perfectly. I've only put about 8k on it myself, but the previous owner had not maintained as they should. I change my own fluids, filters, and front brakes. Anything more I'd take it to a shop. A Ford dealer will charge a lot but it will work.

Is it miss firing or throwing a check engine code or anything?

2000 Minnie 31C V10

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put in 2 cans of seafoam. Fill with premium gas. Drive it for at least one hour at highway speeds.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on seafoam. It obviously can't fix everything but for the price it's always worth a try.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running rough sounds like engine and not so likely trans. That old but low miles, fuel system is a good place to start. X3 on the seafoam trial.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have fun with seafoam. If fuel filter is in bypass mode because its plugged up be prepared to pull every injector and remove **** from injector screens that got pushed forward from Filter being plugged

Pull code
Change fuel filter
Test fuel pressure
Before going to next steps of necessary

ol' yeller

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rough running on that vintage V10 could also likely be one or more bad coil packs. The rubber boot around the coil pack deteriorates and cracks with age and lets water down around the plug and shorts out the coil.

2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A Class C
Oh yeah, the wife & Beagle come along too!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Brownleaf

Durham

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for response on rough riding V-10. I need to drive it again to be more specific. If several things are sort of fusing to cause my symptoms it becomes vague to me exactly what is going on. I would like to know if it did have transmission issues what would be the symptoms. I wonder about the guy who sold it to me. Seemed like a nice guy and not obviously dishonest but when he opened the hood the battery had alot of corrosion on it and to go for the oil stick he first pulled out the trans stick before finding the oil stick. It was a legitimate title and he seemed to know all about the house part. Nice to be on the forum and to hear from other RV'ers I had a nice Toy and mechanics messed it up so i have been without one for 2 years. Doug

ol' yeller

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol' yeller wrote:

Rough running on that vintage V10 could also likely be one or more bad coil packs. The rubber boot around the coil pack deteriorates and cracks with age and lets water down around the plug and shorts out the coil.

To add, the plugs are down in a well in the head which holds water remarkably well depite the high temps under the hood. Also the V10 runs remarkably well with several plugs misfiring.

Usually tranny problems would be things like slipping or mis shifting.

Go to your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and borrow (or rent) an engine code reader. That is the best place to start. You can't mess up your engine using one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Mechanical issues with V-10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS